Browns General Discussion

candyman93

It appears that there are three viable options on the table at this point to replace Drew Petzig as QB coach.

A). - Allow Alex van Pelt to return to his dual QB coach/OC role.

B.) - I saw a tweet the other day the Browns may be interested in Sean Ryan as QB coach. He has history, and good history, with Deshaun when the two of them were in Houston. In 2018, under Sean's tutelage, Watson was 345/505 for 4165 yards, 26 TDs, and 9 picks.

Currently, Sean is on the Panthers staff - but the smart money says being a Matt Rhule hire -  he may not be retained there with a new incoming coaching regime.

C.) - I saw yesterday on Twitter that Stefanski may want to get James Urban - current QB coach on the Ravens staff. The two have history together and Stefanski tried to hire him in the past. Lamar did develop as a passer under him. With a new OC in Baltimore, Urban's position may be tenuous at best.

Personally, I much prefer option B or C to option A. I think C is what eventually happens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Ryan_(American_football_coach)

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/2/19/23606219/james-urban-browns-ravens-qb-coach

Edited by brooks1957
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

It appears that there are three viable options on the table at this point to replace Drew Petzig as QB coach.

A). - Allow Alex van Pelt to return to his dual QB coach/OC role.

B.) - I saw a tweet the other day the Browns may be interested in Sean Ryan as QB coach. He has history, and good history, with Deshaun when the two of them were in Houston. In 2018, under Sean's tutelage, Watson was 345/505 for 4165 yards, 26 TDs, and 9 picks.

Currently, Sean is on the Panthers staff - but the smart money says being a Matt Rhule hire -  he may not be retained there with a new incoming coaching regime.

C.) - I saw yesterday on Twitter that Stefanski may want to get James Urban - current QB coach on the Ravens staff. The two have history together and Stefanski tried to hire him in the past. Lamar did develop as a passer under him. With a new OC in Baltimore, Urban's position may be tenuous at best.

Personally, I much prefer option B or C to option A. I think C is what eventually happens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Ryan_(American_football_coach)

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/2/19/23606219/james-urban-browns-ravens-qb-coach

It seems like we’ve been linked to Sean Ryan for about a decade 

On 2/19/2023 at 9:26 AM, candyman93 said:

Drew Petzing has been hired as the Cards OC

Such a weird hire

I wouldnt say a weird Hire......we have some REALLY good young coaches on the staff...that's why loosing Kiffen and Hafney didnt worry me ONE BIT.....

But I wanted to keep Petzing....I thought he was an up and coming young coach....but I expected Father Callahan, Stump or Oshea to get an OC this offseason. When extended our Clergyman I was happy LOL

31 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Interesting, I looked dude up...not much info on him...except he was a 25 year old walk on in college. And he worked as a Bartender WHILE playing.......sounds like my type of GUY!!!!

I wonder what's the connection to Schwartz or Stefanski?

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Interesting, I looked dude up...not much info on him...except he was a 25 year old walk on in college. And he worked as a Bartender WHILE playing.......sounds like my type of GUY!!!!

I wonder what's the connection to Schwartz or Stefanski?

Never heard of him either but I’ve always liked hiring coordinators for position jobs. If you can work your way up the ladder to coach an entire defense you’ll probably be a good at coaching one position. 

• Like 2