Browns General Discussion

candyman93

There is one loophole that Andrew Berry has used here. It is called the Veteran Minimum Salary Benefit. Below is the deal he has signed.

The Veteran Minimum Salary Benefit was created by the NFLPA to incentivize teams to keep around older players rather than forcing them out and replacing them with cheaper rookie contracts. Below is Chris Hubbard's contract which allows you to see how it works.

11672023.png(Photo: Over The Cap)

Based on how this works I would expect the cap number for Takitaki to be $1,232,500. This is due to the signing bonus being $152,500 and then added to the smallest base salary for someone who has played four credited seasons which is $1,080,000. I will have these numbers 100% checked and report back if there are any changes. This contract locks him in for the season so his name can be written in pen for the 53-man roster but he could start the season on the PUP (Physically Unable to Perform) List.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/Salary-Cap-Trick-Andrew-Berry-Used-In-Sione-Takitaki-Cleveland-Browns-Contract-206529235/

I guarantee he’s trying to land 1 more big fish. It will probably be a trade.