Browns General Discussion

candyman93

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

He’s still got a lot of issues going on off the field. Those legal issues haven’t gone all the way away. Which could still be an issue going into this year. 

I’d have to believe if someone had an indictable case they’d have come forward by now I’d they were planning to.  Maybe not, anything is possible, but thus far nothing has come up.

Unless there’s a new case with some sort of evidence, I don’t believe the league can suspend him again.  Iirc all possible claims/future claims from that time period got lumped into the one punishment under the settlement.

That still wouldn’t mean he’d forget how to play football.

Build a super top heavy roster and fill the rest with extremely cheap rookie contracts. Pick 74 for us is only going to be like 1.3 million. I mentioned it in another thread, I will be shocked if we don’t trade that other 3rd rounder for picks in 2024.

Watson became available because of chaos in the front office which predated his sex scandal. He had become disgruntled. He was upset that they fired Bill O'Brien and were not giving him any input on the hiring of O'Brien's replacement which he believed they had promised to give to him.  He had requested a trade by January of 2021.  The first civil suit was not filed until mid March of 2021.  

None the less, whatever the exact reason, qb's of Deshaun's caliber rarely become available in their prime.  (We will see what happens with Lamar, although it seems he is on the Kirk Cousins path to a new team unless there is a deal this offseason.)

I don't think it was an overpay to acquire Watson.  It's a risky move but it is just the cost of doing business.  The Brown's offer is the result of a bidding war.  Four teams all willing to pay the Texans entry fee of 3 1st round picks.  Watson's extension was going to happen, he makes what other top qb's make per year.  The only unusual term is the full guarantee. As a fan, I really don't see the problem with the full guarantee.  Because of the cap even without a full guarantee, the team is stuck with a player for 3 years minimum regardless.  If Watson stinks, does it really matter whether we are stuck for 2 more years or 4?  Either way this window is done, and the team will have to go into full rebuild mode anyhow.  I get why the owner's hate it, they have to put that money in an escrow account, (which is a rule that the owners could change if they wanted to level the playing field for the 'poorer' owners).  Jimmy's richer than sin and could make an offer that the other 3 owners either couldn't or wouldn't make.  That is how you win in a multiple offer bidding situation.  Just ask folks who bought houses during a hot real estate market.  People love capitalism but when they see it in action, then it's stupid.😉

TLDR Watson wanted out because he was disgruntled, three 1st round picks was the price set by the Texans, if he wins it's worth it, if he don't it ain't, don't care about how much money Jimmy guaranteed to pay Watson over 5 years.😉

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

college gameday sport GIF

That’s per the JJ chart which isn’t necessarily what all teams are using.

I personally don’t love the new one at 211. I believe there’s more difference than 42 and 74 than the equivalent of a 7th. I think even the Rich Hill is a better barometer there. Just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I personally don’t love the new one at 211. I believe there’s more difference than 42 and 74 than the equivalent of a 7th. I think even the Rich Hill is a better barometer there. Just my opinion.

I’d agree just off gut feeling, but I’m assuming it’s essentially trying to show that there’s not as much difference between 42 and 74 as many people think talent wise and often just having another pick is the better play long term.

Generally speaking w/analytics more picks = better.

I just look at this as instead of hoping a guy like Hyatt is there at 42 and then drafting him, we get a comparable player who’s more proven at the NFL level but under contract for 2 less seasons and a 3rd rounder.  

I like bigger receivers, but the need for a deep threat has been obvious for like 3 years now.  Since Perriman probably.  Moore should at least fill that role and offers a lot of RAC/slot upside.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d agree just off gut feeling, but I’m assuming it’s essentially trying to show that there’s not as much difference between 42 and 74 as many people think talent wise and often just having another pick is the better play long term.

Generally speaking w/analytics more picks = better.

I just look at this as instead of hoping a guy like Hyatt is there at 42 and then drafting him, we get a comparable player who’s more proven at the NFL level but under contract for 2 less seasons and a 3rd rounder.  

I like bigger receivers, but the need for a deep threat has been obvious for like 3 years now.  Since Perriman probably.  Moore should at least fill that role and offers a lot of RAC/slot upside.

For me, I’d make a joke about Berry knowing his limitations and trading for a guy vs drafting, but I’ve personally held to this for a while in all honesty. Take a guy who is proven or shown flashes as opposed to a complete unknown most of the time IMO.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

For me, I’d make a joke about Berry knowing his limitations and trading for a guy vs drafting, but I’ve personally held to this for a while in all honesty. Take a guy who is proven or shown flashes as opposed to a complete unknown most of the time IMO.

People will point to the fact he’s only locked up for 2 more seasons, but that’s a long time in NFL years lol.

we’ve got 2 years to use him and then either extend him or let him factor into the comp formula while also having 2 more season to draft someone to fill his role.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

People will point to the fact he’s only locked up for 2 more seasons, but that’s a long time in NFL years lol.

we’ve got 2 years to use him and then either extend him or let him factor into the comp formula while also having 2 more season to draft someone to fill his role.

Betting on an either/or on him and DPJ getting signed but not both.

• Like 1

Just saw this move. Something tells me there’s a reason he fell out of favor in NY and they moved on from a talented 22 year old and made upgrades at the position. 

I hate this move man. High-ish second round to 3rd round is a decent value drop. Keep options open with that pick. Especially without a 1st. Berry’s starting to chap my ***. 

4 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Just saw this move. Something tells me there’s a reason he fell out of favor in NY and they moved on from a talented 22 year old and made upgrades at the position. 

I hate this move man. High-ish second round to 3rd round is a decent value drop. Keep options open with that pick. Especially without a 1st. Berry’s starting to chap my ***. 

I think he fell out of favor because Moore essentially called out Zach Wilson. Can't say other Jets receivers haven't made it obvious that they're not a fan of Wilson either.

Plus, the Jets are likely trying to acquire the draft capital to get Rodgers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

I think he fell out of favor because Moore essentially called out Zach Wilson. Can't say other Jets receivers haven't made it obvious that they're not a fan of Wilson either.

Other Jets receivers, Jets head coach, now the Jets GM…

Wilson was *** and he got frustrated.  He’s a diva, but he’s talented. Hopefully guys like Amari, DPJ, Bell, etc who are all quiet and workers can mellow him a bit.

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

Plus, the Jets are likely trying to acquire the draft capital to get Rodgers.

Yeah, that seems to be a lot of it.  They want the second rounder to add to the pot.

• Like 1