Browns General Discussion

candyman93

19 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I bet he still thinks he is obj. 

I want him the same way I want herpes. Not at all. 

Yeah, only way to know is to ask.

A 1 year “build back your value” deal that’s incentive laden for team performance could be workable.

If he’s fine as a #2/3, maybe returning some punts, Idk, that’s a useful player.  His ability to improvise might be a great fit with Watson too who’s at his best improvising whereas Baker wanted things to work very meticulously and depended on guys being on time in the right place.

Cooper, OBJ, Moore, DPJ is a pretty formidable 1-4 WR group tbh.

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, only way to know is to ask.

A 1 year “build back your value” deal that’s incentive laden for team performance could be workable.

If he’s fine as a #2/3, maybe returning some punts, Idk, that’s a useful player.  His ability to improvise might be a great fit with Watson too who’s at his best improvising whereas Baker wanted things to work very meticulously and depended on guys being on time in the right place.

Cooper, OBJ, Moore, DPJ is a pretty formidable 1-4 WR group tbh.

If Stefanski can’t figure out how to call plays for that WR group he needs to be fired and just be a run game coordinator the rest of his career. 

• Like 2

Bring back OBJ? I mean, realistically he’d be our #3/4 at best if he even has gas left in the tank here.

That said, it just goes to show how every single individual in the building viewed Baker/OBJ in the whole way he ended things dynamic.

Who was our GM that refused to trade him before things went public? Someone clearly who doesn’t understand things like roster building or how to get value, let alone locker room dynamics or a functional workplace chemistry.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Bring back OBJ? I mean, realistically he’d be our #3/4 at best if he even has gas left in the tank here.

And he’d need to understand that more than anyone.

He has a decent skill set and can still provide value, but is he gonna be ok with not getting 10 targets a game?

That said, it just goes to show how every single individual in the building viewed Baker/OBJ in the whole way he ended things dynamic.

yeah the team made it obvious right away that he wasn’t a bad teammate or whatever, but if the FO and coaching staff seem open to the idea it really does blow up any narrative of him being a problem here.

Who was our GM that refused to trade him before things went public?

So he should just trade or cut everyone who demands it privately?  That would include at least Hunt and Njoku who still played and weren’t an issue let alone every dude we may not know about.

Someone clearly who doesn’t understand things like roster building or how to get value,

He took a “gamble” that it wouldn’t blow up, it did and we moved on.  As far as maximizing value that assumes there was value to be had.  We have no idea if there were even any trade offers to choose from and what the terms were.  You’re making assumptions.

let alone locker room dynamics or a functional workplace chemistry.

This is a contradiction of what you said 2 sentences ago.  Clearly the team, the coaches and the FO didn’t see OBJ as a distraction or issue. Fans did, the media made a spectacle of it, but the folks in the building seemingly weren’t upset.  

If anything the whole situation shows they do understand the issue.  They moved on from OBJ to try to salvage the season with the players they had but understood that Baker didn’t have the ability (or the locker room) to get them where they wanted to be and made a move to upgrade the position in the off-season.

25 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And he’d need to understand that more than anyone.

He has a decent skill set and can still provide value, but is he gonna be ok with not getting 10 targets a game?

We don’t know that he still has a decent skill set coming off a major injury after years of regression to the mean at best

yeah the team made it obvious right away that he wasn’t a bad teammate or whatever, but if the FO and coaching staff seem open to the idea it really does blow up any narrative of him being a problem here.

So he should just trade or cut everyone who demands it privately?  That would include at least Hunt and Njoku who still played and weren’t an issue let alone every dude we may not know about.

Show of hands for those who think we’d have been better off not taking the mid round pick(s) on the table allegedly for Kareem Hunt as opposed to the wasted touches he got last year?

As for Njoku, he wanted a payday and got it.

He took a “gamble” that it wouldn’t blow up, it did and we moved on.  As far as maximizing value that assumes there was value to be had.  We have no idea if there were even any trade offers to choose from and what the terms were.  You’re making assumptions.

Considering he squashed the market, hard to say. His albatross of a contract I’m sure didn’t help.

This is a contradiction of what you said 2 sentences ago.  Clearly the team, the coaches and the FO didn’t see OBJ as a distraction or issue. Fans did, the media made a spectacle of it, but the folks in the building seemingly weren’t upset.  

No, I’m absolutely consistent here. We chose to eat money as opposed to shopping him when we had the chance.

If anything the whole situation shows they do understand the issue.  They moved on from OBJ to try to salvage the season with the players they had but understood that Baker didn’t have the ability (or the locker room) to get them where they wanted to be and made a move to upgrade the position in the off-season.

Seems like the coaching staff knew Baker wasn’t it a full year before the FO did and that’s a problem as well. If you force the HC to make it work with a quarterback, you shop distractions as opposed to continuing to do what you’ve always done.

32 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

We don’t know that he still has a decent skill set coming off a major injury after years of regression to the mean at best

That’s why they went to the workout, to see what he looks like physically.  I’m guessing if he looked washed we wouldn’t have seen him and Stefanski talking afterwards. 

Show of hands for those who think we’d have been better off not taking the mid round pick(s) on the table allegedly for Kareem Hunt as opposed to the wasted touches he got last year?

The key word there is allegedly. Based on the running back market we’re seeing now I’m skeptical teams were offering up mid round picks for a 7 game rental of Hunt tbh.

As for Njoku, he wanted a payday and got it.

You’re saying they figured out a solution after a trade request was made?  That was my entire point. 

Considering he squashed the market, hard to say. His albatross of a contract I’m sure didn’t help.

His contract was absolutely a factor paired with his lack of production here and his ever mounting injury history. 

No, I’m absolutely consistent here. We chose to eat money as opposed to shopping him when we had the chance.

shopping and finding a trade partner to make a deal with aren’t one and the same.  we have no clue what if anything was offered.  

If they left a deal on the table it was a mistake obviously, but to assume so just because it helps make your point doesn’t make it so.

Seems like the coaching staff knew Baker wasn’t it a full year before the FO did and that’s a problem as well. If you force the HC to make it work with a quarterback, you shop distractions as opposed to continuing to do what you’ve always done.

What was the alternative to Baker after the 2020 season?  

It’s the same argument some make about Watson, who are you getting that’s going to be an upgrade and win us more games?  I’ve yet to see a single viable answer. Fans of a team that hasn’t had a consistent starter at QB since the 80’s still seem to fail to grasp how hard it is to find an elite QB.

2020 baker put up solid numbers and led us to the first playoff appearance since W’s first term and all of this in his first year in the offense.  You’re using hindsight and acting like the decision at the time was obvious and absolutely was not. 

As far as the distraction, we’re back to the original point. He (OBJ) wasn’t a distraction to the team, staff or FO it would seem. 

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Who was our GM that refused to trade him before things went public? Someone clearly who doesn’t understand things like roster building or how to get value, let alone locker room dynamics or a functional workplace chemistry.

You should change your username to @32liWM

• Like 4

Put some respect on my man mike’s name. 

Just because you put a crown on your heads don’t make you a king. Bunch of imitators smh. 

There’s only one mike. if he was the general manager, the Browns would have top 5 playmaker, ojabo edge, a QB that beat Pittsburgh in the playoffs and owns burroughs, woods proven coordinator. Instead we have a 4-12 last full season Client-list QB. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Put some respect on my man mike’s name. 

Just because you put a crown on your heads don’t make you a king. Bunch of imitators smh. 

There’s only one mike. if he was the general manager, the Browns would have top 5 playmaker, ojabo edge, a QB that beat Pittsburgh in the playoffs and owns burroughs, woods proven coordinator. Instead we have a 4-12 last full season Client-list QB. 

don't forget dt jarrett and jameson williams. thank you.

• Like 1