Browns General Discussion

candyman93

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

It’s a good thing they’re not the only team we play and could go theoretically 14-2 then.

Or we could just sign one or two veteran LBs for cheap deals and not have to worry about basically penciling in 2 auto losses every year because of our defensive scheme

Daron Lee.....we need to sign him and bang on....

I for one am not as upset as some.....as long as we get Mack Wilson back in the first quarter/half of the year. I like a Phillips a lot....I also am a fan of Willie Harvy, got to see him at Iowa State a couple times looking at other players I was scouting and he kept making plays and standing out.....Solomon Ajayi was a person I wanted stashed on the practice squad anyway (good bloodlines)...

28 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2020/08/19/clay-matthews-cleveland-browns/

According to Pro Football Focus(subscription required), Matthews graded 94th overall (54.5) out of 103 edge defenders graded. Matthews was also 102nd out of 103 in coverage and 80th in run defense during the 2019 season.

Which is exactly why we didn’t sign him. Not a scheme fit. He’s always just been a pass rusher. 

Joe Woods has me excited in general. He’s always maximized the talent he’s had to work with in the secondary. 

He was the DBs coach for the Broncos No Fly Zone. He got a lot out of the 49ers secondary as well. Got to also develop some great Minnesota secondaries during his career as well.

He will get the most out of the guys we have now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Yep cause Watt properly develops here in Cleveland like he did in Pittsburgh....

Yep.

Ive been saying it for years, our biggest issue over the last 20 years hasn’t been talent/drafting/coaching, it’s been impatience and lack of continuity which kills our ability to develop talent.

I mean, these young guys who “need to show us something” (Baker, Njoku, etc) are literally on their 3rd or 4th coach and scheme in as many years.  That’s not a recipe for success.  Imagine how much further ahead the offense would be if they were in year 3 or 4 of the same scheme as opposed to learning something completely different every year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yep.

Ive been saying it for years, our biggest issue over the last 20 years hasn’t been talent/drafting/coaching, it’s been impatience and lack of continuity which kills our ability to develop talent.

I mean, these young guys who “need to show us something” (Baker, Njoku, etc) are literally on their 3rd or 4th coach and scheme in as many years.  That’s not a recipe for success.  Imagine how much further ahead the offense would be if they were in year 3 or 4 of the same scheme as opposed to learning something completely different every year.

You’re kinda right, but Myles Garrett and Nick Chubb have dealt with the exact same problems. I think Denzel is going to be a superstar too and he’s had injuries screw him.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence the 3 I mentioned carry themselves with a certain demeanor in contrast to Njoku and Baker.