Browns General Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Hopefully Vernon stays healthy. His play was underwhelming last year, but I don't think he was as bad as some on here make it seem. Just certainly wasn't worth $15 million a year.

Spot on imo.  I believe it was @Mind Character (rip?) that has repeatedly pointed out that while he was underwhelming, finding someone who’s both better and cheaper is not really possible (at least based on FA/proven players).

11 million is a pretty good price imo.  Team friendly in fact.

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

That signals no Clowney or Yan to me. 

Also @LETSGOBROWNIES about Baker, have you noticed the QB market lately? Cam had a brutal time landing a job and he’s a former MVP. Baker can leave if he wants to, but the market isn’t going to be that open for him unless he wants a Jameis Winston role.

Maybe, but I see your point.

I think Cam and Jamies are slightly different though.

Cam has an injury history and with his style of play isn’t likely to age well.  Jamies has had decent coaching and skill talent and still throws an absurd amount of picks, even 5 years in.

Baker is still young and the coaching/organization has been enough of a train wreck I could see teams looking past his 2019 season.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

He has played like a solid 2nd te at best. I agree with LGB, his best football is a head of him, he just has a very long road a head before he is consistent enough to that. 

Heck learning off Hooper, who is a far superior player with half the talent might be the best thing he can do for a year. 

If we are going to trade him it needs to be for a 2nd next year not a 5th this year 

This is what I'm thinking here.....If I'm A.B., I just simply tell him NO, sit down, gear up and get ready to rock and roll this year.

For me, having him as a #2 option, giving my Rookie Head Coach, the ideal pieces for his preferred offensive scheme...is worth more than what we would get in return for him right now....a 3rd round pick or later does not interest me at all to upset the apple cart right now.

Unless someone pony's up a 2nd round pick, I simply reply with

tenor.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe, but I see your point.

I think Cam and Jamies are slightly different though.

Cam has an injury history and with his style of play isn’t likely to age well.  Jamies has had decent coaching and skill talent and still throws an absurd amount of picks, even 5 years in.

Baker is still young and the coaching/organization has been enough of a train wreck I could see teams looking past his 2019 season.

If Baker repeats last year, there’s no difference between him and Jameis.

Am I the only one who is thinking this? WE have a new young HC, and he runs a 2 TE offense...we have a former 1rst round pick under contract for 2 more years, what is our incentive to trade him? I personally get steamed up for our TE room with Hooper, Njoku and Harrison....thats a LOT of potential....especially since next year we COULD be rebuilding the entire WR corps....think of where our WR corps is right now....and next year could be minus Higgins and either Landry or OBJ in addition to Kareem Hunt.....I PERSONALLY want to keep that TE room together for the next 2 seasons.....ITS gonna be needed.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Am I the only one who is thinking this? WE have a new young HC, and he runs a 2 TE offense...we have a former 1rst round pick under contract for 2 more years, what is our incentive to trade him? I personally get steamed up for our TE room with Hooper, Njoku and Harrison....thats a LOT of potential....especially since next year we COULD be rebuilding the entire WR corps....think of where our WR corps is right now....and next year could be minus Higgins and either Landry or OBJ in addition to Kareem Hunt.....I PERSONALLY want to keep that TE room together for the next 2 seasons.....ITS gonna be needed.....

well reports have stated that the team has talked to him and told Njoku what their plans are for him but that he still wants to be traded. I think the dude is just salty that he wont be the #1 TE IMO and that he wont see the kind of contract that Hooper got.

I was excited about our potential TE room but because I really liked Bryant, Carlson, and Brown. 

51 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If Baker repeats last year, there’s no difference between him and Jameis.

Baker needs to improve, I’m not saying that, but this is his 3rd year with his 4th head coach.  Two of which are certified idiots.

I’m just saying he’s never had time under a guy like Arians or hell, even Koetter.

Jameis had years 1-4 with the same offense and lots of skill position talent around him.  Baker is on system 3? 4?    Keep this up and we’ll likely ruin the kid, but I think he still has a chance to be good if we can just limit the bumpkins involved in his development.

• Like 1

Here's my stance on Vernon's restructure and how it relates to Clowney or Yannick...

Suppose you've decided you would keep Vernon onboard even if you sign Clowney, which many of us think is a good idea; more passrushers the better, depth, rush packages with Myles, Clowney, Vernon, and Clayborn, etc...

If that's the plan, then this restructuring doesn't exclude Clowney by any means, it helps. You were going to keep Vernon anyway, now you save $4 mill you can put towards Clowney/Yannick.

Maybe we're out on them, but maybe not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Baker needs to improve, I’m not saying that, but this is his 3rd year with his 4th head coach.  Two of which are certified idiots.

I’m just saying he’s never had time under a guy like Arians or hell, even Koetter.

Jameis had years 1-4 with the same offense and lots of skill position talent around him.  Baker is on system 3? 4?    Keep this up and we’ll likely ruin the kid, but I think he still has a chance to be good if we can just limit the bumpkins involved in his development.

among the coaches you have had, and the voice of reason is Gregg Williams, you know that things haven't been too good.

• Like 1

I’d trade Njoku to Washington for a 4th and call it a day. Harrison Bryant is going to be a stud. He just needs more muscle.

Berry wants draft capital to make his mark.

It’s why I predict Kareem Hunt will be traded before the trade deadline. Boost his value and then move him. I’m eyeballing Tampa Bay.

Edited by candyman93

2 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

Here's my stance on Vernon's restructure and how it relates to Clowney or Yannick...

Suppose you've decided you would keep Vernon onboard even if you sign Clowney, which many of us think is a good idea; more passrushers the better, depth, rush packages with Myles, Clowney, Vernon, and Clayborn, etc...

If that's the plan, then this restructuring doesn't exclude Clowney by any means, it helps. You were going to keep Vernon anyway, now you save $4 mill you can put towards Clowney/Yannick.

Maybe we're out on them, but maybe not.

I like win win contract negotiations, works for vernon and us.