Roster rule changes for 2020

dcat

42 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I guess I personally never understood this line of thinking. I always love(d) that potential aspect. Who wouldn't want to see Usain Bolt return a kick? What about Minut Bol block a kick a few times a game? I think that nuance would be intriguing. 

Imagine, a team has to decide to go for it on 4th and 2 from the 40 because Bol has already blocked 5 FG in the last 6 games.  

Yeah exciting for fans.  But it would always drive the teams who don't have those guys crazy.  Because not every team would have a Bolt or Bol or whoever.  They're too few and far between.

44 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I guess I personally never understood this line of thinking.

The "old guard" owners were all about the integrity of the game, the money /entertainment guys came on the scene later after these rules were in place.
The old guard viewed Bolt as a gimmick and not REAL football. And since there isn't an unlimited supply of Usain Bolts it gives one team an unfair advantage as noted above.

The old guard owners were all about what's good for the league, ( thanks to Pete Rozelle) while the newer owners are more focused on gaining a personal advantage and making mo money. What you're describing is more of an entertainment deal and the modern owners would be all over it 

So it comes down to sportsmanship vs gamesmanship. And the pendulum has definitely swung towards gamesmanship - we've already seen certain franchises that are always on the wrong side of the sportsmanship debate and limiting rosters is a part of trying to keep that in check.

If you want to see Usain Bolt return a kick-off, that's what the Pro Bowl should do to boost ratings -  and they don't actually tackle anyways so its a good fit

Sorry but the rules and league in general (32 teams not 6 to 13) has evolved from what the owners ever envisioned in the 1940's. Some rules should be adapted and expanded upon with the absurd amount of injuries occurring to teams these days. Extra 2 players is a start but still not enough IMO. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I guess I personally never understood this line of thinking. I always love(d) that potential aspect. Who wouldn't want to see Usain Bolt return a kick? What about Minut Bol block a kick a few times a game? I think that nuance would be intriguing. 

Imagine, a team has to decide to go for it on 4th and 2 from the 40 because Bol has already blocked 5 FG in the last 6 games.  

Anyone as tall as Bol would probably have their knees shattered after 1 or 2 plays lol

On 6/14/2020 at 5:31 AM, Malfatron said:

It has to be a convoluted rule, doesnt it?

Couldnt just increase the active roster to 55

not when you also raise the league minimum

practice squad players make less $

On 6/15/2020 at 9:57 AM, MWil23 said:

Agreed.

That all would be so cool to watch.

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

How high is ball usually as it approaches LOS on a field goal kick?

Can't find it anywhere.

The kick is probably high enough without penetration toward kicker that it won't work.

It think if it could be done easily by just a 7 footer and good jumper from behind LOS then teams would do it.    It would be worth a roster spot to completely shut down kicking game.