2021 MLB Draft Thread(Prospect Top 10s)

Hoping for either a value pick (like McLain in devils mock) or Hoglund/Bednar/Ford at 15 then Stovall/Black/Baez/Pacheco at 33. Preparing for Jordan Wicks and Jud Fabian tho lmao.

Edited by beekay414
2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I’d be good with Bubba Chandler to the Cardinals. Jealous of the first 2 Miami picks lol. 

Why do you think Joshua Baez goes that low?

There are about 50 names thrown around for maybe the last 15 picks of the first round. I just havent seen where his name is being attached to teams right now. I obviously have him as a top 20 player. It just seems like teams are more all over the board this year with the difficulties that have come with scouting the past year. He's probably just gotten lost in the shuffle. Also, maybe his asking price is high. There are a few guys floating out monster numbers and are causing teams to pause. He could be one.

36 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Hoping for either a value pick (like McLain in devils mock) or Hoglund/Bednar/Ford at 15 then Stovall/Black/Baez/Pacheco at 33. Preparing for Jordan Wicks and Jud Fabian tho lmao.

I think Fabian either has a guarantee or he is very serious about going back to Florida next year since he left high school a year early and can move his stock back up since he is supposedly wanting top 15 money.

If one of the three college bats are gone, I think its Wicks or Hoglund with the first pick.

3 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

I think Fabian either has a guarantee or he is very serious about going back to Florida next year since he left high school a year early and can move his stock back up since he is supposedly wanting top 15 money.

If one of the three college bats are gone, I think its Wicks or Hoglund with the first pick.

Yeah, I'm just speaking in generalities there. Basically saying that I expect them to take two guys I'm not a fan of.

I'm hoping that, if he doesn't rise on draft day like you have him, Ford gets serious consideration but I'm expecting a college pitcher.

16 hours ago, devils1854 said:

ST LOUIS
18.St Louis-Bubba Chandler||RHP/SS||North Oconee, GA
54.St Louis-Alex Mooney||SS||Orchard Lake St Marys Prep, MI
70.St Louis-Ryan Bliss||SS||Auburn
90.St Louis-Dominic Hamel||RHP||Dallas Baptist

Assuming that Chandler doesn't come with some sort of astronomical price tag, Bubba Chandler seems like a logical pick for the Cardinals at 18.  Under Randy Flores, the Cardinals have had a propensity to take athletic high school players who are young for their year.  On the other hand, I think Alex Mooney isn't probably going to be high on their board.  On the older side as far as HS prospects go and doesn't have the athleticism that Flores seems to put a premium on.  Think Bliss might slot in as a save some money type with a high floor and a bit Kolten Wong-esque as he moves over to 2B.  Hamel seems like a guy that the Cardinals like out of the college ranks that the numbers might not match the scouting reports.

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I'm just speaking in generalities there. Basically saying that I expect them to take two guys I'm not a fan of.

I'm hoping that, if he doesn't rise on draft day like you have him, Ford gets serious consideration but I'm expecting a college pitcher.

I think 5, 9, and 14 are the spots for Ford. I dont think he is going to be considered by the other teams ahead of yall. There's definitely a chance he will be there and would be an A+ pick.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, devils1854 said:

I think 5, 9, and 14 are the spots for Ford. I dont think he is going to be considered by the other teams ahead of yall. There's definitely a chance he will be there and would be an A+ pick.

🙏

31 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

I know you don't draft for need, but is there any reason to believe that San Francisco would take another catcher after taking Joey Bart 2nd in 2018 and Patrick Bailey 13th last year?

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I know you don't draft for need, but is there any reason to believe that San Francisco would take another catcher after taking Joey Bart 2nd in 2018 and Patrick Bailey 13th last year?

He would be multiple years behind both and he isnt just a catcher. Might play center or second.

I love the media walking back Jordan Lawlar now. He is nowhere near the top tier of HS SSs, nor is he close to the top five players in this draft. He wont be going in the top five and it looks like no one in the top five is even seriously considering him.

My favorite part about these past two months was the multiple blurbs I read about Lawlar that basically said the same thing. Paraphrasing, "He isnt the toolsy, flashy prospect that Bobby Witt Jr was but he could be just as good." If he doesnt have the same tools that made Witt the #2 pick, then why are you trying to push him like he is that good.

I might have him too high at #11 on my list.

20 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

I love the media walking back Jordan Lawlar now. He is nowhere near the top tier of HS SSs, nor is he close to the top five players in this draft. He wont be going in the top five and it looks like no one in the top five is even seriously considering him.

My favorite part about these past two months was the multiple blurbs I read about Lawlar that basically said the same thing. Paraphrasing, "He isnt the toolsy, flashy prospect that Bobby Witt Jr was but he could be just as good." If he doesnt have the same tools that made Witt the #2 pick, then why are you trying to push him like he is that good.

I might have him too high at #11 on my list.

Let's not kid ourselves.  He's going somewhere in the top 10 barring any signability concerns.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

So is Mayer a lock for #1?

I could see a scenario where the Pirates go the underslot route with someone like Henry Davis, but it does seem like Mayer is the overwhelming favorite.  

The list of prep draft withdrawals that I could find so far is:

- Cody Schrier

- Thatcher Hurd

- Josh Hartle

- Nick McClain

- Grant Hussey

- Alonzo Treadwell

- Tyree Reed

- Lorenzo Carrier

• Like 2
2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

So is Mayer a lock for #1?

Every mock has him going #1, so unless there's some late movement you'd have to assume that he will be the pick.