2021 MLB Draft Thread(Prospect Top 10s)

devils1854

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Without hijacking this thread, what's the deal with Ed Howard?

It's been a mess with Howard.  His offense was always behind his plus defense at SS, so he would have been an ideal candidate for SS A ball.  But the greedy owners decided to kill off SS A ball, so Howard was thrust into full season A ball after having not played in a competitive game since 2019.  The much more advanced pitching ate his lunch, as you would expect from such a raw bat.  Then he got hurt.  Then he came back and got hurt again.  He's finally healthy and has been hitting better lately, but it's been an ugly debut year for the kid.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 2:35 AM, devils1854 said:

CHICAGO CUBS
21.CHI Cubs-Michael McGreevy||RHP||UC Santa Barbara
56.CHI Cubs-Lonnie White||CF||Malvern Prep, PA
93.CHI Cubs-Reed Trimble||CF||Southern Miss

Great work on the mock, Devils.  I'd be perfectly content if the Cubs took White in the 1st round, so getting him in the 2nd is fantastic.  I don't love McGreevy, but I can at least see the appeal he would have to a FO.  Trimble probably would be needed to save a bit of money after the White pick in the 2nd, so I'm for that as well.  Make this draft happen.

29 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Saw that one.  Doesn't make sense for the Cardinals.  They even talk about how they've been linked to high school players, and history suggests they go with HS players they still go with a college player who is ranked significantly later.  Unless the Cardinals are getting significant savings here (think nearly $2M), I don't see the Cardinals taking Sweeney.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Let's not kid ourselves.  He's going somewhere in the top 10 barring any signability concerns.

Yeah, I expect him between 7-10 but he isnt in the first tier of prospects that the media tried to convince us in the past three months. Hell, he should go to Vanderbilt for two years. He doesnt have any plus tool.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

I'm starting to get a bit nervous with all the Jud Fabian connection to the Cubs.  I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

If Detroit takes Jobe at #3, I think its a 100% lock Fabian goes to them at #32. They will save enough money with Jobe to offer Fabian 4+ mil to keep him from going back to Florida. I dont see any team taking him before comp round and giving him the money he wants.

It's been a mess with Howard.  His offense was always behind his plus defense at SS, so he would have been an ideal candidate for SS A ball.  But the greedy owners decided to kill off SS A ball, so Howard was thrust into full season A ball after having not played in a competitive game since 2019.  The much more advanced pitching ate his lunch, as you would expect from such a raw bat.  Then he got hurt.  Then he came back and got hurt again.  He's finally healthy and has been hitting better lately, but it's been an ugly debut year for the kid.

Saw him twice this past week in Augusta. Hit a few ropes. I think the bat is coming around after injury. Hell of a nice kid too.

• Like 1

Great work on the mock, Devils.  I'd be perfectly content if the Cubs took White in the 1st round, so getting him in the 2nd is fantastic.  I don't love McGreevy, but I can at least see the appeal he would have to a FO.  Trimble probably would be needed to save a bit of money after the White pick in the 2nd, so I'm for that as well.  Make this draft happen.

Ill be ecstatic if anyone takes McGreevy before Atlanta can get the chance. I hate him. He's not Shane Bieber. He's not George Kirby. I'll bang this drum again, but its the same lazy type of comparison that has been thrown for Lawler and Witt Jr.