2021 MLB Draft Thread(Prospect Top 10s)

devils1854

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Saw that one.  Doesn't make sense for the Cardinals.  They even talk about how they've been linked to high school players, and history suggests they go with HS players they still go with a college player who is ranked significantly later.  Unless the Cardinals are getting significant savings here (think nearly $2M), I don't see the Cardinals taking Sweeney.

I still love fangraphs but their content isnt as good without Kiley. A lot of their picks in the two mocks theyve published the past week have been questionable then its more questionable with their thought process.

1 minute ago, devils1854 said:

Ill be ecstatic if anyone takes McGreevy before Atlanta can get the chance. I hate him. He's not Shane Bieber. He's not George Kirby. I'll bang this drum again, but its the same lazy type of comparison that has been thrown for Lawler and Witt Jr.

Agreed.  The Bieber/McGreevy comps are absurd, and based only due to going to the same school.

10 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

Yeah, I expect him between 7-10 but he isnt in the first tier of prospects that the media tried to convince us in the past three months. Hell, he should go to Vanderbilt for two years. He doesnt have any plus tool.

I mean, he doesn't really stand to gain anything from going to college.  Maybe he solidifies himself as a top 3 pick with a few years in college, but he stands to lose more then he gains by going to college.  Just going down the list.

1.) Pittsburgh Pirates - Almost certainly going Mayer here.  Although, I could see a scenario where they try and go underslot with someone like Henry Davis.
2.) Texas Rangers - I think they're going to take Leiter here, but they might be able to save a little bit with Lawler here.  I think Leiter is going to angle to get to Boston, but Texas probably is willing to pay.  Slim chance it's Watson IMO.
3.) Detroit Tigers - They're going prep route.  Either with a HS SS or Jobe here.  Probably could save some money with Jobe, and they have a need for arms but I wouldn't rule out a SS by any means.
4.) Boston Red Sox - I'd imagine they'd take Leiter if he was here.  Might even take Rocker.  Think this is Davis' floor.
5.) Baltimore Orioles - If there's a head scratcher in the top 5, it'll be Baltimore.  I would assume this one is Watson if they don't try and save money at all costs.
6.) Arizona Diamondbacks - Would imagine the DBacks take Lawler here, although Rocker could get them to budge.
7.) Kansas City Royals - They'll take Rocker here if Arizona doesn't.

Can't imagine Lawler gets past the Angels at 9 at the very least.  Think he's in that 4-7 range.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I mean, he doesn't really stand to gain anything from going to college.  Maybe he solidifies himself as a top 3 pick with a few years in college, but he stands to lose more then he gains by going to college.  Just going down the list.

1.) Pittsburgh Pirates - Almost certainly going Mayer here.  Although, I could see a scenario where they try and go underslot with someone like Henry Davis.
2.) Texas Rangers - I think they're going to take Leiter here, but they might be able to save a little bit with Lawler here.  I think Leiter is going to angle to get to Boston, but Texas probably is willing to pay.  Slim chance it's Watson IMO.
3.) Detroit Tigers - They're going prep route.  Either with a HS SS or Jobe here.  Probably could save some money with Jobe, and they have a need for arms but I wouldn't rule out a SS by any means.
4.) Boston Red Sox - I'd imagine they'd take Leiter if he was here.  Might even take Rocker.  Think this is Davis' floor.
5.) Baltimore Orioles - If there's a head scratcher in the top 5, it'll be Baltimore.  I would assume this one is Watson if they don't try and save money at all costs.
6.) Arizona Diamondbacks - Would imagine the DBacks take Lawler here, although Rocker could get them to budge.
7.) Kansas City Royals - They'll take Rocker here if Arizona doesn't.

Can't imagine Lawler gets past the Angels at 9 at the very least.  Think he's in that 4-7 range.

I think we are agreeing about where he is going and his value. Im just taking it a step further saying he should have never been in the 1-1 talk because he isnt on that top tier of players thats Mayer, Leiter, and House for me and Id be ok with someone adding Davis to that group.

2 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

I think we are agreeing about where he is going and his value. Im just taking it a step further saying he should have never been in the 1-1 talk because he isnt on that top tier of players thats Mayer, Leiter, and House for me and Id be ok with someone adding Davis to that group.

Is there anyone (outside of maybe Leiter) who you would say is an obvious 1-1 choice?  It doesn't seem like a particularly great draft at the top.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Is there anyone (outside of maybe Leiter) who you would say is an obvious 1-1 choice?  It doesn't seem like a particularly great draft at the top.

If we are going by number tiers, Id cheat and have Leiter around a 55+.....Mayer and House 55.....and then Davis starts the 50 tier.

There might not be a true slam dunk 1-1 but this isnt a top tier of 8 players that some are talking about. Its a tier of 2-3 and then the rest.

some last minute gut predictions

• Detroit takes Jobe at 3 and Fabian at 32
  • Cincinnati's first 3 picks: Mikulski, Painter, Wood
  • I will hate whomever Atlanta will pick: McGreevy, Schwellenbach, Cusick, Wicks
  • Malakhi Knight will be my highest rated player to head to college, which with Thatcher Hurd and Nick McClain, give UCLA the best recruiting class in the country over Vanderbilt.
  • Frelick will be drafted after both Tyler Black and Trey Sweeney.
  • Kumar Rocker debuts for the LA Angels in 2022.