2021 MLB Draft Thread(Prospect Top 10s)

devils1854

11 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Half the top-10 was going underslot I just don't get it.

Less info has muddled up picks 20 to 60. Teams draft boards are probably more different than ever so many see the ability to have someone fall to their comp or 2nd round picks and they want to capitalize on a crazy draft.

• Like 1

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yeah he tops out as a pretty good RP who's mechanics scream "arm gonna explode". 

And I also don't buy he's gonna make it out of the ML bullpen this year.

Good thing you can't see the future and that first part isn't at all what scouts/analysts have said.

If he doesn't make it out the pen this year that's fine. We really need to trade for an arm at the deadline anyways (low end starter or pen), but it just goes to show your statement was false.

2 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yeah he tops out as a pretty good RP who's mechanics scream "arm gonna explode". 

And I also don't buy he's gonna make it out of the ML bullpen this year.

No.  You leave him as a SP until he proves he can't do it whether it because of the development of change-up or if he starts having shoulder issues.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

Less info has muddled up picks 20 to 60. Teams draft boards are probably more different than ever so many see the ability to have someone fall to their comp or 2nd round picks and they want to capitalize on a crazy draft.

That makes a lot of sense. 

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Good thing you can't see the future and that first part isn't at all what scouts/analysts have said.

If he doesn't make it out the pen this year that's fine. We really need to trade for an arm at the deadline anyways (low end starter or pen), but it just goes to show your statement was false.

Because 3 rando draft dudes said "maybe he cracks the BP this year"? If you took him that high and you're not stretching him and are just gonna use him as is as a RP that's already a mistake, but he's not gonna crack the BP this year, that's not happening. His secondary stuff is too raw.

This whole thing is projecting out the future, that's literally the point of this thread. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No.  You leave him as a SP until he proves he can't do it whether it because of the development of change-up or if he starts having shoulder issues.

I just don't see it sticking long if at all, the change isn't gonna play if guys see it more than 1 AB and that's gambling a lot on it developing enough to be usable.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

What are the odds that Frelick took underslot? Cuz I want a fence swing at 33.

I could see around 3.5 instead of slot of 3.8 but he was looking for top 10, so I doubt it will be much of a discount, if any, but if those extra 300k can get someone at #33 for 2.5, then it could be worth it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

I could see around 3.5 instead of slot of 3.8 but he was looking for top 10, so I doubt it will be much of a discount, if any, but if those extra 300k can get someone at #33 for 2.5, then it could be worth it.

GDI

Should've taken Tyler Black

6 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

100% agree. Board is loaded right now.

Loaded is probably a bit generous.  If this kid was a HS senior, we'd be talking about a sure-fire top 10 pick.  You just have to be confident that the uptick in FB velocity and his improvement of his offspeed stuff is real.  He's kinda the anti-Cardinals pitcher right now in that he doesn't walk very many hitters.  IF the Cardinals had another pick in the Competitive Balance A round, I'd anticipate he would sign for a little bit of savings.  Have to imagine they'll go with a toolsy player for their next pick.