2021 MLB Draft Thread(Prospect Top 10s)

devils1854

Players left in my Top 100 with college commitments.

14.Will Taylor||CF||Dutch Fork, SC(Clemson-WR)
20.Peyton Stovall||2B||Haughton, LA(Arkansas)
27.Alex Mooney||SS||Orchard Lake St Marys Prep, MI(Duke)
38.Malakhi Knight||CF||Marysville-Getchell, WA(UCLA)
41.Josh Hartle||LHP||Reagan, NC(Wake Forest)
42.Chase Burns||RHP||Station Camp, TN(Tennessee)
43.Cody Schrier||SS||JSerra Catholic, CA(UCLA)
49.Brody Brecht||RHP||Ankeny, IA(Iowa-WR)
53.Thomas Dilandri||COF||Palo Verde, NV(TCU)
59.Luca Tresh||C||North Carolina State
61.Thatcher Hurd||RHP||Mira Costa, CA(UCLA)
63.Max Debiec||RHP||O'Dea, WA(Washington)
69.Michael Robertson||CF||Venice Senior, FL(Florida)
70.Michael Braswell||SS||Campbell, GA(South Carolina)
72.Braden Montgomery||RHP/COF||Madison Central, MS(Stanford)
76.Grant Richardson||CF||Indiana
78.Brandon Clarke||LHP||Independence, VA(Alabama)
79.Hagen Smith||LHP||Bullard, TX(Arkansas)
90.Isaiah Thomas||COF||Vanderbilt
92.Jac Caglianone||LHP||Plant, FL(Florida)
94.Tyree Reed||CF||American Canyon, CA(Oregon State)
95.Jonathan Cannon||RHP||Georgia

This is 22 players. If the Braves draft one in the 11th with all the money they've saved, I'll almost consider it our first round pick.

1 hour ago, devils1854 said:

27.Alex Mooney||SS||Orchard Lake St Marys Prep, MI(Duke)

14.Will Taylor||CF||Dutch Fork, SC(Clemson-WR)

38.Malakhi Knight||CF||Marysville-Getchell, WA(UCLA)

41.Josh Hartle||LHP||Reagan, NC(Wake Forest)

49.Brody Brecht||RHP||Ankeny, IA(Iowa-WR)

2 hours ago, devils1854 said:

61.Thatcher Hurd||RHP||Mira Costa, CA(UCLA)

That mane 🦁. Like this guy already. Held down the eventual champs bad enough with some great movement on his pitches that they checked his glove for pine tar lol. Didn’t start pitching till his senior HS season. Excellent command. Noted himself that his stride is probably a weak point and hoping he can bring his FB up from the low 90s to a mid/high offering. Scouts agreed that some adjustments could see an uptick in velocity. Not sure he’ll get to high 90s, but if he can work his way up to the mid 90s consistently with the sink it has on it and be a middle to back end of the rotation guy I’m happy with that. Could end up being a steal.

I'm kind of meh on the Matt McLain pick for the Reds.  Seems like a poor mans Alex Blandino.  Not a lock to stick at SS, not a lot of power, struck out as much as he walked.  Possible he hits better than I expect and is a .280/.350/.425 kind of player who is able to stick at SS, but from what i've read it sounds like 2B or CF are more likely.

I like Jay Allen in the comp round.  Much more projection than McLain, although a much lower floor too, but he at least has the possibility of being a middle of the order hitter with average to above average tools across the board.  Three sport star in high school and one of the better athletes in the class.  A chance he sticks in CF and enough arm to handle RF if he bulks up.  Allen is the only prep player the Reds took in the first 10 rounds, i'm guessing they feel like they have a window coming up with Hunter Greene and Nick Lodolo both likely up for good in 2022.

Mat Nelson likely sticks at catcher and has some big time power, but oh boy that's a lot of swing and miss.  His ceiling seems like a 7 hitting catcher who hits .220/.270 but has 20 bombs a year with a ton of K's.

I'm not usually high on smaller pitchers, but I kind of like the Andrew Abbott pick out of Virginia.  Top 3 in K's this year in NCAA and he's a lefty.  Has legit stuff, and as a 2nd rd pick it's ok if he ends up in the bullpen, although I expect they give him a shot at starting first.

Not as high on Jose Torres in the 3rd.  I like taking what some consider the best defensive SS in the draft, but not sure a guy who K's 3 times as much as he walks will have much success against professional pitching, although he does have a surprising amount of pop for a guy under 170 lbs.

and depending on today, best recruiting class could be Arkansas with basically getting a 5* with Stovall going to school.

79.Hagen Smith||LHP||Bullard, TX(Arkansas)
153.Braylon Bishop||CF||Arkansas, TX(Arkansas)
182.Drake Varnado||SS||IMG Academy, FL(Arkansas)
200.Brady Tygart||RHP||Lewisberg, MS(Arkansas)

Arkansas, UCLA, and Florida look to be the top three

Edited by devils1854

@devils1854 How likely is Roc Riggio to sign?

EDIT - NVM, lots of people confident we'll get him signed due to how much money we may have saved on Russell Smith in the 2nd along with the rest of the collegiate players we took. Never know, obviously, but sounds like we'll get it done.

Edited by beekay414