Best 2nd Year WR

HTTRDynasty

Which WR is the best?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Which WR is the best?

28 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

So you’re picking one play to critique a player? I’m sure we can find numerous plays of even the best players that look terrible....

I'm just sharing what came across my feed this afternoon.  Do with it what you will.

Diontae Johnson is the only right answer.   Everyone else sucks.

Really though, DJ was our best WR by the end of the year and Im super excited about him IF Ben is healthy.  

The only other WRs I watched much last year were Marquise and AJ Brown.....both of which have star potential.

32 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This seems like a function of the Titans offense moreso than a knock on Brown. You run the play that's called, not whatever you feel like.

This is paralysis by analysis, tbh. Throwing numbers in Excel and seeing what pops out, with no context. Tell me the breakdown of play calls (PA, standard drop back, etc) to act as a control, IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This seems like a function of the Titans offense moreso than a knock on Brown. You run the play that's called, not whatever you feel like.

This is paralysis by analysis, tbh. Throwing numbers in Excel and seeing what pops out, with no context. Tell me the breakdown of play calls (PA, standard drop back, etc) to act as a control, IMO.

yeah i'll tell you right now.....that "in-breaking PA" aka yankee concept is a cornerstone of our offense, we ain't planning on stopping until someone proves they can stop it consistently lol. one thing arthur smith did a really nice job of was building counters off of that look to keep defenses on their toes so they couldn't commit to it all the time (because truthfully we did run the absolute hell out of it lol)

Edited by -Hope-
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The Titans were 9th in play-action passing once Tannehill took over.  We'll have to wait until Football Outsiders releases their annual team play-action tables to see it at the team level.

However, the point is that he hasn't shown much variety in his game.  The Brown vs Bouye clip is an example.  Most of his yards come from in-breaking routes off play-action, which obviously leads to a lot of YAC as well.  We'll see how defenses adjust this season.

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The Titans were 9th in play-action passing once Tannehill took over.  We'll have to wait until Football Outsiders releases their annual team play-action tables to see it at the team level.

That tells us part of the story. Was it PA from an "under center" position? Or from shotgun, much like how the spread read option works? 

I'll be interested in seeing the tables, but 9th in PA tells me he's running what's asked of him. I'm not knocking a guy because he's following the play.

However, the point is that he hasn't shown much variety in his game.  

Again - how is he supposed to when he's running what's called in the huddle? 

The Brown vs Bouye clip is an example.  Most of his yards come from in-breaking routes off play-action, which obviously leads to a lot of YAC as well.  We'll see how defenses adjust this season

If you're getting it at 20 yards a clip, why go away from it? 

I get what you are saying, I just don't think this set of data points draw a picture worthy of discussion. Too much of the data is in being interpreted in a vacuum, and Brown had no real control over much of that.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I get what you are saying, I just don't think this set of data points draw a picture worthy of discussion.

Maybe not at this point, but I think it's worth monitoring going forward.  Defensive coordinators usually adjust pretty quickly to playmakers who have shown they only do one thing extremely well.

39 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Maybe not at this point, but I think it's worth monitoring going forward.  Defensive coordinators usually adjust pretty quickly to playmakers who have shown they only do one thing extremely well.

I get that, but I also think guys like Brown will create wrinkles to their game to adjust. This isn't a case of a Kelvin Benjamin or Dorial Green-Beckham, guys with physical talent and no work ethic - Brown's reputation at Ole Miss was that he worked as hard as anyone else on the team. If someone figures something out, he'll work on it and counter with another skill. His MO in college was as a slot guy (despite his size) so he's got some wiggle to his routes and can create separation out of multiple spots - I'm thinking he'll get a chance to display that once the offense picks that up (and once a bonafide secondary target develops, because Corey Davis is really inconsistent).

We'll ultimately see, but I am worried about him as a division rival.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I get that, but I also think guys like Brown will create wrinkles to their game to adjust. This isn't a case of a Kelvin Benjamin or Dorial Green-Beckham, guys with physical talent and no work ethic - Brown's reputation at Ole Miss was that he worked as hard as anyone else on the team. If someone figures something out, he'll work on it and counter with another skill. His MO in college was as a slot guy (despite his size) so he's got some wiggle to his routes and can create separation out of multiple spots - I'm thinking he'll get a chance to display that once the offense picks that up (and once a bonafide secondary target develops, because Corey Davis is really inconsistent).

We'll ultimately see, but I am worried about him as a division rival.

Yeah, hard to argue that.  We'll just have to see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, hard to argue that.  We'll just have to see.

I'll say that this is perhaps the most impressive WR class I've seen on the field - at this point, the top tier guys are only separated by preference. 

I've always preferred the bigger, physical guys (Andre Johnson, DeAndre Hopkins, etc) and Brown fits that mold to a T, so I'll gravitate to him. Doesn't take anything away from the rest of the pack.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 2:22 PM, ET80 said:

I'll say that this is perhaps the most impressive WR class I've seen on the field - at this point, the top tier guys are only separated by preference. 

I've always preferred the bigger, physical guys (Andre Johnson, DeAndre Hopkins, etc) and Brown fits that mold to a T, so I'll gravitate to him. Doesn't take anything away from the rest of the pack.

My question at this point is will this WR class live up to be equal to or better than the 2014 WR class.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

My question at this point is will this WR class live up to be equal to or better than the 2014 WR class.

I'm wondering if our 2020 class will exceed this 2019 class - on namesake, the 2020 class is incredible.

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm wondering if our 2020 class will exceed this 2019 class - on namesake, the 2020 class is incredible.

The even crazier thing is the 2021 WR class could be just as good. Of course, it’s a lot of unknowns with college football and the draft so we’ll see. However, we could be in for back to back to back special WR classes.

• Like 1