Misc minor news, stats, etc

JAF-N72EX

5 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Or just hates being part of a crap offense. 

At the beginning of the year they tried to make him a WR essentially. That was a terrible decision that I understand the attempt, but the experiment was cling to for way too long. 

1. Long is a guy who declined fast, he is allowed to be a little bitter and I love him but he was dddooonnneee haha. If anything the Bears are almost loyal to a fault. Urlacher kind of was bitter too and never played for anyone else.

2. Yeah, whatever role they had....it wasnt the right one.....pretty plain and simple

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The_Romen said:

On Twitter he said the decision to be cut or "retire" was made at halftime for him. I'd screenshot them but that's a lot of work lol

I found this bit of Long's tweets weird yesterday. In that article on The Athletic by Dan Pompei about a month ago, Long said he knew at half time of the London game that he was done, he kind of made it sound like it was his decision then but now he's saying the decision has been made for him. Strange. Either way, that was the turning point.

Can't really blame him for not wanting to come back under this coaching staff, he clearly loves the Bears but this was the staff under which his Bears career ended so understandable he wouldn't want to work with them.

Enjoyed him being so open about it to be honest, it was interesting stuff.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

I found this bit of Long's tweets weird yesterday. In that article on The Athletic by Dan Pompei about a month ago, Long said he knew at half time of the London game that he was done, he kind of made it sound like it was his decision then but now he's saying the decision has been made for him. Strange. Either way, that was the turning point.

Can't really blame him for not wanting to come back under this coaching staff, he clearly loves the Bears but this was the staff under which his Bears career ended so understandable he wouldn't want to work with them.

Enjoyed him being so open about it to be honest, it was interesting stuff.

I really didnt think much of any of these comments.....Long was legit getting manhandled out there.....In real life he is still a huge strong guy and only like 30 haha...Im sure he still thinks hes cool....

He just isnt an NFL player player anymore......he is a 6'6 300lbs strong young man.....just not and NFL player.....thats just the business.

On 6/15/2020 at 4:01 PM, The_Romen said:

Kyle Long saying on Twitter that if he ever does come back to play, it'd have to be for a different front office. Understandable, he's not throwing shade as much as the media wants to say he is.

Also disappointing to hear that Tarik wasn't taking his conditioning seriously. He needs to get his head on or else he won't be making big money on his next contract.

I like the way Long has handled his situation.  He recognizes that he not what he used to be and understands that the NFL is a business and is acting as such.  I think he may attempt a comeback in 2021.

Tarik is another story though. Someone needs take his playstation or xbox away from him for entire off season so he can concentrate on his job. Either that or quit football and become a youtube gamer.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 2:44 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

I don't play fantasy football but I always get interested in Matt Harmon's takes on football so after I read this I finally gave in and paid for a sub just to see all of the results. I typically don't like posting stats until I actually go back and fact them but I don't have time right now since I'm leaving for a week.

I obviously can't post everything in it's entirety as per the rules, but here are a couple of notable things worth mentioning.

1) Arob faced man covered on 193 routes (9th most in the league).

2) Anthony Miller is ranked 20th in success rate (73.30%) vs Man coverage on 135 attempts. 

Just to expand more on this, now that I have time.

This is by team.

Target Share Breakdown

WR target percentage 

Team WR Tgt % WR Cmp % RB Tgt % RB Cmp % TE Tgt % TE Cmp %
default_team_1.png
Arizona Cardinals
ARI
70% 67% 20% 22% 10% 11%
default_team_1.png
New York Jets
NYJ
67% 60% 22% 27% 12% 14%
default_team_1.png
Buffalo Bills
BUF
66% 64% 17% 20% 17% 15%
default_team_1.png
Cincinnati Bengals
CIN
66% 60% 15% 18% 19% 22%
default_team_1.png
Los Angeles Rams
LAR
64% 63% 10% 9% 26% 28%
default_team_1.png
Atlanta Falcons
ATL
64% 61% 17% 19% 19% 20%
default_team_1.png
Cleveland Browns
CLE
64% 58% 22% 29% 13% 13%
default_team_1.png
Houston Texans
HOU
64% 64% 15% 16% 21% 20%
default_team_1.png
Jacksonville Jaguars
JAX
63% 60% 23% 26% 14% 15%
default_team_1.png
New England Patriots
NE
63% 58% 28% 32% 9% 10%
default_team_1.png
Seattle Seahawks
SEA
62% 57% 17% 20% 21% 23%
default_team_1.png
Dallas Cowboys
DAL
62% 58% 16% 18% 22% 24%
default_team_1.png
Washington Redskins
WAS
62% 60% 22% 25% 16% 15%
default_team_1.png
Chicago Bears
CHI
62% 58% 26% 30% 12% 12%

62% of the targets went to WR's. Tied 11th in the league.

Meanwhile, the two offenses that are supposed to closely resemble Nagy's offense (KC and Philly) were only at 52 and 42, ranking 25th and 32nd in the league, respectively. 

Likewise for RB targets (thank you Nagy for targeting Cohen so much). 26% of the passing targets went to RB's whereas KC was only 24% and Philly was only 19%.

Likewise for TE targets (thank you Burton for being injured --can't put this on Nagy though). Philly ranked 2nd in TE targets with 39% and KC ranked 6th TE targets with 28%. The Bears ranked T-30th in TE targets with a mere 12%.  

14 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Interesting, but not sure how you can not cover that data in asterisks given the Bear's TE situation of having 18 big-looking guys with no idea how to play the position filling out the room. 

While that may be something to consider it still wouldn't have stopped Nagy from using Cohen much more than he should have while also misusing him. Nagy did a great job of putting Cohen in favorable matchups in 2018 but completely got away from that in 2019.

On 6/15/2020 at 10:14 PM, MonserinNC said:

1. Long is a guy who declined fast, he is allowed to be a little bitter and I love him but he was dddooonnneee haha. If anything the Bears are almost loyal to a fault. Urlacher kind of was bitter too and never played for anyone else.

2. Yeah, whatever role they had....it wasnt the right one.....pretty plain and simple

Warriors like Urlacher and Long never go down easy.  It's really hard for them to accept that it's time to lay down their sword and it happens all over the NFL.  This isn't new and I wouldn't take it too seriously.  Even Kyle has expressed his frustration with having reached a point where his body just could not cooperate with his brain and he's still somewhat frustrated that he's no longer a part of this path to a championship.  Many of us would feel the same.

As for Cohen, all Nagy and Lazor need to do is find ways to either spring him into the secondary where he can use his ability to make people miss and scheme ways to get him the ball in space with some room to run.  What he's not ever gonna be is a true #2 RB.  Since we now have at least three and maybe four others who could handle that role it's time to return to making a big play weapon out of Tarik Cohen again.  Unless we can do that we can't afford to keep him around on a second contact.  JMHO

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

While that may be something to consider it still wouldn't have stopped Nagy from using Cohen much more than he should have while also misusing him. Nagy did a great job of putting Cohen in favorable matchups in 2018 but completely got away from that in 2019.

You're not wrong, but I also feel like the missing pieces at TE were partly responsible for that.  The Eagles playoff game looked a lot like 2019 in terms of Tarik being limited by the black hole at TE

I think if you have a healthy Burton you win that game

• Like 3

• 1 month later...