NFL teams 'done' negotiating with Jadeveon Clowney

Drained

Sounds like he's heading to Cleveland then. They offered him the best contract he's going to get.

I think he's going to be an underrated signing. He's become underrated on the boards due to overcorrectiveness based on his lofty draft status. He's not nearly the player we thought he was going to be, but he's a very good starting DE in the NFL. One of the best run stopping DE's in the game and has shown the ability to generate pressure at an average rate. He's not some epic failure...just mildly disappointing.

• Like 3

Can't remember anyone having such an inflated perception of their market value. Whatever the case, his agent deserves blame for not tempering his expectations because at this point it will likely cost him.

Reuniting with Vrabel on a one year deal makes all the sense in the world.. Go revitalize your value under the guy who's proven to get the most out of you, while also playing for a contender. 

• Like 1

Either take a 1 year “prove it” again deal with Tennessee / Seattle or take a fat contract with Cleveland.

Super bowl caliber teams are not usually going to have a lot of cap space. He has to realize that.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Sounds like he's heading to Cleveland then. They offered him the best contract he's going to get.

I think he's going to be an underrated signing. He's become underrated on the boards due to overcorrectiveness based on his lofty draft status. He's not nearly the player we thought he was going to be, but he's a very good starting DE in the NFL. One of the best run stopping DE's in the game and has shown the ability to generate pressure at an average rate. He's not some epic failure...just mildly disappointing.

Going to play in Cleveland with Myles Garrett and Sheldon Richardson will be big for him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, D82 said:

I mean...he isn't worth what he's wanting, so kinda nice to see teams holding their ground.

Hes coming off a 3 sack season in 13 games and never once has had double digits in his career. He is a 12-15 million per year player who wants to be paid like he is a 15+ sack guy

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Going to play in Cleveland with Myles Garrett and Sheldon Richardson will be big for him.

I mean... he spent the first part of his career with JJ Watt, DJ Reader and Whitney Mercilius. 

If you can't produce with that lineup, what can you really do?

• Like 18

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I mean... he spent the first part of his career with JJ Watt, DJ Reader and Whitney Mercilius. 

Bingo.  

If Mike Mamula is a top 10 pick and considered a bust with a five year career of 31.5 sacks and over 200 tackles, what do we consider Clowney as a former #1 overall pick with almost similar career stats (236 tackles, 32 sacks) over six seasons?  

He's a good player.  But nowhere close to great, and he's expecting to get top market dollar, which was never going to happen to begin with.  It is especially not happening with concerns around Covid-19 and the salary cap moving forward in future years. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Depending on how much Sheldon has left in the tank, Clowney would probably still be just the third best player on that D-line.  You don't pay your third best lineman prime money.  As others have said already, he is good, but he thinks he is great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

And when you are the first overall pick in the draft, everybody expects you to be the best of the group.  He underachieved with stars around him.