NFL teams 'done' negotiating with Jadeveon Clowney

Drained

12 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

9694569.jpg

20171217pdSteelers16-3-1552473511.jpg

BB15pe8m.img?h=0&w=720&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f&

I was thinking purely in the context of free agency. I.e - Gordon ultimately signed for what the market dictated (Same with Bell), as opposed to Clowney who appears to remain in denial for whatever reason. Dak... We shall see. 

But to your point: Gordon was always nuts for thinking he could leverage the Chargers into a massive deal.. So, yes, completely overvalued himself. Bell, at the time, was playing at a historic level & given his production I felt he had some ground to stand on. If the rumors of Dak wanting $40M + are true, well, good luck Cowboys fans.  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Good for teams not overpaying. I wouldn't pay more than $7 or so per year to be rotational depth. He can't stay healthy and he doesn't produce outside of one or two splash plays.

Rotational depth? Ok, the Clowney hate is officially ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Bingo.  

If Mike Mamula is a top 10 pick and considered a bust with a five year career of 31.5 sacks and over 200 tackles, what do we consider Clowney as a former #1 overall pick with almost similar career stats (236 tackles, 32 sacks) over six seasons?  

He's a good player.  But nowhere close to great, and he's expecting to get top market dollar, which was never going to happen to begin with.  It is especially not happening with concerns around Covid-19 and the salary cap moving forward in future years. 

mamula gets a bad wrap because the picks the eagles traded to get him ended up being warren sapp and derrick brooks. 

53 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

mamula gets a bad wrap because the picks the eagles traded to get him ended up being warren sapp and derrick brooks. 

True, but five years and over 30 sacks is a productive player.  Certainly not what you envision from a top 10 pick, but there have been far worse top 10 picks.  So if Mamula is a bust, then Clowney is at least that, if not more, right?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJC33 said:

If the rumors of Dak wanting $40M + are true, well, good luck Cowboys fans.  

If Dak consistently puts up numbers like he did last year, he’s worth that.

QB is the most important position in all of sports. A young one too? He’s getting paid.

11 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Depending on how much Sheldon has left in the tank, Clowney would probably still be just the third best player on that D-line.  You don't pay your third best lineman prime money.  As others have said already, he is good, but he thinks he is great.

Sheldon wasn’t special last year. Clowney would be 2nd best. 

Clowney thinks he's still that #1 overall kid from 2014. He's not. He's still a very good DE against the run and an adequate but not great pass rusher, and he couldn't produce opposite one of the best all around DE in the game in Watt, not to mention some other really solid pieces on that Texans DL.

He would be smart to take the guaranteed money/years Cleveland offered him. Betting on himself to get a big contract with his injury and production history at this point 6-7 years into his NFL career isn't a good decision. Cleveland may very well be somewhat overpaying him, but their DE situation opposite Myles in Vernon last year was underwhelming, and they really need other EDGE help even if Vernon is healthy. Vernon is gone in 2021 anyway, and a Clowney/Myles tandem on the outside with Vernon as a rotation piece or these guys moving inside/outside on obvious passing situations is a very solid group.

Otherwise, accept a 1 year "prove it" deal on an obvious Super Bowl contender.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Otherwise, accept a 1 year "prove it" deal on an obvious Super Bowl contender.

I think that's the endgame here - and that's going to be Tennessee.

Mike Vrabel and Jadevion Clowney both joined the Texans at the same time, and Vrabel was brought in as Clowney's position coach/personal handler early on. Vrabel would work with Clowney on his hand work, his footwork, would script his pass rushing moves and would break down film with him 1v1 - and once Clowney got going, that extra time started to show up on the stat sheet. 

That personal connection, paired with a team that has SB aspirations and a really good defense could bode well for all parties involved - Clowney, Vrabel and Tennessee. A one year prove it deal in Tennessee has the potential to turn into a bigger, multi year deal next off-season, simply because Clowney with Vrabel and that defense will get the best out of him and could yield another deep playoff run.

• Like 2

Just now, ET80 said:

Mike Vrabel and Jadevion Clowney both joined the Texans at the same time, and Vrabel was brought in as Clowney's position coach/personal handler early on. Vrabel would work with Clowney on his hand work, his footwork, would script his pass rushing moves and would break down film with him 1v1 - and once Clowney got going, that extra time started to show up on the stat sheet. 

That personal connection, paired with a team that has SB aspirations and a really good defense could bode well for all parties involved - Clowney, Vrabel and Tennessee. A one year prove it deal in Tennessee has the potential to turn into a bigger, multi year deal next off-season, simply because Clowney with Vrabel and that defense will get the best out of him and could yield another deep playoff run.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see this happen either for all of those reasons. I always admire athletes who "bet on themselves", but I personally would rather take the guaranteed cash...but then again, I'm not a world class athlete either. I personally just think that it would take a MAJOR stat breaker of a season for Clowney to get more money next year than what a team like Cleveland is willing to offer him THIS year...and likely he gets less if he gets dinged up or underwhelms again. I personally believe that the odds are more likely for him to get less next year and the subsequent years than for him to have a great 2020 (maybe anyone to have a great 2020 the way things are going so far this year), stay healthy, and get paid next year.

JMHO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Really the only logical choice but they certainly won’t outbid anyone for him.

31 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Really the only logical choice but they certainly won’t outbid anyone for him.

With Clowney already turning down multi year offers for "top 10 at position" money, I don't think it's a bidding war for money - it's situation. 

If it was money, Clowney accepts the situation last off-season and goes to Miami as a part of the Larmey Tunsil deal. He was due to get DeMarcus Lawrence-type money in Miami, but he flat out told the Texans no...

Money is important, sure - but I think Clowney is looking for fit, looking for a laid back environment where he has - for a lack of a better term - friends. It's why he picked Seattle in the end, Clowney was very close to former Texans OT Duane Brown.

Vrabel is probably in the drivers' seat because of this.

The 49ers should just hop in there, throw out a one year, 9 million dollar offer, and see what happens. 

Of course, Clowney may not want to sign with a team that would offer such a huge variance in future pay after the season is over.