NFL teams 'done' negotiating with Jadeveon Clowney

Drained

3 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Not entirely sure what your actual takeaway is. Are you implying this is more telling for Clowney's market or just the market as a whole? I don't think the league is viewing Clowney as some replacement piece, but it's hard to justify handing out a big contract with the aforementioned financial uncertainties + Clowney's health questions. 

My take is clear to those with the knowledge.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I don't think the league is viewing Clowney as some replacement piece, but it's hard to justify handing out a big contract with the aforementioned financial uncertainties + Clowney's health questions. 

Each team is in a different spot financially, but some owners like to make a FA splash to help sell tickets.
Given the trend toward no fans at games, I'm not sure that's the case this year. So that's another reason for teams to hold off on major spending

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Each team is in a different spot financially, but some owners like to make a FA splash to help sell tickets.
Given the trend toward no fans at games, I'm not sure that's the case this year. So that's another reason for teams to hold off on major spending

I'm not sure a player like Clowney -- who isn't at a premium position -- would otherwise have much impact on ticket sales. 

A variable to consider though. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I'm not sure a player like Clowney -- who isn't at a premium position -- would otherwise have much impact on ticket sales. 

A variable to consider though. 

There's still enough shine to his name to get a few eyebrows raised at the thought of signing him - and despite his stat line, he's still a quality player with a pedigree of being a #1 pick as well as a few All Pro nods. Lastly, his stat line might be non existent... but he's got some highlight reel plays on his reel, some plays that make your eyes pop and say "wow". They may be few and far between, but he'll make a few plays that very few front seven players can make...

Any other year, where there was some semblance of normalcy, Clowney is signed by now...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I might be missing some sarcasm or perhaps I was supposed to read beyond page 5 of that thread, but I learned nothing from that. 

It’s a running gag that spawned from that thread. Not sarcasm exactly, just an inside joke that’s publicly known.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

There's still enough shine to his name to get a few eyebrows raised at the thought of signing him - and despite his stat line, he's still a quality player with a pedigree of being a #1 pick as well as a few All Pro nods. Lastly, his stat line might be non existent... but he's got some highlight reel plays on his reel, some plays that make your eyes pop and say "wow". They may be few and far between, but he'll make a few plays that very few front seven players can make...

Any other year, where there was some semblance of normalcy, Clowney is signed by now...

The pedigree of being the #1 pick doesn't matter if you don't necessarily deserve it. He's a good player. He's not elite like he thinks. I actually think Crennel helped him a LOT, Clowney is someone that relies on natural physical prowess and talent, the Texans realize Clowney's main skill is the pressure he puts on the O-Line and he works well in tandem with Watt in that way, that is how he had nearly double digits for the first time in his career since 2012 at South Carolina. He won't get that anywhere but the Browns and I'm sure he realizes now he has to drop himself down to a poor team or sign for pennies.