2021 Draft Prospects

Tetsujin

2 hours ago, Jdolphins18 said:

I would definitely be surprised, we just traded for McKinney and we still have Baker so the ILB are set and in a 3-4 the OLBers are the edge so that’s pretty much the same thing, I do agree we need two edge rushers

Solid edge rusher depth in this class but none are top 10 worthy picks IMO.  I like Perkins in the second round.  Solid pass rusher with great first step and motor, not the best closing speed but shows some bend and consistently produces the pressures.  Second and Third round is the value spot for edge rushers this draft IMO.  I expect us to use a pick on an edge in either round 2 or 3 given our needs at OLine and RB.

8 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

Baker should be a nickel/dime LB only. We need an all-around OLB to replace Van Noy. All but 2 of our LBs are JAGs at best. I think it’s our weakest unit, talent-wise.

I agree.  Baker hasn't played well for us since Flores took over.  He just isn't capable of doing what Flores Defense needs from him and we obviously need to move on from him.  Hopefully McKinney works out for us and AVG build off of his play last season.  Got my fingers crossed Biegel can pick up where he left off before his injury.

16 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if our 3 picks after #6 were all on defense. EDGE, OLB, ILB.

I will be very disappointed if that ends up being the case.  We have to focus on helping Tua at the top of this draft IMO.  To me that means OL, WR, RB.

1 hour ago, Swampbilly said:

Solid edge rusher depth in this class but none are top 10 worthy picks IMO.  I like Perkins in the second round.  Solid pass rusher with great first step and motor, not the best closing speed but shows some bend and consistently produces the pressures.  Second and Third round is the value spot for edge rushers this draft IMO.  I expect us to use a pick on an edge in either round 2 or 3 given our needs at OLine and RB.

Well ya I’m not saying take an edge with the 6th pick but if we took an edge with our first 2nd pick and our 3rd round pick I would be happy. My ideal draft would be WR at 6, Harris at 18, edge at 36, OT or C at 50 and then Edge or Talanoa Hufanga with our 3rd round pick. Then a big NT like Tedarrel Slaton later in the draft or even Twyman if he’s there in the 5th to play 3-4 end and DT on passing downs. Edge players I like are Perkins, Phillips, Rousseau, Patrick Jones, Basham, Ellerson Smith, and Joe Tryon, in no particular order. Like I said in other posts, if we got a base end like Rousseau or Basham and a guy who can stand up and play 4-3 end like Phillips, Perkins, or Tryon, that would be sick.

2 minutes ago, Jdolphins18 said:

Then a big NT like Tedarrel Slaton later in the draft or even Twyman if he’s there in the 5th to play 3-4 end and DT on passing downs.

I'm not expecting to see us draft a NT at all this draft with the great play we had from rookie Raekwon Davis last season and the return of John Jenkins.  I would love to see Tyler Shelvin as a Dolphin, I'm just predicting we go a different route due to more pressing needs.

If we do take a LB somewhere in the second or third, I hope it Jabril Cox. He is very very very good I’m coverage but, he also is really good at diagnosing run plays and attacking in the backfield, dare I say he reminds me of Lavontae David. He has very good size too.

20 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

I will be very disappointed if that ends up being the case.  We have to focus on helping Tua at the top of this draft IMO.  To me that means OL, WR, RB.

So much will depend on what happens at 6, If Miami drafts Sewell at 6 then I think they have to take the best WR at 18 likely Rashod Bateman in my opinion. If Miami gets their weapon at 6 (whoever that is) I can see them addressing defense at 18 and with both picks in the second round as well. I really dig Ronnie Perkins (edge) out of Oklahoma. 

Our O-line had 2 rookies at RT and LT and I expect a better performance this year but I still want them to draft OL, hopefully a center. My philosophy is, when in doubt, draft in the trenches. 

Plenty of good value RBs likely available later in rounds 4+. Stevenson, Hubbard, Jefferson maybe Sermon etc. I'm not going to be disappointed if they neglect to address RB early. Plus a good O-line can make most any RB look like a stud.  

That said, I still think the pick at 6 will be Pitts or Chase.

At least we are talking about using picks on drafting rather than the "Miami Dolphins should be willing to trade all their picks, first born children and grant prima nocta in exchange for Watson" topics that dominated discussion back in March. 

20 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

I'm not expecting to see us draft a NT at all this draft with the great play we had from rookie Raekwon Davis last season and the return of John Jenkins.  I would love to see Tyler Shelvin as a Dolphin, I'm just predicting we go a different route due to more pressing needs.

I could see a 5th round IDL, but that's as early as it would get.  

16 hours ago, Jdolphins18 said:

If we do take a LB somewhere in the second or third, I hope it Jabril Cox. He is very very very good I’m coverage but, he also is really good at diagnosing run plays and attacking in the backfield, dare I say he reminds me of Lavontae David. He has very good size too.

Cox or Jamin Davis (if he's still there) are guys I would really like to see brought in.  I want no part of Browning.  

11 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

So much will depend on what happens at 6, If Miami drafts Sewell at 6 then I think they have to take the best WR at 18 likely Rashod Bateman in my opinion. If Miami gets their weapon at 6 (whoever that is) I can see them addressing defense at 18 and with both picks in the second round as well. I really dig Ronnie Perkins (edge) out of Oklahoma. 

Our O-line had 2 rookies at RT and LT and I expect a better performance this year but I still want them to draft OL, hopefully a center. My philosophy is, when in doubt, draft in the trenches. 

Plenty of good value RBs likely available later in rounds 4+. Stevenson, Hubbard, Jefferson maybe Sermon etc. I'm not going to be disappointed if they neglect to address RB early. Plus a good O-line can make most any RB look like a stud.  

That said, I still think the pick at 6 will be Pitts or Chase.

At least we are talking about using picks on drafting rather than the "Miami Dolphins should be willing to trade all their picks, first born children and grant prima nocta in exchange for Watson" topics that dominated discussion back in March. 

I give this about a 5% chance of happening.  Fins can't afford to ignore the OL with the 1st 4 picks; particularly the C position.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I give this about a 5% chance of happening.  Fins can't afford to ignore the OL with the 1st 4 picks; particularly the C position.  

I don't see OL being any of the Top 4 picks:

Receiver* (1), Edge (2), RB (3) and LB (4) are team needs. That's we count to 4 on draft day heh. A-ok to get a Center later on tho. 

* Note: Receiver is allowed to be a TE or WR, if the TE is a Florida Gator.

We'll find out in 2 more weeks, can't wait. 

2 hours ago, FinSting said:

I don't see OL being any of the Top 4 picks:

Receiver* (1), Edge (2), RB (3) and LB (4) are team needs. That's we count to 4 on draft day heh. A-ok to get a Center later on tho. 

* Note: Receiver is allowed to be a TE or WR, if the TE is a Florida Gator.

We'll find out in 2 more weeks, can't wait. 

It's a copout answer, but it will depend entirely on how the board falls.  If all 3 RBs worth a top 50 pick are taken before pick 36, they won't reach on a different RB in the 2nd round.  This Edge class is weak overall and I absolutely could see them go for one of the boom/bust Edge players in the 3rd round.  I agree that LB is still a sizeable need, but it remains to be seen if the FO agrees; after adding McKinney and Riley, and resigning Roberts.

5 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

It's a copout answer, but it will depend entirely on how the board falls.  If all 3 RBs worth a top 50 pick are taken before pick 36, they won't reach on a different RB in the 2nd round.  This Edge class is weak overall and I absolutely could see them go for one of the boom/bust Edge players in the 3rd round.  I agree that LB is still a sizeable need, but it remains to be seen if the FO agrees; after adding McKinney and Riley, and resigning Roberts.

McKinney has a $7mil + cap hit so he isn't going anywhere and is nearly a lock to start inside.  That leaves Eguaveon and Baker to battle for the other ILB spot.  I would love for us to draft an ILB in round 2 but ILB isn't nearly as essential as finding a starting caliber Center and an OG.  If Hunt plays the RT spot then we are in need of an LG and an RG......and there is no way we go to camp with Skura as the projected starter at C.

Oline is our #1 need IMO.  Without another influx of talent on the OLine we will not be able to get an accurate evaluation on Tua prior to the 2023 draft ( which is when we will be looking to draft another franchise QB if Tua fails over the next 2 seasons ).

52 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

McKinney has a $7mil + cap hit so he isn't going anywhere and is nearly a lock to start inside.  That leaves Eguaveon and Baker to battle for the other ILB spot.  I would love for us to draft an ILB in round 2 but ILB isn't nearly as essential as finding a starting caliber Center and an OG.  If Hunt plays the RT spot then we are in need of an LG and an RG......and there is no way we go to camp with Skura as the projected starter at C.

Oline is our #1 need IMO.  Without another influx of talent on the OLine we will not be able to get an accurate evaluation on Tua prior to the 2023 draft ( which is when we will be looking to draft another franchise QB if Tua fails over the next 2 seasons ).

What happened to Flowers and Kindley?

Edited by Tetsujin

12 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

I think the extent of our o-line picks will be a center in round 2.  Although, if we snag one of the top LTs at #6 or #18 I won't complain.

• Like 1