2021 Draft Prospects

Tetsujin

2 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

Does anyone think we have room for the traditional lead FB on our roster, like Ben Mason? Getting towards the end of the draft, it’ll be harder to find guys who’ll make the team.

I don't think so right now.  We have to find starters at too many other more important positions.  Wilkins can still be the goalline FB for now.  Once other positions  are (hopefully) filled this season, they can maybe address it next year.  

16 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I don't think so right now.  We have to find starters at too many other more important positions.  Wilkins can still be the goalline FB for now.  Once other positions  are (hopefully) filled this season, they can maybe address it next year.  

He’d be a 6th round pick and may get more PT than other 6th rounders. But we may have gotten Cethan Carter to fill that role. I’m not sure what the plan is there.

1 minute ago, Tetsujin said:

He’d be a 6th round pick and may get more PT than other 6th rounders. But we may have gotten Cethan Carter to fill that role. I’m not sure what the plan is there.

That's true, assuming the FB would be a key ST guy as well.  Fins just don't have the roster space to carry a FB-only type right now.  

23 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

That's true, assuming the FB would be a key ST guy as well.  Fins just don't have the roster space to carry a FB-only type right now.  

We began last season with 6 RBs on our 53-man roster, including FB Chandler Cox.

Devonta Smith weighed 166 pounds at Indianapolis medical check. He wasn't a WR I had hoped to draft but no way do I want to take the chance on him at 6. Give me Pitts or Chase at 6 otherwise Sewell  (6) and Bateman at 18. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/21/report-devonta-smith-measured-6-feet-166-pounds-at-indianapolis-medical-check/

1 hour ago, Phinsesq said:

Devonta Smith weighed 166 pounds at Indianapolis medical check. He wasn't a WR I had hoped to draft but no way do I want to take the chance on him at 6. Give me Pitts or Chase at 6 otherwise Sewell  (6) and Bateman at 18. 

Saw that and cringed. Did you see that one play in the national championship game where an OSU defender did like a one-arm bodyslam on lightweight Smith? Like a man throwing a toy doll, it was not a good look. 

Though people compare Smith to Marvin Harrison who was also slender. Harrison just had a knack for getting open while not taking hits after, and that's a skill unto itself. Especially when you make 143 receptions in one season...

1 hour ago, FinSting said:

Saw that and cringed. Did you see that one play in the national championship game where an OSU defender did like a one-arm bodyslam on lightweight Smith? Like a man throwing a toy doll, it was not a good look. 

Though people compare Smith to Marvin Harrison who was also slender. Harrison just had a knack for getting open while not taking hits after, and that's a skill unto itself. Especially when you make 143 receptions in one season...

True and it is easy to say he reminds of me “x” who was a phenomenal wide receiver who was slender. But Harrison I think played around 185. I’m with you, I think he will have problems with nfl caliber cbs who can lock him up at the line. I’d much rather have Waddle between the two. 

Smith has faced the best CBs that the big boy SEC has to offer.  He has abused each and every one of them; including the highly-touted Derek Stingley out of LSU.  Think they haven't tried to press him hard?  His footwork and acceleration are so good off the line that he can make up for his lack of bulk.  Don't ask him to do a ton of blocking on the perimeter, but as a pass-catcher I have zero concerns.  

I don't remember seeing Smith take a bunch of unnecessary shots after the catch either, but that is probably because he had so many result in him taking it to the house.  Either way, this is something that can very easily be taught at the next level.  

• Like 2

Smith will have explosive plays in the NFL, despite his light weight,  as long as he is used correctly.  If not used correctly then he will have issues with press coverage and he will take big hits.

Smith has to be used in a way where he never stops and waits.  He has elite route running skills that have to be utilized by hitting him in stride.  He will do very well in the NFL if paired with a QB with great anticipation, but if he is paired with an inconsistent QB or an OC that refuses to modify his play philosophy then it could be a short career for Smith.

Tevin Jenkins!!!!  This guy is rising and the more film I watch of him the more I like.  Nasty mauler in the run game and a good blocker in the pass game with the experience and versatility to play LT or RT.  He has played seasons, and mauled edge defenders, at both OT positions.  Right now he is my favorite prospect for pick 18, with Chase being my favorite for pick 6.

Why he is my favorite; He has elite measurables at 6'7" 330 lbs, 4.9 40, and 36 reps of 225.  He is a truly Nasty Mauler that plays through the whistle in the run game, and he plays equally good at LT or RT........ which would give us the ability to put Hunt at RG ( where he could be a pro bowl talent ) and start Jenkins at RT ( potentially a NASTY combo ) and it also gives us the flexibility to start Jenkins at LT and Hunt at RT in the near future if Austin Jackson doesn't work out.

Oklahoma St. OT Teven Jenkins Film Breakdown - YouTube

Edited by Swampbilly
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 9:34 AM, Tetsujin said:

Does anyone think we have room for the traditional lead FB on our roster, like Ben Mason? Getting towards the end of the draft, it’ll be harder to find guys who’ll make the team.

I would love to see us spend a late round pick on a player like Kenny Yeboah TE / HB Ole Miss.  He played that lead blocking FB role frequently in Ole Miss' Offense and at 6'4" 250 lbs he also was a good blocker and Receiver in the inline TE role.  2 Birds 1 Stone.

Here you can watch Yeboah's ( #84 ) full game film vs a very NFL ready Alabama Defense.

Kenny Yeboah - Ole Miss TE #84 vs Alabama (2020) - YouTube

Edited by Swampbilly

48 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I would love to see us spend a late round pick on a player like Kenny Yeboah TE / HB Ole Miss.  He played that lead blocking FB role frequently in Ole Miss' Offense and at 6'4" 250 lbs he also was a good blocker and Receiver in the inline TE role.  

What about Tommy Tremble?

14 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

What about Tommy Tremble?

I love what Tremble could bring to the Dolphins.  He's a much more polished player in that HB / TE mold than Yeboah IMO.  Tremble shows a lot more quickness in his game than Yeboah and is a more aggressive blocker.  I think Tremble gets drafted a couple rounds ahead of Yeboah though too.  I think Tremble could go as early as 3rd round ( compensatory picks ) to 5th round while Yeboah is a 6th or 7th round prospect IMO.

Edited by Swampbilly