• Byron Jones (Dolphins)
    • Marshon Lattimore (Saints)
    • Stephon Gilmore (Patriots)
    • Joe Haden (Steelers)
    • Richard Sherman (49ers)
    • Shaquill Griffin (Seahawks)
    • Another player that wasn't listed

On 16/06/2020 at 3:12 PM, Ray Reed said:

Because in my opinion there isn’t really a gap at all.

Because it's a homer vote, it's OK to admit it. 

Just don't get annoyed if people vote for their QB over Lamar in some QB poll in the future. 

17 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Tre White and Stephon Gilmore are 1a and 1b in my books. I think Gilmore was slightly better in 2019 but him getting burned by John Brown for a TD gives slight edge to White imo. White didnt give up a TD all year and that separates him barely. The fact that those two have probably 1 play that seperated them at all shows just how close they are. 

I’d give the edge to Gilmore simply because White stays on the left side of the field, while Gilmore was asked to shift to either side depending on the defensive gameplan that week, making Gilmore more difficult to scheme against.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Tre White and Stephon Gilmore are 1a and 1b in my books. I think Gilmore was slightly better in 2019 but him getting burned by John Brown for a TD gives slight edge to White imo. White didnt give up a TD all year and that separates him barely. The fact that those two have probably 1 play that seperated them at all shows just how close they are. 

It's important to note that Tre is a zone corner and Gilmore plays man-to-man, which gives Gilmore and edge. Still, Tre is a beast, and I'm glad to have him on the Bills. 

On 6/16/2020 at 10:12 AM, Ray Reed said:

Because in my opinion there isn’t really a gap at all.

I’m not going to sit here and pretend like I saw more than a few games’ worth of Stephon Gillmore and Tre White last year each, certainly not enough to know beyond a doubt that either of them would have played a better season than Marlon did on that 2019 Ravens defense. Did everything he was asked to do at the highest level possible imo - save that one long TD given up in the playoff game.

That gap comment wasnt in reference to my opinion necessarily, it was more in reference to other people seeing the names, and assuming there’s a pretty meaningful gap because they see and hear Gillmore and White’s names much more often than they hear Humphrey’s.

If I see a comparison that’s as close between all of the players (in my opinion) as I believe this one to be, and one of them is a Raven, I’m gonna vote for the Raven lol seeing as how I’m a Ravens fan.

But why do you think people here Tre's name more? It obviously isn't due to the market lol.

12 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Because it's a homer vote, it's OK to admit it. 

Just don't get annoyed if people vote for their QB over Lamar in some QB poll in the future. 

....which is essentially what I said in the last paragraph lol if it’s as close as I believe these 3 to be i’m going to vote for the Ravens player.

and....ok..I won’t? lol

3 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

But why do you think people here Tre's name more? It obviously isn't due to the market lol.

Because for better or worse when PFF starts to grade a player highly early in their career (deservedly or not deservedly so) that player’s name makes the rounds on social media/discussion boards/etc. more often. 

Evan Mathis effect. The average fan probably saw Evan Mathis’ name 10x more than a lot of other guards during those years when PFF was grading him like the best olineman in the league year in and year out lol but I don’t think many people actually thought that guy was the pinnacle of Oline play throughout the league. 

I’m not saying Tre White doesn’t live up to this standard - i’m just saying the casual fan who’s only seen him play a handful of games is more likely to mention him/vote for him when they see his name because of stuff like that. 

13 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

....which is essentially what I said in the last paragraph lol if it’s as close as I believe these 3 to be i’m going to vote for the Ravens player.

and....ok..I won’t? lol

Actually, what you initially said was "I think the gap between Gillmore/White and Humphrey is a lot smaller than many people would think."

then changed it "no gap" when you were called out. So small gap to no gap in an instant.

So you'll forgive us if we think you're a bit inconsistent and homeristic.....

Edited by Hunter2_1

On 6/15/2020 at 7:33 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Scary thing is JC Jackson actually outperformed Gilmore in Y/T, passer rating allowed, etc. He just did it with #2s and with a little more help, so he rightly gets knocked below Gilmore in that regard. 

21 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Every year this site becomes more and more based on what a player has done in one year. 

Place this very same topic next year and watch how quickly things change.

Not really... Since 2017 White and Gilmore are first and second in passing rating allowed. Its more than just one season. The top 2 CB from last year have been the best 2 CBs the past 3 years running.

105332705_3336150109768856_3553238101014

1 hour ago, marshawn lynch said:

Not really...

It's very much true and a quick search proves it.

This topic was posted in November 2017 and neither White or Gilmore were even listed.
https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/4654-top-10-cbs/

Same here. This was posted on September 2018
https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/12811-2nd-best-cornerback-in-the-league/?tab=comments#comment-1126357

But now all of a sudden they're everyone's "best CB". 

This forum is largely driven by overreactions and recency bias. While consistency and longevity mean nothing. 

Since 2017 White and Gilmore are first and second in passing rating allowed. Its more than just one season. The top 2 CB from last year have been the best 2 CBs the past 3 years running.

First....

24jzKMq.jpg

Second, passer rating allowed is not the end all be all so you'll have to excuse if me I don't get excited over a CB holding down QB's like Josh McCown, Jay Cutler, Ryan Tannehill, Brock osweiler, Josh Rosen, Sam darnold,  Tyrod taylor, and Nathan Peterman....just to name a few.