• Byron Jones (Dolphins)
    • Marshon Lattimore (Saints)
    • Stephon Gilmore (Patriots)
    • Joe Haden (Steelers)
    • Richard Sherman (49ers)
    • Shaquill Griffin (Seahawks)
    • Another player that wasn't listed

On 16.6.2020 at 4:12 PM, Ray Reed said:

Because in my opinion there isn’t really a gap at all.

I’m not going to sit here and pretend like I saw more than a few games’ worth of Stephon Gillmore and Tre White last year each, certainly not enough to know beyond a doubt that either of them would have played a better season than Marlon did on that 2019 Ravens defense. Did everything he was asked to do at the highest level possible imo - save that one long TD given up in the playoff game.

That gap comment wasnt in reference to my opinion necessarily, it was more in reference to other people seeing the names, and assuming there’s a pretty meaningful gap because they see and hear Gillmore and White’s names much more often than they hear Humphrey’s.

If I see a comparison that’s as close between all of the players (in my opinion) as I believe this one to be, and one of them is a Raven, I’m gonna vote for the Raven lol seeing as how I’m a Ravens fan.

In my opinion, I saw too many penalties commited by Marlon due to being beat/out of position to be in the conversation of #1 cornerback in the league.

Playing in the slot mostly though, while better suited as an outside option, is something that has to be noted as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

It's very much true and a quick search proves it.

This topic was posted in November 2017 and neither White or Gilmore were even listed.
https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/4654-top-10-cbs/

Same here. This was posted on September 2018
https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/12811-2nd-best-cornerback-in-the-league/?tab=comments#comment-1126357

But now all of a sudden they're everyone's "best CB". 

This forum is largely driven by overreactions and recency bias. While consistency and longevity 

Thats the thing tho. These two have been the most consistent CBs in the league. There is always guys like Patrick Peterson and Jalen Ramsey who may have 1 or 2 really great years but White and Gilmore have been the most consistent. The reason they weren't listed back in 2017 is that Tre White was a rookie he was just as good as Lattimore but Lattimore got all the love as Tre is in a smaller market. And of course Gilmore was in first season with Patriots... his downfall was he struggled with Bills in previous seasons. 2018 whoever made that poll was stupid. White was clearly a top 5 CB at the time in just his 2nd season. It wasnt even a debate. Since his rookie season Tredavious White has been the most consistent CB he has improved every single year and he is just entering his prime. Gilmore is more up and down throughout his career but he just had a tremendous season.

On 6/18/2020 at 3:31 PM, Letsch80 said:

As much as I love Humphrey the pick has to be Gilmore. White and Humphrey are a close second..

Agreed. Gilmore is IMO on another level. It’s like Humphrey and White are on platform 9 and Gilmore is on 9 3/4.

White has the benefit of better passer rating grades, but he plays LCB exclusively while Humphrey has covered all over the field and has been a top 5 CB as both an outside corner and slot corner. He’s also one of the best tackling corners I’ve ever seen.

He’s not playing “protected” as purely an outside corner or on simply one side with a lesser corner for offenses to exploit opposite him. Humphrey has another All Pro CB opposite him... before that Smith/Carr were still superior. There’s thus no “protection” to insulate his performance metrics. Which more closely resembles Stephen Gilmore and what he’s able to accomplish... Gilmore is simply better than both.

All that to say White is still a beast... just that he has it the “easiest” of the other top notch coverage options.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

1a) Gilmore

1b) White

2) Humphrey

3) Ward

This also would've been my ranking the year before.

I'm glad you left Chris Harris off the list. Worst year as a pro. Probably because of his contract situation which is why he settled for less money with the Chargers.

Edited by BullsandBroncos

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

Gilmore. He just had one of the best CB years of the last two decades. Like take Revis’ best year and last year for Gilmore was as good or better statistically 

Him and White were the best CBs last year no doubt, but Gilmore had a CAKE QB walk last year so this is a bit much. Talib with Denver and NE, Champ Bailey in 06, Revis, Asomugha, Chris Harris in 2014, Asante Samuel in 06, Richard Sherman in 2013, I can go on.

Edited by BullsandBroncos
  • Like 2

On 6/24/2020 at 8:18 AM, marshawn lynch said:

Thats the thing tho. These two have been the most consistent CBs in the league. There is always guys like Patrick Peterson and Jalen Ramsey who may have 1 or 2 really great years but White and Gilmore have been the most consistent. The reason they weren't listed back in 2017 is that Tre White was a rookie he was just as good as Lattimore but Lattimore got all the love as Tre is in a smaller market. And of course Gilmore was in first season with Patriots... his downfall was he struggled with Bills in previous seasons. 2018 whoever made that poll was stupid. White was clearly a top 5 CB at the time in just his 2nd season. It wasnt even a debate. Since his rookie season Tredavious White has been the most consistent CB he has improved every single year and he is just entering his prime. Gilmore is more up and down throughout his career but he just had a tremendous season.

Hey hey hey. Patty P was a First-team All-Pro thrice and made the Pro Bowl eight years in a row. He's no longer the best CB in the league, but at one point it was Patty P and Richard Sherman consistently at the two best cover CBs in the league. Peterson was also once again incredibly last year... After being suspended for 6 games and having two awful games upon returning, one of which was a Primetime game. That really hurt his reputation, but he still ended up shutting people down later on in the season. My theory is that he showed up out of shape.

Anyways, TreDavious is my pick, but I was just saying that Peterson was a stud for a long time, not a 1-2 years guys like Ramsey.

On 6/29/2020 at 4:02 AM, EagleBlueDon said:

I know I'm an Eagles fan and that you prob just threw that list together, but no mention of Slay? Weird.

Do you think Slay is the best CB in the league? If not, it doesn't really matter that he's not on the list. But yeah, I just threw it together with the first names I thought of. Feel free to vote for the "another player" option. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 6:26 PM, EagleBlueDon said:

Darius Slay, having the success he's had over the years, all while shadowing the opposition's #1 WR deserves some credence.

It’s not a thread discussing good CBs. It’s a vote for the #1, which Slay really doesn’t have any argument for whatsoever.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Do you think Slay is the best CB in the league? If not, it doesn't really matter that he's not on the list. But yeah, I just threw it together with the first names I thought of. Feel free to vote for the "another player" option. 

What has Joe Haden done with the Steelers to be on this list?