Several Cowboys and Texans Players are COVID-19 Positive

HTTRDynasty

So there has been no rookie camps, no minicamps and now training camp is in serious jeopardy. There's also no way to quarantine 50+ players for each NFL team. The "second wave" isn't supposed to hit until this winter as well.

This is not good news for the 2020 season. Not good at all.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, August4th said:

I wonder what the NFL will do with people who fall under the at risk group

will someone like James conner be allowed to play since he had cancer? or coaches like bill and pete who are in mid-60's or older be allowed to coach?

A prior history of cancer in remission wouldn't fall in the "at risk" category. If someone had active underlying cardiopulmonary, blood, or kidney issues, then it would. I would flag the sick cell traits and asthmatics.

• Like 6

There isn't much the NFL can do.

Everyone involved either needs to be aware of the potential consequences and agree to the risks, because being reasonable there is no way the league is going to be able to successfully prevent players and staff from getting the virus, or they need to forget about having the season and look forward to 2021.

There is no reason to have the season if they are going to have to remove players every week if they test positive for the virus.  The virus is going to spread, guaranteed.  If the players want to play, then take the risk.  If the risk isn't worth it, and if the only solution is to make players sit out, then the quality of the season is going to suck.

And I'm not saying this to sound morbid or that players should just suit up and accept their fate.  My point is everyone needs to be reasonable with themselves.  If the games happen, it's almost certain at least one player or staff member on each team will get it.  And then it's a chain reaction after that.  What's the point of playing if we're at the point where when that happens, the only option is to start pulling players and coaches from the team?  What happens when multiple starting quarterbacks get the virus?

I'm torn on what I want to happen.  Selfishly, I want the season to happen.  But it's unreasonable to expect players to want to play against someone who has tested positive for the virus, while I think pulling players every week who test positive is going to lose to a disaster of a season.  So I don't know.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

There isn't much the NFL can do.

Everyone involved either needs to be aware of the potential consequences and agree to the risks, because being reasonable there is no way the league is going to be able to successfully prevent players and staff from getting the virus, or they need to forget about having the season and look forward to 2021.

There is no reason to have the season if they are going to have to remove players every week if they test positive for the virus.  The virus is going to spread, guaranteed.  If the players want to play, then take the risk.  If the risk isn't worth it, and if the only solution is to make players sit out, then the quality of the season is going to suck.

And I'm not saying this to sound morbid or that players should just suit up and accept their fate.  My point is everyone needs to be reasonable with themselves.  If the games happen, it's almost certain at least one player or staff member on each team will get it.  And then it's a chain reaction after that.  What's the point of playing if we're at the point where when that happens, the only option is to start pulling players and coaches from the team?  What happens when multiple starting quarterbacks get the virus?

I'm torn on what I want to happen.  Selfishly, I want the season to happen.  But it's unreasonable to expect players to want to play against someone who has tested positive for the virus, while I think pulling players every week who test positive is going to lose to a disaster of a season.  So I don't know.  

What happens in 2021 when a vaccine is still not ready and COVID-19 is still around?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sammymvpknight said:

What happens in 2021 when a vaccine is still not ready and COVID-19 is still around?

If there's still not been a vaccine by July of 2021 when the following football season is around, I'd be pretty confident we'll have reached some form of herd immunity by that point. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

That's kind of my point though.  Either all involved need to accept the circumstances and play out the season normally, or don't have a season at all.  Because in all likelihood, not much will have changed next year.

Sitting players and coaches out because they test positive for COVID-19 is going to be horrible for the league.  There is no way numerous players and coaches on each team aren't gonna get it over the course of an entire season. 

Like I said, I hope I don't come across as morbid or anything.  I don't want players to play if they don't feel comfortable, so if they don't want to take the risk, then I don't think football should be played until everyone is more comfortable or the situation has "mellowed" out.  But pulling players is going to have a terrible result.  At least in the NBA, players getting injured (for multiple weeks at a time) is a relatively low probability.  NFL teams already have to deal with players getting injured at a higher rate than other leagues, which might become even more of a problem than usual considering the lack of OTAs and available gyms for players.  So now we're talking about a season where teams have to deal with multiple injuries AND having to sit players out once they test positive.

I just don't really understand the point of having the season if you are going to pull players because they test positive. If the NFL says so other players don't get it, then why play games in the first place?  If players say so they don't get it, why are you playing in the first place?  They can't have it both ways.  Either everyone has to understand the situation and move forward with it, or not have the season, because that is the only (and best) way you are going to guarantee protection for the players and coaches.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

Part of me selfishly wants the season to start because I so badly want to see live football again.  Part of me selfishly wants the season to be cancelled, and the Redskins to receive the #2 overall pick again to draft Penei Sewell.  And part of me wants the season to be cancelled so that the players don't contract the virus, because who really knows what impact that will have on their long term health even if they're young and healthy (and almost sure to survive the infection) now.

So really, I'd be fine either way.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, August4th said:

I wonder what the NFL will do with people who fall under the at risk group

will someone like James conner be allowed to play since he had cancer? or coaches like bill and pete who are in mid-60's or older be allowed to coach?

The Conner question is a good one. I asked about my son who is in remission, and the doctors said that he is fine. After you're done with chemo your immune system isn't compromised anymore than a regular persons. I would imagine that Conner won't need anything special that other players don't. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Part of me selfishly wants the season to be cancelled, and the Redskins to receive the #2 overall pick again to draft Penei Sewell.

Do you expect them to keep the draft order the same if we get no football? I'd imagine they do an NBA style lottery for the teams who missed the playoffs. 

16 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

It's simple, the NFL won't be able to play again in 2021. Considering the USA's slow response to the pandemic, I'm willing to bet that a vaccine won't be available until summer of 2021 at the earliest. Make no mistake this virus is deadly and if the NFL tries to play with it running rampant, we could see the deaths of many famous coaches/players.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If there's still not been a vaccine by July of 2021 when the following football season is around, I'd be pretty confident we'll have reached some form of herd immunity by that point. 

Doubtful. There's research out there by some of the field experts saying that herd immunity for US population size would take multiple years, if it was ever achieved...

• Like 2