Several Cowboys and Texans Players are COVID-19 Positive

HTTRDynasty

2 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Unless he and the other players have some kind of underlying medical issue, they should all be fine. The problem is if they spread it to anyone else that are under one of the risk group.

That's just the simple way at looking at it. You are looking at if they are in danger of dying or not. I mean by all accounts they should be fine in that regard. What I'm talking about is the potential long-term damage you have to deal with if you catch the virus.

6 minutes ago, viper952 said:

You said people felt fine after getting tested then came down with symptoms. I don't see that anywhere.

It's extremely rare for a healthy person to to have long last effects though.

Most recover fine

No, what I said is people felt fine and then started to see to the long-term effects of the virus. You can feel normal for a bit and test negative a few weeks later and then notice your lungs aren't operating the same or you have some other issues. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's just the simple way at looking at it. You are looking at if they are in danger of dying or not. I mean by all accounts they should be fine in that regard. What I'm talking about is the potential long-term damage you have to deal with if you catch the virus.

Just to be clear, I do take COVID very seriously and hope that they will be fine. Come join our thread in the nonsport part of this forum if you want more interesting discussion. We would love to have you. That being said, everything I’ve read seems to indicate that there is a low probability for their age group of suffering a long term effect. Doesn’t mean it can’t ever happen. But the true danger IMO is how easily it could spread to people like friends and family. The older staff and personnel on the team are more at risk of suffering health issues as well as dying.

I'm assuming protocol for not just the NFL, but any sport, is to remove a confirmed positive case from the team, whether its a player, coach,  team doctor, equipment manager, etc. I can't imagine the NFL letting a player or coach or whoever with a positive COVID-19 test mingle in the locker room or team building, let alone be available on gameday. 

You saw it in UFC 249 last month - one of the fighters tested positive, so his fight was removed from the card. The rest went on as scheduled.

Simple enough if lets say 1-2 players test positive and need to be quarantined. Next man up. But it can get tricky really fast. What if the 7 of the 10 DB's on your roster test positive? How do you replace that many players? Or what if half of an entire team tests positive on Monday? Do the two teams who played the previous Sunday both quarantine for 14 days? Do their games get cancelled or re-scheduled? 

I'm sure the NFL is formulating a plan for all the above and more (and also looking at other sports leagues plan of attack and see what works/what doesn't). But it seems very complicated. 

Edited by 49ersfan

3 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

It's simple, the NFL won't be able to play again in 2021. Considering the USA's slow response to the pandemic, I'm willing to bet that a vaccine won't be available until summer of 2021 at the earliest. Make no mistake this virus is deadly and if the NFL tries to play with it running rampant, we could see the deaths of many famous coaches/players.  

I think that the NFL players would probably be fine (especially if you screen out at risk players). Not only are the players at a very low risk age category, but I think an argument can be made that their fitness is protective compared to the general population. I suspect a number of players have already been exposed without a death...something that is becoming apparent with more widespread testing. I think that the coaches and other non-player personnel could certainly be at risk. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think that the NFL players would probably be fine (especially if you screen out at risk players). Not only are the players at a very low risk age category, but I think an argument can be made that their fitness is protective compared to the general population. I suspect a number of players have already been exposed without a death...

Yes and no. Its a novel virus and we learn more each day. Much of what we thought about the virus in January turned out to be false in March. What we thought we knew in March has been updated and changed in May. It was thought that pediatric patients were safe, then we later learned that's not the case.
Too soon to be making any declarations about who is/isn't at risk imo

We also don't have good data on what happens on the line of scrimmage over a 3 hour period. You have two immense humans 3 inches apart, breathing heavily while under intense exertion. There really isn't a good model for that in the real world. Players talk about how exhausted they are at the end of a series and at the end of a game. How does that impact transmission and infection ? How does their exertion level impact getting and progressing in the disease ? What if the players are taking other meds for various maladies and or steroids/hGH etc ?  None of that has been studied so far. If you read the stories from COVID19 patients, they all talk about the oxygen deprivation and how they have zero energy... now imagine that in a football player.

So much we just don't know yet.
But what we do know is that viruses from the same family cause lung scarring, cardiac issues and other long- term concerns. Its well within the realm of possibility that the players get COVID19, recover after several weeks and have impaired lung function for the rest of their lives - thus limiting their ability to play professional sports. That possibility has to weigh on the minds of some players -  and although that risk is small, its not zero.

The NFL Lords surely want their money, but it ain't their livelihood at risk out there on the field.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Yes and no. Its a novel virus and we learn more each day. Much of what we thought about the virus in January turned out to be false in March. What we thought we knew in March has been updated and changed in May. It was thought that pediatric patients were safe, then we later learned that's not the case.
Too soon to be making any declarations about who is/isn't at risk imo

We also don't have good data on what happens on the line of scrimmage over a 3 hour period. You have two immense humans 3 inches apart, breathing heavily while under intense exertion. There really isn't a good model for that in the real world. Players talk about how exhausted they are at the end of a series and at the end of a game. How does that impact transmission and infection ? How does their exertion level impact getting and progressing in the disease ? What if the players are taking other meds for various maladies and or steroids/hGH etc ?  None of that has been studied so far. If you read the stories from COVID19 patients, they all talk about the oxygen deprivation and how they have zero energy... now imagine that in a football player.

So much we just don't know yet.
But what we do know is that viruses from the same family cause lung scarring, cardiac issues and other long- term concerns. Its well within the realm of possibility that the players get COVID19, recover after several weeks and have impaired lung function for the rest of their lives - thus limiting their ability to play professional sports. That possibility has to weigh on the minds of some players -  and although that risk is small, its not zero.

The NFL Lords surely want their money, but it ain't their livelihood at risk out there on the field.

Admit it, you’re secretly Sr Fauci aren’t you?

6 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I've considered that as well, but I would think that would set a precedent the NFL has been trying to avoid for many years.  They've been against the lottery system for so long, I can't see the owners changing their minds on that, even for such a unique situation.

I could definitely be wrong.  Though I obviously hope I'm not. :D

Me too :-)

I can dream of th haul we'd get in a trade for #1.  That might be enough to get me through not having a season.

• Like 1