Several Cowboys and Texans Players are COVID-19 Positive

HTTRDynasty

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29328206/dr-anthony-fauci-football-needs-bubble-format-play-2020

"Unless players are essentially in a bubble -- insulated from the community and they are tested nearly every day -- it would be very hard to see how football is able to be played this fall," Fauci said. "If there is a second wave, which is certainly a possibility and which would be complicated by the predictable flu season, football may not happen this year."

FWIW

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

If Im Von Miller I don't play. If he gets COVID while having asthma he could never breath well again. 

Same with guys like David Andrews who just got cleared for blood clots, or anyone with sickle cell like Tevin Coleman 

I believe Von already tested positive, but your point still stands.
There are any number of players with various conditions that put them into a higher risk category
As much as I want/need NFL football, I won't blame any of these guys for bowing out. Lots of talk about the long-term consequences of brain injuries - but not as much discussion over the long- term effects of lung scarring from this infection.

There's really only 1 reason to play football this year - and that's money for the owners/networks.
But no amount of money can buy you a new set of lungs. (legally)

• Like 1

Granted, I'm a teacher/coach and not a multimillion dollar athlete, but I know that through December of 2020, those who have immediate family testing positive with COVID or who do so themselves, or need to quarantine because they have a documented (doctor's note) "at risk" factor, we can take FMLA leave at 80% compensation.

It would be nice to see the NFL implement something similar for these athletes. Make the owners pay them at a % of their base pay, and that number DOES NOT COUNT against the salary cap.

JMHO

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Granted, I'm a teacher/coach and not a multimillion dollar athlete, but I know that through December of 2020, those who have immediate family testing positive with COVID or who do so themselves, or need to quarantine because they have a documented (doctor's note) "at risk" factor, we can take FMLA leave at 80% compensation.

It would be nice to see the NFL implement something similar for these athletes. Make the owners pay them at a % of their base pay, and that number DOES NOT COUNT against the salary cap.

JMHO

This would be a good way to handle it, but I seriously doubt the owners will go for it. 

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

JMHO

Right now there is no contact. In the season they will get 100% of their pay just like an any other injury/illness. The only thing this really makes sense for is "at risk" - but wouldnt that just be every offensive lineman in the NFL + Tom Brady?

NFL Clubs would probably already excuse a player if a spouse or child had covid. Maybe that should be made mandatory. 

Edited by Matts4313

27 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Right now there is no contact. In the season they will get 100% of their pay just like an any other injury/illness. The only thing this really makes sense for is "at risk" - but wouldnt that just be every offensive lineman in the NFL + Tom Brady?

NFL Clubs would probably already excuse a player if a spouse or child had covid. Maybe that should be made mandatory. 

IMO it’s no different from Pittsburgh paying and excusing Ryan Clark when they played in Denver with his sickle cell anemia. It’s not a 1-1 correlation, but the precedent is there. They left it completely up to him and he made the tough decision not to travel, which the Steelers backed and supported 100%.

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO it’s no different from Pittsburgh paying and excusing Ryan Clark when they played in Denver with his sickle cell anemia. It’s not a 1-1 correlation, but the precedent is there. They left it completely up to him and he made the tough decision not to travel, which the Steelers backed and supported 100%.

Im not sure I am connecting this to the original post?

and you didnt recognize my Brady is old joke.

6 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

The Athletic now reporting sources at Clemson are reporting 23 of their players are positive after they returned to campus and resumed activity. Not good. 

Not good but entirely logical and predictable. Somehow this was being treated like a frozen dinner where you invest a certain amount of time and then it's done and dandy.

The football demographic is not going to fare well in evaluating something like this. That was a guarantee from the outset. I emphasized it on many sites. College will be worse than pro and college football fans will be worst of all. It is begging for disaster if college football stadiums are open for business as usual, given the dismissive attitude that will prevail.

• Like 2