How many PG's were better offensively than Steve Nash?

Mox

47 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Nash was an all around better offensive player than magic. His shot was money. I wish he played in this era he’d put up curry type numbers. 

Magic had more help but he led some amazing offenses with varying degrees of teammates:

2nd, 7th, 2nd, 1st, 5th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 5th.

When he retired he had led 6/12 best offenses in NBA history, including the best ever to that point. Plus while he didn't have the shooting of Nash, his size advantage made up for that. I might have jumped the gun though, because Nash has a case.

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Nash was an all around better offensive player than magic. His shot was money. I wish he played in this era he’d put up curry type numbers. 

Curry type of numbers in what regard? In terms of scoring? No, he simply didn't have that type of mentality. 

23 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I don't think he would. He was never built to play like Curry. He was a pick n' roll dimer that had a great shot. But his best weapon was coming off picks and dishing to Amare and/or his perimeter shooters.

Steve Nash on the Suns was my favorite player to ever watch in the NBA outside of LeBron James. It felt like the Suns were unstoppable on offense. If I were an NBA coach, that's the type of point guard I would hope to have.

Where does Nash rank historically? I'm not enough of a basketball historian to give you much insight into that. But from when I started watching (2003) until now, I don't know if I'd pick anyone other than maybe Curry. The next closest in that era would probably be Kyrie, but Nash was such a better passer that it's not really close.

16 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't think he would. He was never built to play like Curry. He was a pick n' roll dimer that had a great shot. But his best weapon was coming off picks and dishing to Amare and/or his perimeter shooters.

Steve Nash on the Suns was my favorite player to ever watch in the NBA outside of LeBron James. It felt like the Suns were unstoppable on offense. If I were an NBA coach, that's the type of point guard I would hope to have.

Where does Nash rank historically? I'm not enough of a basketball historian to give you much insight into that. But from when I started watching (2003) until now, I don't know if I'd pick anyone other than maybe Curry. The next closest in that era would probably be Kyrie, but Nash was such a better passer that it's not really close.

If terms of offensive talent Kyrie is way up there. In terms of actual offensive impact he's not even worth mentioning in discussions like these.

21 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

Maybe Curry? Curry is definitely above him on the all time PG list and it definitely ain't because of defense. 

Nash is a top 10 offensive player ever. Maybe top 5. Yeah, offensively, Nash has an argument over Curry.

3 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Nash is a top 10 offensive player ever. Maybe top 5. Yeah, offensively, Nash has an argument over Curry.

And Curry is even better. Curry is the greatest shooter of all time and it's not even close. His volume + efficiency combination is so unmatched it's crazy. Nash is a better passer, obviously, but the difference in their scoring is bigger than the difference in their passing. 

It's not even about disrespecting Nash, if I had a 2nd favorite team it would probably be the Suns. Nash is one of the best PGs of all time, but especially offensively. I just think we've kinda gotten too used to how good Curry is. He's absolutely changed the game. Curry is probably the 2nd best PG ever after Magic.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

And Curry is even better. Curry is the greatest shooter of all time and it's not even close. His volume + efficiency combination is so unmatched it's crazy. Nash is a better passer, obviously, but the difference in their scoring is bigger than the difference in their passing. 

It's not even about disrespecting Nash, if I had a 2nd favorite team it would probably be the Suns. Nash is one of the best PGs of all time, but especially offensively. I just think we've kinda gotten too used to how good Curry is. He's absolutely changed the game. Curry is probably the 2nd best PG ever after Magic.

I'm not saying Curry isn't better but Nash absolutely has a case over him. Nash's passing and control of the game was absolutely transformative. He was a basketball genius on a level Curry isn't. Curry is the better shooter and scorer but Nash also showed the ability to scale up in scoring when needed without sacrificing any efficiency (see: playoff numbers). He didn't shoot as much because he felt it was a PG's job to get everyone else involved first and if he were to play today he would be far more aggressive looking for his own shot. That's something he's admitted himself. Nash also led better Phoenix offenses than Curry has in Golden State despite having worse coaching, worse personnel and more moving parts.