Video: Studying QB Progressions + Art of Run Blocking

G08

Found this on the Eagles' YouTube page... pretty awesome stuff and gives some insight into a derivative of our offensive scheme.

For me, it shed some light on just how terrible our run game was last year and how Nagy/Hiestand had no idea what they were doing.

• Like 3

I think Nagy knows the X's and O's just fine, but he and staff hasn't done a good job of coaching execution of same on grass.  

I have detailed mistakes I think he is making in practice philosophy.  

Edited by dll2000

2 hours ago, G08 said:

This is great teaching.  You can see the concepts themselves aren't rocket science.  I have executed this with 10 year olds and so have numerous coaches.

The detail devils is in the execution and the teaching.

• Like 1

11:30 of blocking video is sooooooo key to coaching OL.   Can't give that point enough likes.  

You need to split time between fundies and who to block in each situation.   

A lot of coaches are like zone blocking is so easy we are going to focus on technique and drills.   That is a mistake in my opinion.  I made same mistake before, because I am huge fundamentals guy for every position.  Especially for kids.   Fundamentals are super important, but when you don't also work on scheme and scenarios enough you look like Bears looked a lot of time.  

If you can get everyone on their guy then worst case scenario is they simply get beat which isn't that easy to do because you still have to go through or around a body even with a talent disparity.   But when you are unblocked box player it is a whole different ball game.  Instant disruption occurs.   

You can be greatest blocker in world and have best OL and if you aren't getting 5 guys blocking 5 guys you will look like hot garbage.   Single back run blocking double teams are designed to be temporary unless you have really light box which rarely happens.  You can't leave a free unblocked box defender in a gap, that is a stupid play design.  No one does that or wants to do that unless they are simply outnumbered and have no choice.   Alternative is your double team is so effective you seal off the LB with body of the DL moved off his spot, but you still have to keep eyes on LB.   People who talk about OL run blocking double teams don't know what they are talking about most of time.   The problem OL have often is it can be really hard to come off a double on a stud DL or a truly massive one so it can be a pick your poison situation.   

Pass blocking is totally different in terms of double teams because a lot of times teams aren't sending more than 5 rushers and you may also have a TE or RB pass blocking as well, or one rusher can also be a read player, so you have surplus blockers to play with and you can scheme the studs and have true double teams.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G08 said:

Found this on the Eagles' YouTube page... pretty awesome stuff and gives some insight into a derivative of our offensive scheme.

For me, it shed some light on just how terrible our run game was last year and how Nagy/Hiestand had no idea what they were doing.

The Eagles' YouTube page is just solid. They had some great videos that went over how advanced their system was and Flip's work with Wentz. Went into leverages with WRs, throwing guys open based on coverage and leverage, etc. 

• Like 1

I hope Nagy is learning to be a better on field practice coach to go with his other good traits.  

You would think Pagano or Fangio would have said something, they have the decades to know better and see mistakes he was making, but they probably didn't feel like they could given situation and things worked out in 2018.

You don't want to be new employee saying hey boss, I think you are doing this or that wrong or making a mistake.

I would get fired a lot I think as an NFL assistant coach or I would learn to keep my mouth shut regardless of what I think.  

36 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I hope Nagy is learning to be a better on field practice coach to go with his other good traits.  

What's the main issue you saw here? I believe you mentioned once that he would allow defensive pressure to ruin offensive reps so the QB couldn't establish timing, rhythm etc but I could be mistaken.

36 minutes ago, G08 said:

What's the main issue you saw here? I believe you mentioned once that he would allow defensive pressure to ruin offensive reps so the QB couldn't establish timing, rhythm etc but I could be mistaken.

I don't want to get into detail again, but from practice I saw and ones I read about he just doesn't fix mistakes on field.

I get that he is probably thinking he is going to fix them in film meetings and doesn't want to slow reps down but it results in a practice full of bad reps which isn't helpful either.  It is worse.

Look, in modern coaching people have figured out that name of game is reps.   Every one gets same amount of practice time in any given league.  Advantage goes to who uses that time the best.   

Why every minute of practice is scheduled/planned and you will hear horns go off to let everyone know it is time to do next thing.  There is real value in this approach - it is why everyone does it now - even in little league.  

But to me, I think shear amount of reps is not the winning formula by itself.  We got 40 plays of team or install in, while our opponents got 35.   We got 30 reps of pass blocking drill while our opponents got 20.   

You need efficient, quality reps, reps that are being coached up.  Not just watched.    

If I practice a karate kick 100x, but I am using bad form what good is it?  Worse, I am reinforcing bad habits.   Better that I slow down or my teacher slows me down and I concentrate on doing it right.  

Other problem is if someone is really struggling - like Long and Daniels were.  And they are causing this cascading effect that offensive team plays cannot be run semi live without being a broken play - then you don't keep doing it.   Because now everyone else on Offense is learning bad habits and nothing positive is being accomplished.   You attempt to isolate and fix them and do something else with remaining players.   Or you simply replace them if it goes on too long or can't be fixed.

To me when I saw Nagy and Heistand they weren't coaching guys up.  Not enough.  They were running through their reps and watching.

Pagano was coaching and sweating and yelling and working.  That is more my style and what I expect.

Also, you can't watch Long just killed all day in practice and not do anything about it.   Daniels is 21 and under going a position change.  Okay I get that.  But you have to make the ruthless decision when it needs to be made.  Yeah, Long is a cool dude and former great who sacrificed his body and health for team and yeah he is going to ***** when you move on because he is a big personality.  Like he is now.  But Bears were stupid not to move on from him years before when he still had value and they were insane to ever start him a single minute in 2019.  

You have to be willing to make hard and unpopular decisions.   Benching Long in 2019 before the season was a no brainer IMO and I came to that conclusion after 1 practice and to me it was obvious.   

These guys are watching it every day and then watching film of same thing - him losing nearly every rep.    I don't get it.    Maybe they thought he was going to get healthy somehow and then be good all of a sudden when games started.

• Like 1