The Runners Thread

UKTexans

So about 4 months ago I signed up for my 3rd annual JP Morgan Corporate Challenge run. A jog in the park for most at 5.5km, but I was determined to beat my PB of 31 minutes set in both my previous attempts. 

So I put my running shoes on and began pounding the pavement, with just a few weeks training I was able to trim 4 minutes off my PB.

Now I have the bug and I'm aiming to strip another 4 minutes off by July 2018. In the meantime I intend to run at least half a dozen more 10ks and a few halfs building up to a marathon in 2019.

So are there any other runners out there? 

10k PB: 49:59

5k PB: 23:08

Currently rocking New Balance 800 V7s.

new-balance-880v7-men.jpg

Going to purchase either a Garmin or another brand watch for Xmas as the arm phone holder is annoying. 

• Like 1

I just started running about two and a half months ago, it has done wonders for me so far. My waist has gone down significantly.

Some of my favorite times

4 miles in 35 minutes

3 miles in 26 minutes

not great, but I'm still primarily a weight lifter! My goal is to get to 4 miles in 30 minutes. 

5 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

My goal is to get to 4 miles in 30 minutes. 

This is a very achievable goal. I've effectively done the same thing,  working down from 8:40/mile pace to 7:30/mile pace by running around 25k a week. Interval training will help too. 

I'm aiming for 7:14/mile pace for my 10k in 2 weeks and I'd like to get well below 7 minutes within the next 12 months. 

I used to love to run.  Unfortunately I hurt my back and I can't run anymore.  But I ran Cross Country in High School (5k) and my personal best was around 18 min.  I ran a sub 5 min mile, but I trained specifically for the 400m and 800m.  I ran a 49.5 sec 400m and a I think around 1:52 time in the 800m.  

I always found Asics to have the best running shoes for long distance running.  

T600N_9351_0010255942_RT_AAC?$zoom$

• Like 1

Started running more recently as well. Was an athlete in HS, but have been primarily lifting since then. Started running not really for any reason other than seeing more scenery and the feeling of endorphins after getting done with a long run (one of the best feelings in the world). 

I'm not really aiming for marathons though; pretty strictly 5Ks (other than slightly longer runs to help improve 5K time). Have a couple friends who actually run races for prize money and everything, but I just want to keep it pretty casual. 

best time is just under 23 min (like 22:54 or something, would have to look). ultimate goal is to get under 20 min, but i'm going to need to start running more if i want to get there. right now lifting about 4 days a week, running one day, and maybe swimming one day. my time has been pretty stagnant for a couple months now (usually running 23 - 24 depending on how cool the weather is and other factors like if i slept well, etc).

run in adidas pureboosts and absolutely love them. 

I started running a few years ago and try to get a few runs in each week. Done a couple of 5K events with the fastest time of 23:48. Got 1st of 8 in my age group for one this summer at 24:something, can't remember the exact time, but I got a 1st place medal for it. It was just a small town thing so it was only 80 people total. Ran one a couple weekends ago where the finish line was the 50 yard line of US Bank Stadium, that was a lot of fun. 

I don't have any concrete goals in it with it, I just like being active and doing something that makes me sweaty after working my sedentary office job. Longest run I did on my own was 10 miles but thinking of trying to do a half marathon this spring.

Current shoes are Saucony Guide 10.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pollino14 said:

My only objective is to drop fat, so I normally run in intervals; sprint for a minute, jog for a minute. I go up in speed a tick a week or two, would you recommend decreasing my jog time a bit?

Not at all. I do very similar interval training. How many sprints do you do in a session?