The Runners Thread

UKTexans

I ran two laps of Hyde Park yesterday. First lap with a friend at 5:30/km pace then I went for a second on my own at 4:40/km pace. First time I think I've ever had a quicker second half than first! I always go out too hard lol.

Had enough in the tank for a third lap but we had plans so didn't have the time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

Didn't realize we had a thread for this. I'm not a natural at distance running (always more of a sprinter), but I have run 2 marathons and 4 half marathons. I tore a tendon in my ankle from rolling it on curbs during training for my second marathon, but recently ran my first half since surgery. I've just been enjoying being able to run again, but will be glad for cooler training weather.

My physical therapist thinks I tore my ATFL a little over a month ago. Any chance that's what you did?

On 8/5/2018 at 9:46 AM, BullsandBroncos said:

Best Shoes for high arches? Preferably none of the "naked foot" shoes like the Nike Free runs. When I was in the air force, I had a pair of Asics that were nice but $$$

Oh I miss those Asics. Mine wore out a few years ago. I've tried a few since then that were cheaper but was never satisfied and went back for another pair. Honestly it might just be better to either save for a bit to get quality or just look at insoles that may make your current shoes more accommodating.

https://www.vivehealth.com/blogs/resources/best-insoles-for-high-arches

got a 23 min 5K in the 85 degree heat today after work. was pretty stoked. 

pretty confident with a bit more training, ideal weather conditions, and adrenaline i can get a sub 20 on the next "official" 5K i run

actually training for a 10K, but once and awhile im letting it rip on 1 and 3 mile runs. trying to hit well under sub 6 on the 1 mile run. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

went for a cheeky 8k today with a friend, 41:46, so not that superb but not bad either, and we weren’t very exhausted afterwards

we’re looking for more races in and around the state to compete in but they’re all so far away, and we don’t want to drive three miles down the coast and have to get out and leg it practically straight away lmao

On 8/30/2018 at 10:11 PM, Shady Slim said:

and we don’t want to drive three miles down the coast and have to get out and leg it practically straight away lmao

Three miles doesn’t seem that far for a race. Like a 10 minute drive? 

Or you talking Australian miles or something?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dome said:

Three miles doesn’t seem that far for a race. Like a 10 minute drive? 

Or you talking Australian miles or something?

hours****, bit of an autocorrect faux pas

effectively most of the organised races start at like, 7:30-8am, and so we’d have to leave here at 4, which’d mean getting up before 3, etc... bit of a logistic struggle  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I signed up for another half marathon in May. Right now I'm only running 3 days a week. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday at 3 miles, 3 miles, and ~5 miles respectively. My long run this time of year on a treadmill depends on how long the episode of whatever TV show I'm watching is. Looking into some 8-12 week training programs, hoping to ramp up frequency and intensity in March. Anyone have any recommended plans?

Last year I didn't really follow a plan and it went alright but looking for a bit more structure this time. 

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I signed up for another half marathon in May. Right now I'm only running 3 days a week. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday at 3 miles, 3 miles, and ~5 miles respectively. My long run this time of year on a treadmill depends on how long the episode of whatever TV show I'm watching is. Looking into some 8-12 week training programs, hoping to ramp up frequency and intensity in March. Anyone have any recommended plans?

Last year I didn't really follow a plan and it went alright but looking for a bit more structure this time. 

I would look for a Hal Higdon plan. There a bunch of experience levels that I believe can be found for free on the internet. If you have an experience level in mind that you can't find, let me know and I could probably find it on my running club's website.