The Runners Thread

UKTexans

• 3 months later...

Currently training for a half marathon in May. Training has almost been entirely treadmills due to weather and time constraints which has made it miserable and frankly discouraging. I can tolerate the cold and dress warmer, although I'd prefer not to have to, but I'm not taking chances slipping on ice and breaking something so I stick to indoors. I had my first outdoor run and longest of the year run of the year so far at 8 miles in 70 minutes. If not for time constraints, I would have pushed myself for more. Took a chance on the ice on the trails melting enough and it was worth it. Felt so great being outside again.

Unfortunately the forecast for this week is more snow and cooler temps so it's back to the hamster wheel. 

• 2 weeks later...

@skywindO2 good luck with your training, it's tough with crappy weather. 

I just got back out there a few weeks ago after a 5 month layoff. Pace is a little off as expected, but cardio is coming back and stamina is pretty good. Have a 10k end of May, then a 1 hour run in June, followed by a few shorter runs before a half in October. 

Knee is in good shape so far, no ill effects yet. 

On 9/29/2017 at 11:42 AM, Heimdallr said:

If you are looking to improve your endurance or want to do interval training, try swimming. It is a full body workout, incredibly effective cardio work, and zero impact. Probably the best workout you can do. I switched from running to mainly swimming a few months ago to protect knees and it has been great.

If i had a free place to swim year round i would but there isn't much near me even in terms of gyms, let alone a place to swim. But impact is my biggest issue. Walking does more damage to my feet than running

6 hours ago, texans_uk said:

@skywindO2 good luck with your training, it's tough with crappy weather. 

I just got back out there a few weeks ago after a 5 month layoff. Pace is a little off as expected, but cardio is coming back and stamina is pretty good. Have a 10k end of May, then a 1 hour run in June, followed by a few shorter runs before a half in October. 

Knee is in good shape so far, no ill effects yet. 

another 8 inches of snow last night and freezing temperatures for the rest of the week. April isn't spring anymore. :(

Have a 10 mile relay coming up on Sunday, forecast is looking like possible snow or freezing rain. Should be a fun morning! Next week is looking like it might be nice so hoping to get back outside then. Need a few more long distance runs before race day next month. 

Good to hear the knee is holding up. 

• Like 1

^i know those weather/treadmill feels

driving me bonkers running on the treadmill right now. My distances aren’t near what they are outside since I get so damn bored on that thing. Makes me not push myself as hard.

just doing 5Ks right now, but working on increasing distance to 10K and then working on pace at that distance for awhile. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2018 at 3:56 PM, IrishGreen said:

^i know those weather/treadmill feels

driving me bonkers running on the treadmill right now. My distances aren’t near what they are outside since I get so damn bored on that thing. Makes me not push myself as hard.

just doing 5Ks right now, but working on increasing distance to 10K and then working on pace at that distance for awhile. 

Treadmills absolutely suck when you're used to running but for people that are new and have no concept of pacing it is a good way to figure out what you can handle and for how long. Yes they are mind-numbingly boring but for new people i think there is still some good there. 

7 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Been getting into trail running, I have a great area for it here. Anyone have any shoe recommendations for good trail running shoes? Trying to keep it cheap-ish

Define cheap. I always bought Asics from a store downtown where they will tell you if you over/under pronate so it would fit your needs better but they could be $120 bucks a pair

5 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Define cheap. I always bought Asics from a store downtown where they will tell you if you over/under pronate so it would fit your needs better but they could be $120 bucks a pair

I've been looking at some New Balances that are relatively cheap especially for my first pair. 

http://www.newbalance.com/pd/fuelcore-nitrel-trail/MTNTR.html?dwvar_MTNTR_color=Dark Covert Green_with_Black#color=Dark Covert Green_with_Black

http://www.newbalance.com/pd/fresh-foam-kaymin-trl/MTKYM.html?dwvar_MTKYM_color=Black_with_Phantom#color=Black_with_Phantom

3 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Nice thanks. How do they work for you? My gate is very different as far as pronation for walking/running so i have to get specific shoes for both