The Runners Thread

UKTexans

Anyone struggle with shin splints? And if you do, whats your best way in dealing with them? Never used to have a problem with my shins in my prime but now at 27 getting back heavy into the gym and running, I'm struggling making it a half a mile before my shins are on fire and I have to stop. I'm 6' about 210. Unfortunately, at the point where I'm just taking the bike for all cardio.

1 hour ago, packerrfan74 said:

Anyone struggle with shin splints? And if you do, whats your best way in dealing with them? Never used to have a problem with my shins in my prime but now at 27 getting back heavy into the gym and running, I'm struggling making it a half a mile before my shins are on fire and I have to stop. I'm 6' about 210. Unfortunately, at the point where I'm just taking the bike for all cardio.

Rest and ice.

Give them some time and start running again, shorter distances, less often and work your way up.

5 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

Do shin prehab. Heel walks, toe taps, banded toe pulls for your tibialis anterior.

16 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

There are sleeves you can wear which apparently help. I've never really had that issue.

21 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

Shin splints are on a continuum of lower leg injuries.

Shin splints --> medial tibial stress syndrome --> stress fracture

Rest and modification of training regimen is the best course of action early.  Increase vitamin D and calcium intake... daily vitamin is easiest.  Proper shoes the best match your foot structure, cross training, strengthening for your legs, stretching are other options.

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks away, I guess I'm supposed to start slowing it down now?

Uq0Np6c.png?1

Yesterday was my last "long" run in training. The plan originally called for 12 miles but I didn't see why I couldn't do 1.1 more. Really happy to get it in under 2 hours! Really need to make sure I drink more water the night before.

My plan now is to slow it down some, keep my week days the same and go with something like:

M: 3 miles
T: 6 miles
W: 3 miles
T: 6 miles
F: rest
S: 8 miles
S: rest
M: 3 miles
T: 5 miles
W: 3 miles
T: 5 miles
F: rest
S: Raceday
S: rest

Does that seem reasonable or should I do more or less?

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna keep posting to myself for run. Two days out, gonna go on one more training run tonight. Gonna try to keep it a little slower in pace but match my long run pace. 

What's the best thing to eat the night before? I was thinking of something kind of bland and light, like just a sandwich. Carbs and protein mostly. Maybe I'm over thinking it because I don't really eat anything special the night before most of my long runs anyway. 

12 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Gonna keep posting to myself for run. Two days out, gonna go on one more training run tonight. Gonna try to keep it a little slower in pace but match my long run pace. 

What's the best thing to eat the night before? I was thinking of something kind of bland and light, like just a sandwich. Carbs and protein mostly. Maybe I'm over thinking it because I don't really eat anything special the night before most of my long runs anyway. 

I eat some pasta, mixed with a little bit of  butter and NO sauce.

Yesterday was the big day. Ran my first ever half marathon in 1:54:43. I'm really happy with that time, when I first signed up I had my goal at 2:10 but as I started training, I realized sub 2 hours was a realistic goal. At the same time, I'm kind of disappointed, I know I could have done better. I think I may have drank too much water the night before and morning of. Right as I lined up to start, the urge to go hit but I had no time so decided to wait. At around the the 9 or 10 mile mark, I decided to hit the portapotty and in that little break, my legs cramped up, feet started to feel really heavy, and I could never get my pace back. 

My race pace is definitely faster than my training pace so that may have been a factor. The other runners around me always motivate me to go faster but I hadn't been able to work at that pace for this long of a period. Guess I have to run another... 

Fargo put on a great event though. Fargo is very flat so that's always nice. Had a nice cool temp, perfect for a long run. Was a bit breezy to start but it died down. Basically had the wind at my back for the first half.  There was spectators all along the route to cheer you on and local bands playing at every mile marker. Some great spectator signs too. I particularly liked "Find a cute butt and follow it" which has been my running philosophy since my first running event. There was even someone handing out beers for runners to shotgun if they wanted. 

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Second half marathon this morning. It felt really good but not happy to have finished about over 3 minutes slower than my first in May. Humidity was brutal and I know I didn't train as well as I did for the first either.

48ZYHwi.jpg

Happy to be done with it and excited to feast now and be a lazy blob all day. Gonna take a long break from running, really didn't enjoy training for this one over the summer. 

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 3

Didn't realize we had a thread for this. I'm not a natural at distance running (always more of a sprinter), but I have run 2 marathons and 4 half marathons. I tore a tendon in my ankle from rolling it on curbs during training for my second marathon, but recently ran my first half since surgery. I've just been enjoying being able to run again, but will be glad for cooler training weather.