Dr. Fauci: Football season will be hard to pull off unless players are in a bubble

49ersfan

Should the NFL play its season in a "bubble" zone?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NFL play its season in a "bubble" zone?

• Yes
    • No - play the season as normal
    • No - Cancel the 2020 season

“Unless players are essentially in a bubble – insulated from the community and they are tested nearly every day – it would be very hard to see how football is able to be played this fall,” Fauci said. “If there is a second wave, which is certainly a possibility and which would be complicated by the predictable flu season, football may not happen this year.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/18/fauci-says-football-season-will-be-hard-to-pull-off-unless-players-are-in-a-bubble/

Currently the NFL plans to have a season as normal....however one of the leading figures in the federal government's response doesn't think thats viable. He's also praised the NBA's plan to return, which is to have the players in a bubble in Orlando. 

This seems like the only viable way to me as well...chances of infection and the virus spreading if the season plays out as normal is way too high. For example, lets say 1-2 players test positive and need to be quarantined. Next man up. But it can get tricky really fast. What if the 7 of the 10 DB's on your roster test positive? How do you replace that many players? Or what if half of an entire team tests positive on Monday? Do the two teams who played the previous Sunday both quarantine for 14 days? Do their games get cancelled or re-scheduled? 

However this comes with its own issues....what sites have the infrastructure to host 32 nfl teams, coaches, support staff, media, etc, for months on end. They'll need top doctors for football related surgeries and to also ward off any potential covid-19 outbreaks. Thats easily thousands of people. How about signing street FA's? Will everyone involved put up with being quarantined from friends/family/outside life for upto 5-6 months? Does the USA have the testing infrastrutre to test thousands of people every day?

14 minutes ago, Danger said:

Test players hours before the games. Play without fans. 

You're good to go.

Yeah.. I agree this is the only way to do it.

My biggest concern is when a player has a false positive and has to sit for no reason. If it happens just once, people will be angry. It’ll be seen as worse than the most egregious of poor officiating based on how people will react to their best player missing a game in a loss.

If this is the route they go, and we see multiple players sitting each week (I don’t know that we will, I also don’t know that we won’t), people will just have to understand that this is the only way to have football. 

I think the 2020 season is going to have an asterisk next to it. Between empty stadiums and no rowdy fans taking away lots of the HFA and the potential for players missing games due to COVID or COVID concerns, it’s gonna be weird.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

If they do try and have football what we get is going to be so strange I honestly might rather them just wait. 

How so? Do you think that they are going to alter the fundamental aspects of the actual gameplay? 

I am a huge fan of the way the NFL have conducted this off season so far, in the face of the virus and the people/media casting them down for doing it. Brilliant. I want a season to go ahead like crazy BUT if putting payers into bubbles for the season is the only way to do it, it shall never happen. Players and coaches have families and friends and there is no way the NFLPA will allow players to be away from their loved ones for that long. Its just not a fair ask, just so that we can watch some sport. Think about everything thats going on in the world today with regards to political correctness, ideas about pulling players into team bubbles for months on end simply will not fly. Sad.

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

How so? Do you think that they are going to alter the fundamental aspects of the actual gameplay? 

No, but I think there will be a lot of poor football played. Guys will be in and out of the lineup, units will likely become undermanned very quickly. Hoepfully their position rooms are zoom rooms this season. Practices will be far lesser in all likelihood. Stars are going to be sitting. We might get matchups with 2nd or 3rd string QBs going up against each other. 

• Like 2

Herd immunity is never going to happen if everyone is in a bubble until a vaccine comes out, and even then it's not a guarantee.  Flattening the curve isn't about reducing the number of infected people, it's about stretching that amount of people over a greater time so the health care system is not overwhelmed.  We are seeing spikes now as restrictions are eased and phased back into something a little closer to normal, and that is to be expected.  If we start spiking past the highs we hit in April is when some tough decisions will have to be made.  As of now, we aren't even spiking that much in terms of covid deaths as they have continued to drop despite easing restrictions, although we'll see pretty soon if it's just a lagging indicator as we get further away from the big protests.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-deaths-per-million-7-day-average

daily-covid-deaths-per-million-7-day-ave

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Herd immunity is never going to happen if everyone is in a bubble until a vaccine comes out, and even then it's not a guarantee.  Flattening the curve isn't about reducing the number of infected people, it's about stretching that amount of people over a greater time so the health care system is not overwhelmed.  We are seeing spikes now as restrictions are eased and phased back into something a little closer to normal, and that is to be expected.  If we start spiking past the highs we hit in April is when some tough decisions will have to be made.  As of now, we aren't even spiking that much in terms of covid deaths as they have continued to drop despite easing restrictions, although we'll see pretty soon if it's just a lagging indicator as we get further away from the big protests.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-deaths-per-million-7-day-average

daily-covid-deaths-per-million-7-day-ave

Exactly. What frustrates me most about this situation, is the comment, "We just need to continue to stay home and save lives". Every time I see or hear that, it is coming from someone who can afford to do so. Every time. 

• Like 1