Dr. Fauci: Football season will be hard to pull off unless players are in a bubble

49ersfan

Should the NFL play its season in a "bubble" zone?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NFL play its season in a "bubble" zone?

• Yes
    • No - play the season as normal
    • No - Cancel the 2020 season

19 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

because there is no evidence that would help at all

not only that, but people who get serious cases can have permanent lung scarring. some have reported feeling out of breath months after their symptoms have passed, and we have no idea what recovery might look like or what the timetables are for that sort of thing. for a professional athlete, that's an incredibly serious deal.

i have a really bad feeling it's going to take a league (likely, imo, the NCAA given how much leverage they have over the players) trying to move forward with the season and end up with one or more athletes who end up having a serious case/long term symptoms for things to start getting cancelled.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Why don’t the have all the players do a chicken-pox like party now, in June/July, so that they recover in the next 3/4 weeks and are ready for camps in July/August? Instead of random pockets of players just continuing to get it throughout the entire season?

Im being somewhat serious on that too

In a chicken pox party, isn’t everyone already vaccinated?

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

because there is no evidence that would help at all

is there evidence it wouldn’t?

im not being facetious i’m genuinely asking. i haven’t been keeping track of all of the nuances of this thing. the last statistic i saw said something like 97%+ of people recover after a few weeks? would that not infer that a very significant majority of people are recovering after being exposed to it?

if that’s the case wouldn’t you want a group of people that are going to be around each other in close proximity to one another (athletes) for 17 weeks to have already had it instead of rolling the dice every week with like 5-10% of new cases going on the entire season?

or is covid something that you can contract multiple times and transmit multiple times with the same extremity of symptoms over a long period of time?

again - i genuinely don’t know these things, that’s why i’m asking

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwoleXmad said:

That's not how it works.

That's not how any of this works.

Covid19 has killed 100,000+ Americans you don't just get it and recover, some people have lasting damage, some people will never recover but are still alive, some people make it out fine.

how do we know about long-term recovery outlooks when the virus has been around for like what, 6 months?

not being snarky i’m genuinely asking

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

is there evidence it wouldn’t?

im not being facetious i’m genuinely asking. i haven’t been keeping track of all of the nuances of this thing. the last statistic i saw said something like 97%+ of people recover after a few weeks? would that not infer that a very significant majority of people are recovering after being exposed to it?

if that’s the case wouldn’t you want a group of people that are going to be around each other in close proximity to one another (athletes) for 17 weeks to have already had it instead of rolling the dice every week with like 5-10% of new cases going on the entire season?

or is covid something that you can contract multiple times and transmit multiple times with the same extremity of symptoms over a long period of time?

again - i genuinely don’t know these things, that’s why i’m asking

It's a novel virus - which basically means we know very very little for sure. What we do know is it can be deadly, even for completely healthy people. There are reports of healthy people suffering long term effects, specifically to their lungs. Yes it has only been six months, but doctors are viewing these as long term effects because otherwise the patients are fully healthy. Again, we know very little and pretty much everything out there is a best guess. Herd immunity, as someone else posted, without a vaccine is not estimated to be even remotely practical, and it can't be done with just a small group because, well, that isnt herd immunity. They do not know if immunity is built up after recovery, which is terrifying because IF you do get it twice, the chance of complications and long term after effects goes up exponentially. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

It's a novel virus - which basically means we know very very little for sure. What we do know is it can be deadly, even for completely healthy people. There are reports of healthy people suffering long term effects, specifically to their lungs. Yes it has only been six months, but doctors are viewing these as long term effects because otherwise the patients are fully healthy. Again, we know very little and pretty much everything out there is a best guess. Herd immunity, as someone else posted, without a vaccine is not estimated to be even remotely practical, and it can't be done with just a small group because, well, that isnt herd immunity. They do not know if immunity is built up after recovery, which is terrifying because IF you do get it twice, the chance of complications and long term after effects goes up exponentially. 

Dang, that’s wild - thanks for the response. Def didn’t know all that!

Just testing the players won't work. Someone else brought up the refs. But you also have coaching staff, ball boys, camera men, sound guys, grips, electricians, etc.

Unless they were to go full bubble dome and keep every single person involved in game days isolated for months, it won't work. It's way too soon to even be making this judgement. I'm hoping that the NFL is making plans for all possibilities, but who knows for sure.

5 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

how do we know about long-term recovery outlooks when the virus has been around for like what, 6 months?

not being snarky i’m genuinely asking

There are so many potential answers to this question, I'll go with the basic one.

We know about the long term recovery for most people because for the people who receive long term damage (damaged lungs, shortened breath for months after having it etc.) because we know what the outcomes of those are to a certain extent because of people who deal with those issues we don't know the exact effects of the virus but projection based on similar diseases/conditions is accurate-ish.

There is a lot we don't know about the virus and the people saying we'll have a vaccine within 18 months are probably correct. We'll have a "vaccine" but only that likely won't be effective or have a high success rate. I have a feeling Pharma will get one to market but it won't be effective. 

It took us decades to understand most viruses and even longer to find a cure.

Ironically ebola discovered in 1976 didn't get a potential cure/vaccine until december of 2019. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/first-fda-approved-vaccine-prevention-ebola-virus-disease-marking-critical-milestone-public-health

While there is a much higher urgency to find for Covid-19 vs. Ebola there is still a lot we don't know.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Just testing the players won't work. Someone else brought up the refs. But you also have coaching staff, ball boys, camera men, sound guys, grips, electricians, etc.

Unless they were to go full bubble dome and keep every single person involved in game days isolated for months, it won't work. It's way too soon to even be making this judgement. I'm hoping that the NFL is making plans for all possibilities, but who knows for sure.

The NFL's plan as of now is "Think of a plan". 

A brief reminder that Dr. Fauci has a jaw-dropping track record of flip flopping and failed predictions. His statements should be viewed in the same vein as a Magic 8-Ball or a psychic hotline. He's . . . not good at his job, to put it mildly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustAGuy said:

A brief reminder that Dr. Fauci has a jaw-dropping track record of flip flopping and failed predictions. His statements should be viewed in the same vein as a Magic 8-Ball or a psychic hotline. He's . . . not good at his job, to put it mildly.

I agree that he’s not good at his job. He’s great. 

But this isn’t the thread for that discussion.