Dr. Fauci: Football season will be hard to pull off unless players are in a bubble

49ersfan

Should the NFL play its season in a "bubble" zone?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NFL play its season in a "bubble" zone?

• Yes
    • No - play the season as normal
    • No - Cancel the 2020 season

4 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

It took us decades to understand most viruses and even longer to find a cure.

Ironically ebola discovered in 1976 didn't get a potential cure/vaccine until december of 2019. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/first-fda-approved-vaccine-prevention-ebola-virus-disease-marking-critical-milestone-public-health

A more recent and more applicable because they are in the same family would be SARS. Vaccine took 5 years to develop and implement. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

And I usually have great memory but I’m embarrassed to say I don’t ever remember seeing Dr. Fauci on a ballot.

I'm gonna regret this, but why would he be on a ballot and how is that relevant at all?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I consider the NFL essential. 

And I usually have great memory but I’m embarrassed to say I don’t ever remember seeing Dr. Fauci on a ballot.

If you need someone to win an election to validate their scientific credentials, I think there is a disconnect. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

He’s saying football season may not happen like he has some kind of authority. He’s an advisor. He’s not a policy maker.

I didnt see Roger Goodell on my ballot either 9_9

The guy isnt mandating anything. He was asked his expert opinion and he gave it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I didnt see Roger Goodell on my ballot either 9_9

The guy isnt mandating anything. He was asked his expert opinion and he gave it. 

I hate to argue over one word but it’s important. “Should not” is an opinion. “May not” is something different.

3 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I hate to argue over one word but it’s important. “Should not” is an opinion. “May not” is something different.

May not as in it may not happen not you may not do it. Context matter, so you are right, you shouldnt argue over one word because that makes no sense.

https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/english-grammar-reference/may-and-might

for your learning pleasure. Fauci is using the first example here. 

We use may:

• when we are not sure about something in the present or future:

Also, check the level 

Level: beginner

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

May not as in it may not happen not you may not do it. Context matter, so you are right, you shouldnt argue over one word because that makes no sense.

https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/english-grammar-reference/may-and-might

for your learning pleasure. Fauci is using the first example here. 

Also, check the level 

Lol. I imagined Taylor Swift snapping her fingers and shaking her head back and forth when I read this.

Yes. I am aware “may” can be used to speculate. Fauci being an expert and not a pundit I assumed that wasn’t the case.

7 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Yes. I am aware “may” can be used to speculate. Fauci being an expert and not a pundit I assumed that wasn’t the case.

Thank god we all understand basic English. Still a pretty illogical jump from expert in the field to mandate what a multi-billion dollar juggernauts can do. 

46 minutes ago, lancerman said:

If you need someone to win an election to validate their scientific credentials, I think there is a disconnect. 

Not what I said. But the World Health Organization said this thing couldn’t be transmitted human-to-human. And even the beloved Dr. Fauci told people they didn’t need to wear masks at one point. So just blindly believing anyone who is considered an “expert” doesn’t seem to be a good idea either.

11 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Not what I said. But the World Health Organization said this thing couldn’t be transmitted human-to-human. And even the beloved Dr. Fauci told people they didn’t need to wear masks at one point. So just blindly believing anyone who is considered an “expert” doesn’t seem to be a good idea either.

Holy cow - you mean that they didn't know everything about the disease right away? That's wild...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Herd immunity is never going to happen if everyone is in a bubble until a vaccine comes out, and even then it's not a guarantee.  Flattening the curve isn't about reducing the number of infected people, it's about stretching that amount of people over a greater time so the health care system is not overwhelmed.  We are seeing spikes now as restrictions are eased and phased back into something a little closer to normal, and that is to be expected.  If we start spiking past the highs we hit in April is when some tough decisions will have to be made.  As of now, we aren't even spiking that much in terms of covid deaths as they have continued to drop despite easing restrictions, although we'll see pretty soon if it's just a lagging indicator as we get further away from the big protests.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-deaths-per-million-7-day-average

daily-covid-deaths-per-million-7-day-ave

The US is so spread out it's hard to look at it as one area when discussing this virus. The virus hit the northeast and west coast extremely hard in March-April. The inland and southern coast was largely spared. Now you're seeing the spread drastically ramp up in Florida, Arizona, etc... one thing these states have in common is they've been very quick to open up and disregard mask usage. The truth is- this virus has serious potential to snowball if an outbreak occurs and measures aren't taken to contain it. These states have showed us the blueprint. If you're going to reopen bars/restaurants with no mask regulations, then the virus will surge again. 

There's not enough herd immunity any where outside of the major hot spots that will slow this virus down and, like you said, who knows how long immunity lasts? Regions in NY (the location of my home city) are extremely susceptible to getting another major surge since entering phase three a week ago. The reason you haven't seen any yet is due to Cuomo reopening the state slowly. Now that bars are open, and people are beginning to lose focus- you may see another surge in a month or two. This applies for many states that reopened wisely, and are now in a position to open bars/restaurants for indoor seating. At this point, it's on the public to manage the risk of an outbreak by wearing masks and, unfortunately, people are becoming more lenient in that regard, so surges are inevitable until the gov't and/or the people implement ways to slow it. 

So while the deaths are going down, hospitalizations and ICU populations are beginning to increase in many areas. NYC getting this virus under control will make the graphs look prettier, but again- due to the US being so big- it's wise to look at graphs on an area by area basis, especially considering the NFL has teams in many different areas scattered around the US. 

Truth is- I have no idea if the NFL will be able to play next fall. There's such a drastic difference in risk management by each state that we may have wildly different situations across the country. The NFL will need the players to stay isolated from the public, especially if governors still aren't regulating mask usage. I'm hopeful we'll have a vaccine by fall/winter, but even then- can you convince every NFL player to get vaccinated? We have some strange times ahead...Maybe we get lucky and the virus mutates to a weaker strain by then. Lord knows we deserve a break. 2020 has sucked donkey balls!

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1