Kareem Jackson tests positive for Corona

Cutler06

All of Texas is facing a boom in coronavirus. During the national peak I was diagnosing 1-2/d on average. This week it’s been 8-10/d. Every day. Looking at Texas data we never had our first peak. It just kid of smoldered (because the quarantine was working). Then the governor opened Everything back up and things are ramping up. Gonna be a loooong summer. 

all of our players who summer in Texas are at risk. It might be prudent for the broncos to bring everyone back to Denver two weeks early to quarantine in place and continue zoom meetings before bringing everyone together at the facility 

• Like 1

Im not sure why this is surprising, people are going to get this.  Its very contagious but so far seems to be very mild in healthy younger individuals.  Lets hope its very mild and symptoms pass quickly. 

• Like 1

I was reading up in some medical journals and there is some possible good news: Medical scientists in Jerusalem think they figured out the mysterious clotting issue with covid. Apparently in some people it’s causing an overproduction of a peptide called alpha defensin. This causes your blood to clot way faster than normal. They also think the clotting issue may be playing a key role in the severe respiratory symptoms some people develope. And there are currently existing medications that in theory could treat this. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

As this continues and we see these college programs getting overwhelmed with covid returning to campus, I hate to be pessimistic, but I don’t see how there is an NFL season.  

Only real possibility I can think of is if teams are quarantined from July until the teams season ends and I don’t see that happening.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

As this continues and we see these college programs getting overwhelmed with covid returning to campus, I hate to be pessimistic, but I don’t see how there is an NFL season.  

Only real possibility I can think of is if teams are quarantined from July until the teams season ends and I don’t see that happening.  

So, here's what I don't get. Obviously old farts like me are the real target group, but still, the data shows about 99% of the fatalities occur in people with serious health issues.

Under 45 though, less than 5% of the CV-19 fatalities occur in this age group and over 90% have serious health issues. Why would you do anything with a college or university or for that matter pros? In the under 45 age demographic the common flu is more dangerous. 

I just don't get it. If you doubt the numbers check out worldometer.com. Johns Hopkins is another. They are only two of many that substantiate the above figures.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So, here's what I don't get. Obviously old farts like me are the real target group, but still, the data shows about 99% of the fatalities occur in people with serious health issues.

Under 45 though, less than 5% of the CV-19 fatalities occur in this age group and over 90% have serious health issues. Why would you do anything with a college or university or for that matter pros? In the under 45 age demographic the common flu is more dangerous. 

I just don't get it. If you doubt the numbers check out worldometer.com. Johns Hopkins is another. They are only two of many that substantiate the above figures.

I don’t know all the science behind it, but don’t disagree.  Will add though that not all coaches fit that profile and many probably are in a higher risk category. 

I guess if the NFL is able to test players a couple times a week and only require players that test positive to isolate until negative, it’s possible.  I don’t know how much that would cost to test that frequently, but the NFL is probably capable of pulling it off.  

However, if every time a player tests positive requires a 2 week shutdown (which is what college programs are currently doing) we will never get through the season.

• Like 1

Well the problem is, what will be the long term health effects should be become infected. Also it seems a bit hard to ask players to take a health risk and also risk infecting their families or be completely isolated for 5-6 months. 

For me while I miss sports and very much want there to be a football season I completely understand if they don’t want to be isolated for that long from families potentially. The only way I see a season happening is if they expand rosters and can have replacement players ready to fill in should a player(s) test positive. 

• Like 1

I think it’s simple, but not necessarily easy or feasible.

Set a deadline for getting tested. Only players that test negative are activated. Players who test positive can return in 2 weeks. Anybody who will interact with players is also tested, while everyone else will observe distancing and/or wear masks when applicable.

Pros: No bubble. Less logistics issues. We get football. Risk minimized assuming tests are accurate.

Cons: Small outbreaks could derail teams. False negatives can mess everything up. Players will be responsible for minimizing risk. Replacement refs.

On 6/20/2020 at 11:29 PM, AKRNA said:

I think you are correct, young people are not really in danger generally speaking.  And there seems to be arguments to be made that it is good that they get it and start building immunities.  

But there is a very large portion of current population that is in high risk group and they come in contact with younger people and they are afraid and not without reason.  Many people generally are very afraid even when they are low risk.  Media is very powerful, especially if you watch it a lot.  

No easy answers.  To me best policy is to self quarantine when sick and don’t ‘tough it out’.    Wash hands.  Be courteous of others.  

Everything else is just more fingers in a breaking dam.  But I am not in charge of anything.  

It will be interesting to see how many, if any, players are seriously effected by getting it.  

Or if they just get sick and then get better.   Few of them should be in a high risk group.

Von Miller is severely asthmatic.   Even with him I have seen nothing that says he isn’t planning to play or isn’t working out. 

On 6/23/2020 at 5:41 AM, dll2000 said:

It will be interesting to see how many, if any, players are seriously effected by getting it.  

Or if they just get sick and then get better.   Few of them should be in a high risk group.

Von Miller is severely asthmatic.   Even with him I have seen nothing that says he isn’t planning to play or isn’t working out. 

I am pretty sure Von said he still wasn’t 100% a month after testing negative.  So that’s a good point as well.