Jets S Jamal Adams demands trade

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

What rule is he breaking?

No one is getting contracts right now, no one at all. Guys are playing on tags(Prescott, Judon) or stuck on one(Yannick) and Adams who has 2 years of guaranteed money on his deal with the team telling him next year is the year for your deal and he just has to be the only person getting a deal right now and if not he wants to go LeBron his way around the league?

He's not breaking a rule but his act is ridiculous. 

37 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

No one is getting contracts right now, no one at all.

Christian McCaffrey disagrees. DeForest Buckner got paid rather handsomely. As did Arik Armstead. As did Dante Fowler. As did Robert Quinn. As did a ton of other free agents. 

There’s definitely something to be said for teams’ reluctance with the potential 2021 salary cap up in the air, but it pretty much had no bearing on guys getting money in free agency. So teams can use this as a way to dangle guys in Adams or say Bosa’s situation to push another year on the deal, but the money is out there. You watched your team spend all that money in free agency but then they say they have reluctance to spend with the cap in the air? Wouldn’t fly with me either. Probably even less so for Adams, since he seems to have no trust in the organization. 

I’m not disagreeing that teams are likely scapegoating the possible salary cap and telling their guys they don’t want to pay them right now because of it. It just won’t fly when it seemed to have no bearing at all on free agency.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kirill said:

Kittle is injury prone. He's not worth as much as he's demanding either.

I haven't seen what Kittle is demanding, but if he doesn't come away with a contract that makes him comfortably the top paid TE in the league then he needs a new agent.

$12m-a-year at the very least. Although, I'd argue he could probably be worth more than that, closer to $14m. He would absolutely get paid if he decided to leave Niners. 

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Christian McCaffrey disagrees. DeForest Buckner got paid rather handsomely. As did Arik Armstead. As did Dante Fowler. As did Robert Quinn. As did a ton of other free agents. 

There’s definitely something to be said for teams’ reluctance with the potential 2021 salary cap up in the air, but it pretty much had no bearing on guys getting money in free agency. So teams can use this as a way to dangle guys in Adams or say Bosa’s situation to push another year on the deal, but the money is out there. You watched your team spend all that money in free agency but then they say they have reluctance to spend with the cap in the air? Wouldn’t fly with me either. Probably even less so for Adams, since he seems to have no trust in the organization. 

I’m not disagreeing that teams are likely scapegoating the possible salary cap and telling their guys they don’t want to pay them right now because of it. It just won’t fly when it seemed to have no bearing at all on free agency.

RIGHT NOW. They got paid in April, things aren't even close to how they were in April.

Edited by KingOfTheDot

12 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

RIGHT NOW. They got paid in April, things aren't even close to how they were in April.

We were in lockdown at that point. Physicals really weren’t being done, in-person meetings weren’t happening, other leagues were shut down. There were definitely questions about how long and how far this would all go. 

Pretty easy to scapegoat the issue and say “sorry guys, can’t pay you now”. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

We were in lockdown at that point. Physicals really weren’t being done, in-person meetings weren’t happening, other leagues were shut down. There were definitely questions about how long and how far this would all go. 

Pretty easy to scapegoat the issue and say “sorry guys, can’t pay you now”. 

We had little to no information regarding the cap in terms of potential revenue. Giving Adams a pay raise only to have a smaller than anticipated cap next year is doing the franchise a disservice. We still have to sign our rookies as well along with any other moves that may come via injuries, etc...

If multiple guys were signing extensions right now then one could argue it makes sense but teams aren't spending money right now, paint it how you want that's a proven fact. Teams aren't even talking trades right now, its just too much going on.

3 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

We had little to no information regarding the cap in terms of potential revenue. Giving Adams a pay raise only to have a smaller than anticipated cap next year is doing the franchise a disservice. We still have to sign our rookies as well along with any other moves that may come via injuries, etc...

If multiple guys were signing extensions right now then one could argue it makes sense but teams aren't spending money right now, paint it how you want that's a proven fact. Teams aren't even talking trades right now, its just too much going on.

As opposed to all the information we have on the cap now? There’s nothing out there. Just potential for a decrease, but there’s nothing concrete. 

And we’ve been over this. It’s never convenient to pay a guy top dollar vs rookie dollars. Never. You guys are acting as if he’s overstepping his boundaries because the cap hit might hurt the team, and that he should just shut up and play like everyone else. That’s not the case. 

Again, not pretending like the possibility of a smaller or stagnant cap has no bearing on a team’s willingness to extend guys. But I’m not going to pretend like teams aren’t just using that, especially in a case like Jamal’s, to just tell him to screw off and play on the deal we want you to play on. Nah, just one of us pretending.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

As opposed to all the information we have on the cap now? There’s nothing out there. Just potential for a decrease, but there’s nothing concrete. 

And we’ve been over this. It’s never convenient to pay a guy top dollar vs rookie dollars. Never. You guys are acting as if he’s overstepping his boundaries because the cap hit might hurt the team, and that he should just shut up and play like everyone else. That’s not the case. 

Again, not pretending like the possibility of a smaller or stagnant cap has no bearing on a team’s willingness to extend guys. But I’m not going to pretend like teams aren’t just using that, especially in a case like Jamal’s, to just tell him to screw off and play on the deal we want you to play on. Nah, just one of us pretending.

Teams aren't paying guys in year 3 for the most part anyway but now that there are at least questions about certain things adds to the reasons why it isn't feasible. In April no one brought up the cap because we did not know the severity of COVID-19, now? With fans possible not being in attendance or at least limited attendance and you lose a lot of revenue.

He should just shut up and play truthfully, its not his time right now. I'd say the same if Darnold wanted to get paid next year. Year 4 is usually when it happens, he's Elite but selfish. Its not always about Jamal.

16 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Teams aren't paying guys in year 3 for the most part anyway but now that there are at least questions about certain things adds to the reasons why it isn't feasible. In April no one brought up the cap because we did not know the severity of COVID-19, now? With fans possible not being in attendance or at least limited attendance and you lose a lot of revenue.

He should just shut up and play truthfully, its not his time right now. I'd say the same if Darnold wanted to get paid next year. Year 4 is usually when it happens, he's Elite but selfish. Its not always about Jamal.

They were speculating in April, dude. Schefter did himself, among others. Your perception of things is off. The fact that deals aren’t being done doesn’t mean it’s impossible for them to do so. 

And of course you’d say the same on Darnold. Darnold has to prove he’s a long term starter, let alone an elite player. Locking Darnold up after what he’s shown would be crazy.

I get it. You guys are twisted over this. Adams hasn’t been the best either. Just stop pretending like what he’s asking for is outlandish, unwarranted, and unprecedented. 

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

The guy I quoted pretty clearly stated, and I’m loosely paraphrasing, “if you’re not a QB, pass rusher, or corner, you don’t get paid in your third year”. That’s 100% not true. 

How you feel about what Adams has been saying or doing (which is being overdramatized tbh) is your own business. 

....And, I completely agree? Maybe I jumped in late, but I wasn't referencing that specific quote. 

My point being, you can't acknowledge Jamal's contract request while simply ignoring the proceeding trade demand & overall response. Which all things considered has been unprecedented, has it not? 

7 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

My point being, you can't acknowledge Jamal's contract request while simply ignoring the proceeding trade demand & overall response. Which all things considered has been unprecedented, has it not? 

I’m a bit confused. You’re saying the Jets can’t extend him now because of the headlines he’s created and his trade demands? I suppose. It depends on how they handle it. I think, if they wanted to, they could re-build relations with the guy and then pay him. Money heals plenty of wounds. 

In regards to how unprecedented the situation is, that depends too. How specific are you going to go? Are we talking about All-Pro safeties entering their 4th year, drafted in the first round, who want to be paid but also want to be traded? Then sure, unprecedented. 

16 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Money probably isn't the main issue, its losing. Money is just the lever he used to get himself on another team with better near- term prospects
Other than going full AB, a rookie has few options if he really wants out. So he and his agent chose the $$ strategy
The Jets do have some responsibility for showing him there's a vision and path to success.

CB Patrick Peterson was tired of losing in AZ and he wanted out too - but the front office was able to talk to him, show him their vision and convince him to stay in AZ to see the future unfold. For whatever reason, Adams and the Jets front office were unable to have a similar heart-to-heart
Tough spot for the Jets, they don't want a malcontent - but they also can't open the door for others to leave

Man, you always seem to be on point whether it's science related or football related. My man(in my Denzel voice)!

Edited by WizeGuy

On 6/24/2020 at 4:55 AM, canadaluvsdallas said:

So it basically comes down to which league he is in that dictates how people feel about his decision to ask for more money?

Trust me I know very well right now about a player asking more money than he is worth but market value never lies.

Im mostly been pro player so I actually do support the NBA and it's players mentality to play wherever they wish to play because honestly this isnt a dictatorship.

If a player decides he/she current organization is not treating them well they have every right to speak up and demand their requests. Their careers only last given few years and the organizations will continue far and above beyond them.

ALSO why are we fellow Jets fans so quick to dismiss his claims?  @dcat @KingOfTheDot. Aren't you his fans? Yeah I wish to believe the statements Jamal is putting out there. It's fine to NOT believe his statements but if you are not going to fulfill his wishes and hold onto him for spite then that speaks volumes about your organization. He's always been a player that has been honest about his claims and opinions since he entered the NFL draft.

Long list of why the Jets organization does not indeed deserve a player like Jamal Adams. Every day his discontent for the organization continues and everyday it will become a longer issue then it needs to be. You would think the team that has acquired Leveon Bell would know any better to get into a situation like this ala steelers situation.

Wake Up FELLAS. Pandemic is NOT an excuse to ignore contract negotiations. Business and player relations can still be conducted through MANY other mediums.

Many of us on here have not been devoid of our day to day responsibilities because of the pandemic and if anything our responsibilities as an ADULT to our co workers and organizations have only grown endless.

I see very sorry *** excuses and NONE that have been pro player so far. Only builds Adams case.

Sure go tell Jamal Adams to F himself. NOT A GOOD LOOK THOUGH JUST SAYING. He's one of the premium young talents in the league at the secondary position.

Not pleasing your best players on the roster never goes well. We can all sit here and pretend Juju Smith S & James Conner have succeeded Antonio Brown & Le'veon Bell well but that wouldn't be honest would it. They can't hold a candle to how elite AB and LV were together.

Treating your players well goes well above money! Open and clear communication is key! J E T S

2 years left on his rookie contract.  THe deal, if it happens, gets done before the 5th year option, not before the 4th year.  Unless he is a franchise QB.  /end thread.  Jamal is being a baby and doesn't want to wait.  The immense majority of extensions are made entering into the last year of a contract.  Jamal is a year too soon.  When you get an extension a year earlier than the typical, you generally get  a nice home town discount.  Jamal not only wants a new contract a year too early, but he also wants to be paid 40% higher per year than the current highest paid safety in the league.  LOL.   

No.

But of course, it's not even about the money.  That is Adams' pretense.  He's wanted to be a Cowboy from the beginning.  He got angry when Dallas initiated trade tallks last year and it didn't go thru.  He claimed to be angry that Douglas picked up the phone with Dallas, but the reality is he was furious that a deal didn't get done.

The guy is completely full of sht.  Now there's a pathetic effort underway from the Jamal camp to blame it on Gase.  Douglas does all the contracts.  greg Williams is his boss on the defense.  Gase has little to do with him on a daily basis and every time I've observed Gase and Jamal in practices on the sidelines during public events, they are always smiling and laughing together.  Total B.S. from the Adams camp because he looks like an infantile jerk right now.  Bet way to save face from your own stupidity, blame it on the HC that the fans already hate.  Some Jets fans are so dumb, they are going to buy in to each new layer of fabrication that Adams throws on the pile.

18 hours ago, Forge said:

I'd be very surprised if Kittle's extension isn't done before the season starts as well. He's been quiet, but if I were him there's no way in hell I'm playing on his current deal this year. 

Kittle is entering the last year of his contract.  Adams has 2 years left.

Apples vs Oranges.  Bad analogy.  You don't extend a safety, of all things, with 2 years left on his contract.  Just no.  

Edited by dcat