Jets S Jamal Adams demands trade

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, dcat said:

Kittle is entering the last year of his contract.  Adams has 2 years left.

Apples vs Oranges.  Bad analogy.  You don't extend a safety, of all things, with 2 years left on his contract.  Just no.  

It's a fine analogy. They are both studs being underpaid. They both have the same allowances and abilities under the cba. They can sign extensions, hold out, etc. They have both completed three years. 

There is a difference because you are making it one. That is a line in the sand you are drawing. It's is a philosophical belief, not a requirement.  

And it's fine the Jets are doing that. But it also opens them up to criticism, which is also fine. I don't have a problem with them not paying him, especially if they don't trust him, but people are hanging on to this "ZOMG he has 2 years of control left with the option!!!" like it's a damn life preserver and they are afloat in the ocean. It's not a requirement, it's a preference. 

4 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

I haven't seen what Kittle is demanding, but if he doesn't come away with a contract that makes him comfortably the top paid TE in the league then he needs a new agent.

$12m-a-year at the very least. Although, I'd argue he could probably be worth more than that, closer to $14m. He would absolutely get paid if he decided to leave Niners. 

He's going to crush 14.

He can make a legitimate argument he's worth the same as top wide receivers at least. I'd guess he falls short of that, but still ends up in that 17-18 million per year range

58 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’m a bit confused. You’re saying the Jets can’t extend him now because of the headlines he’s created and his trade demands? I suppose. It depends on how they handle it. I think, if they wanted to, they could re-build relations with the guy and then pay him. Money heals plenty of wounds. 

In regards to how unprecedented the situation is, that depends too. How specific are you going to go? Are we talking about All-Pro safeties entering their 4th year, drafted in the first round, who want to be paid but also want to be traded? Then sure, unprecedented. 

I don't think this has anything to do with paying the guy. Jamal is tired of losing & on top of that I'd imagine there are some broken relationships involved. The fact that he's willing to play elsewhere without said contract & is willing to complicate a trade further by going public with a preferred list of Super Bowl favorites speaks to the underlying cause of all this (I.e it's not just about money).

Certainly not cherry picking that specifically, lol. Consider all first round defensive players drafted that could've made a case to cash in after year three: Doesn't matter if they ultimately resigned or not (Point being, they didn't get paid this early).

2013: Ezekiel Ansah, Sheldon Richardson, Xavier Rhodes
2014: Jadeveon Clowney, Khalil Mack, CJ Mosley, Dee Ford, Aaron Donald, Anthony Barr
2015: Dante Fowler, Marcus Peters, Byron Jones, Arik Armstead
2016: Joey Bosa, Jalen Ramsey, DeForest Buckner

I'm sure most of which, both publicly & privately, plead their case for a new deal...And yet, not a single one proceeded to act like Jamal when their team refused. The same can be said of offensive players who couldn't get an extension this early. The response and self victimization in effort to force a trade has been unprecedented for someone this earlier in their career (Again, correct me if I'm wrong, this is off the top of my head)

....(I know Ramsey being the exception here & yet most people mock Jaguars management + I think it was clear he would've stayed had the Jaguars met his price)

FWIW: I'd give Jamal just about anything he's asking for today ($18M is reasonable IMO)...But, I don't think it's that simple.

23 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

2014: Jadeveon Clowney, Khalil Mack, CJ Mosley, Dee Ford, Aaron Donald, Anthony Barr

Just for the sake of additional information / clarity, armstead in no way, shape or form could have made the case to get paid after year three. The team picking up his fifth year option wasn't even a guarantee. If he signed an extension, it was going to be at less than his fourth year + option. 

The Buckner extension after year three was something the niners tried to make happen.  Or at least tried to have discussions about it.  It was actually Buckner who was in no hurry to do a deal at the time according to beat writers like barrows, and so talks fizzled (they never really got close in terms of what each side was thinking either). But the niners appear to have tried to make that happen and were rebuffed, not the other way around. 

It doesn't change your point, just a little insight from the niners end

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just for the sake of additional information / clarity, armstead in no way, shape or form could have made the case to get paid after year three. The team picking up his fifth year option wasn't even a guarantee. If he signed an extension, it was going to be at less than his fourth year + option. 

The Buckner extension after year three was something the niners tried to make happen.  Or at least tried to have discussions about it.  It was actually Buckner who was in no hurry to do a deal at the time according to beat writers like barrows, and so talks fizzled (they never really got close in terms of what each side was thinking either). But the niners appear to have tried to make that happen and were rebuffed, not the other way around. 

It doesn't change your point, just a little insight from the niners end

Appreciate it.

Honestly not trying to go out of my way to defend Jets management, seeing as I understand they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Jamal's been my favorite player since we drafted him, mostly because I think he's an exceptional/generational talent with truly unique versatility that I find to be extremely undervalued relating to the evolution of the game. All things considered, I can't objectively act like his demands are warranted or without a hidden agenda.

6 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Gregg Williams is trying to sweet talk Adams into staying. He knows the type of player he is, and what he brings to that defense. Can't blame him there. I assume people will have mixed feelings on what he said...

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-east/new-york-jets/jets-dc-reacts-to-jamal-adams-trade-request

He said exactly what he should of said. It’s a player under contract.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NJC33 said:

I don't think this has anything to do with paying the guy. Jamal is tired of losing & on top of that I'd imagine there are some broken relationships involved. The fact that he's willing to play elsewhere without said contract & is willing to complicate a trade further by going public with a preferred list of Super Bowl favorites speaks to the underlying cause of all this (I.e it's not just about money).

It’s possible. There’s definitely more to it than just money. But I do think this could still be mended with some TLC and dollars.

Certainly not cherry picking that specifically, lol. Consider all first round defensive players drafted that could've made a case to cash in after year three: Doesn't matter if they ultimately resigned or not (Point being, they didn't get paid this early).

Eh, I’d challenge this list. Clowney, Armstead, Peters, Jones, Ford, and Fowler definitely did not have claims to get fat extensions that quick  - definitely not ceiling breaking dollars like Adams. Bosa, Ramsey, Mack, and Donald are really the only players in that group indisputably in the category (or higher) with Adams. 

I'm sure most of which, both publicly & privately, plead their case for a new deal...And yet, not a single one proceeded to act like Jamal when their team refused. The same can be said of offensive players who couldn't get an extension this early. The response and self victimization in effort to force a trade has been unprecedented for someone this earlier in their career (Again, correct me if I'm wrong, this is off the top of my head)

I’m not defending his behavior (which like I said, I think is being slightly overblown). 

FWIW: I'd give Jamal just about anything he's asking for today ($18M is reasonable IMO)...But, I don't think it's that simple.

Shrug. It may not be that simple anymore. $18M is the price I’d give him too. 

Edited by Yin-Yang

7 hours ago, dcat said:

2 years left on his rookie contract.  THe deal, if it happens, gets done before the 5th year option, not before the 4th year.  Unless he is a franchise QB.  /end thread.

You’re blatantly not reading at this point...

Edited by Yin-Yang

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

sure.  He's not getting extended with 2 years left.  It was foolish for him to expect it.  True colors: It's not entirely about the money.  Stay tuned for the next episode of the Jamal Adams show coming soon to a virtual theater near you: "Blame it all on Gase. Why not?  None of the fans like him anyway. "

25 minutes ago, dcat said:

sure.  He's not getting extended with 2 years left.  It was foolish for him to expect it.  True colors: It's not entirely about the money.  Stay tuned for the next episode of the Jamal Adams show coming soon to a virtual theater near you: "Blame it all on Gase. Why not?  None of the fans like him anyway. "

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Claim: You don’t get paid after Year 3 unless you’re a QB, pass rusher, or CB. 

Verdict: False.

Listen, I’m a NYer so I know how dramatic we are about sports, but you’re making him sound like Antonio Brown.

49 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Claim: You don’t get paid after Year 3 unless you’re a QB, pass rusher, or CB. 

Verdict: False.

Listen, I’m a NYer so I know how dramatic we are about sports, but you’re making him sound like Antonio Brown.

Claim: You don't get extended on a 5 yr contract after year 3 if you are a strong safety. 

Verdict: True

Jamal is a drama queen who is making his play to be a Cowboy. He has said so on social media where he otherwise can't shut up. He promised to tell us the real story then had Cromartie posts veiled blame at Gase.  Gase is not involved in contracts and Williams is the sole authority over the defense.  He is so full of sht he is choking on it.

Hey...  I hope he becomes a Cowboy.  Because of all teams, that's the one who'll be held to the highest price if JD plays it right.

Edited by dcat

21 minutes ago, dcat said:

Claim: You don't get extended on a 5 yr contract after year 3 if you are a strong safety. 

Verdict: True

So to clarify, you are changing your original incorrect statements?

Edited by Yin-Yang

9 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Still can't believe people think we should pay him right now. No one is paying anyone right now but the Jets should just throw some money around because...

I dont care if the Jets trade him to us for Kai Forbath,  I dont want to give a safety $20 mil per year.  I would've kept Byron Jones for that much, and I did not want to re-sign him at that price.

Edited by SweetFancyMoses
  • Like 1