Jets S Jamal Adams demands trade

RaidersAreOne

46 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Cross the Ravens off of that list...a trade for Adams would almost assuredly mean being unable to extend one of Ronnie Stanley or Marlon Humphrey...and an All Pro LT and All Pro CB both trump an All Pro Safety IMO

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Cross the Ravens off of that list...a trade for Adams would almost assuredly mean being unable to extend one of Ronnie Stanley or Marlon Humphrey...and an All Pro LT and All Pro CB both trump an All Pro Safety IMO

Eagles defense values safety more than corner.

I know Jets fans aren't gonna like my offer, but I give a 1st and 3rd, maybe a mid tier young player thrown in.

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Yea, don't know why we get connected to him so much. The Ravens are currently spending 28.68% of their cap on the secondary. That's more than they are spending on the offensive line and defensive line combined. And that's with Marlon Humphrey at a 3.77M figure. So, um... yea, that money doesn't exist.

src: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/positional/

Edit: actually it's over 31% with the dead cap charges for Tony Jefferson, Brandon Carr and Justin Bethel. 

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

I know Jets fans aren't gonna like my offer, but I give a 1st and 3rd, maybe a mid tier young player thrown in.

That’s a good deal and even a potential overpay, depending on how willing Mal is to miss games.

44 minutes ago, Danger said:

To be fair, I think that is what his price is going to be around (except for maybe the Cowboys) 

3 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Jamal's agenda is finally public! Not buying the narrative that Douglas & co have essentially ghosted him, rather he simply doesn't want to be Jet. Will be very interesting to see how this plays out given our control & previously expressed desire to keep him.

It is mid pandemic and nobody knows what will happen to the 2021 salary cap due to unsure 2020 revenue.  No team in it's right mind is going to extend a SS who has not one, but TWO years left on his contract.  Sorry... Adams has always been about Adams and now he shows the true colors.  People, people, people,   narcissists can not be leaders and Jamal is no leader.  2 INts in 3 years, yet some Jets fans think he is great in coverage.  He's not.  He's a strong safety who is a nice blitzer and he plays like a linebacker.  

He was drafted in the same class with Mahomes.  Why isn't Mahomes crying like a baby right now over his contract? Jamal is a little beetch.

Edited by dcat

Physically, he's a 6'1"-215lb guy who runs a 4.56. Nothing special about that from an NFL perspective. This is a big part of the "positional value," discussion. Jamal Adams plays SS because that's the best he can do on an NFL field athletically. It would be SS or RB, and you can bet his RB dad told him that safeties have less painful, longer careers. 

But that level athlete is not the guy you give your $15M+/year contracts to, especially if you have him under control for the next three years for under $25M in total dollars. Those premium contracts are for the absolute cream of the crop. Your QB, obviously. Your true, 6'4", 220lb, sub-4.4 guy who can catch; the 6'5"-260lb sub 4.7 guy who gets you 12 sacks a year. Special players.

Jamal Adams is not special. What makes him, "great," is the mental aspect of his game. His preparation, his instincts. They're great. But bottom line, you can replace him with a better athlete, coach that athlete up, and get 90% of what Jamal Adams brings to the field on any given play. For a fraction of the price. Positional value. You just don't pay a box safety like that. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dcat said:

you realize that Connor hughes is the only Jets beat reporter who has a brain?  The others tend to fabricate and copy from each other.

the simple fact that they haven't even made him an offer yet is really telling. It'd be one thing if the team was actively trying to do right by Jamal but they're not even making the attempt.

13 minutes ago, Danger said:

the simple fact that they haven't even made him an offer yet is really telling. It'd be one thing if the team was actively trying to do right by Jamal but they're not even making the attempt.

He has 2 years left on his rookie contract (2020 is the 4th and 2021 is the 5th year option.)  Count the teams that have given their 1st rounder a new contract at this stage.  It is rare, specially for a Strong Safety, one of the least valuable contractual positions in the NFL.  Add to that the the league has no idea what the salary cap situation will be for 2021 due to an unpredictable net revenue forecast due to Covid-19.    Sorry...  Jamal is being a selfish, narcissistic (as usual) and just a little b-tch.  Why aren't other 2017 1st round picks (MAHOMES... cough cough)  having little temper tantrums like Jamal?    

The Jets have Jamal for 2 more years and there is little he can do about it except cry, moan, use social media to enrage the fans (who have blindly defended this guy).  No reason to use Franchise Tag on a safety, but, assuming no trade, let him become a UFA after 5th year option and some team will pay him a boatload and Jets at least get a 3rd or 4th rd comp pick.  

Edited by dcat
  • Like 3