Jets S Jamal Adams demands trade

RaidersAreOne

9 minutes ago, dcat said:

He has 2 years left on his rookie contract (2020 is the 4th and 2021 is the 5th year option.)  Count the teams that have given their 1st rounder a new contract at this stage.  It is rare, specially for a Strong Safety, one of the least valuable contractual positions in the NFL.  Add to that the the league has no idea what the salary cap situation will be for 2021 due to an unpredictable net revenue forecast due to Covid-19.    Sorry...  Jamal is being a selfish, narcissistic (as usual) and just a little b-tch.  Why aren't other 2017 1st round picks (MAHOMES... cough cough)  having little temper tantrums like Jamal?    

The Jets have Jamal for 2 more years and there is little he can do about it except cry, moan, use social media to enrage the fans (who have blindly defended this guy).  No reason to use Franchise Tag on a safety, but, assuming no trade, let him become a UFA after 5th year option and some team will pay him a boatload and Jets at least get a 3rd or 4th rd comp pick.  

How many players are a 2 time All-Pro in their first 3 seasons? Pay the guy his dues. This is exactly how you end up in bad faith with not just one player but many. Next thing you know, you're the Jaguars.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, dcat said:

It is mid pandemic and nobody knows what will happen to the 2021 salary cap due to unsure 2020 revenue.  No team in it's right mind is going to extend a SS who has not one, but TWO years left on his contract.  Sorry... Adams has always been about Adams and now he shows the true colors.  People, people, people,   narcissists can not be leaders and Jamal is no leader.  2 INts in 3 years, yet some Jets fans think he is great in coverage.  He's not.  He's a strong safety who is a nice blitzer and he plays like a linebacker.  

He was drafted in the same class with Mahomes.  Why isn't Mahomes crying like a baby right now over his contract? Jamal is a little beetch.

Never defended Adam's stance on this (Quite the opposite). He doesn't get INTs so now he isn't great in coverage? Gotcha. Say what you want about his character but your argument looses credibility with nonsense like that. Literally any single metric, grading platform or actual individual who's taken the time to breakdown his film will tell you that's ridiculous. I mean, seriously, prove me wrong?

Interceptions should not be used to determine someone’s ability in coverage. So many bum safeties have had high interception totals. Jamal Adams is a beast, but isn’t usually asked to cover a ton of space to get those INTs. I hate INTs as a marker for how good someone is.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Danger said:

the simple fact that they haven't even made him an offer yet is really telling. It'd be one thing if the team was actively trying to do right by Jamal but they're not even making the attempt.

It's never been about the contract & I think that's pretty obvious considering he's willing to play for another team without an extension. In fact, Douglas has made it blatantly clear his intention is to pay Jamal, but there's two legitimate reasons it hasn't happened: 1) The last defensive first rounder to receive an extension after just three season was Kuechly in 2015 (Per OTC). Why all of sudden Jamal feels victimized is laughable when you consider the normalcy of these contracts. 2) Being in the midst of a pandemic, there's a ton of uncertainty surrounding the cap next season & it's been rumored Douglas' hands were tied this offseason financially.

If you've seen my posts, you'd know I advocate on behalf of his talent more than anyone lol. Would love to keep him, but the reality is, Jamal has a different agenda. This narrative he's trying to create to save face is a complete joke (From what I've gathered). 

50 minutes ago, dcat said:

He has 2 years left on his rookie contract (2020 is the 4th and 2021 is the 5th year option.)  Count the teams that have given their 1st rounder a new contract at this stage.  It is rare, specially for a Strong Safety, one of the least valuable contractual positions in the NFL.  Add to that the the league has no idea what the salary cap situation will be for 2021 due to an unpredictable net revenue forecast due to Covid-19.    Sorry...  Jamal is being a selfish, narcissistic (as usual) and just a little b-tch.  Why aren't other 2017 1st round picks (MAHOMES... cough cough)  having little temper tantrums like Jamal?    

The Jets have Jamal for 2 more years and there is little he can do about it except cry, moan, use social media to enrage the fans (who have blindly defended this guy).  No reason to use Franchise Tag on a safety, but, assuming no trade, let him become a UFA after 5th year option and some team will pay him a boatload and Jets at least get a 3rd or 4th rd comp pick.  

I have no opinion on this situation but comparing the job security of a safety, even if he's amazing, to probably the best player in the nfl isn't the greatest comparison. Mahomes doesn't need to "throw a tantrum", no team is going to let him go without a massive contract.

1 hour ago, dcat said:

Physically, he's a 6'1"-215lb guy who runs a 4.56. Nothing special about that from an NFL perspective. This is a big part of the "positional value," discussion. Jamal Adams plays SS because that's the best he can do on an NFL field athletically. It would be SS or RB, and you can bet his RB dad told him that safeties have less painful, longer careers. 

But that level athlete is not the guy you give your $15M+/year contracts to, especially if you have him under control for the next three years for under $25M in total dollars. Those premium contracts are for the absolute cream of the crop. Your QB, obviously. Your true, 6'4", 220lb, sub-4.4 guy who can catch; the 6'5"-260lb sub 4.7 guy who gets you 12 sacks a year. Special players.

Jamal Adams is not special. What makes him, "great," is the mental aspect of his game. His preparation, his instincts. They're great. But bottom line, you can replace him with a better athlete, coach that athlete up, and get 90% of what Jamal Adams brings to the field on any given play. For a fraction of the price. Positional value. You just don't pay a box safety like that. 

I'm going to be honest, this entire chunk of text just comes across as bitter. Adams is absolutely special. He's a great S, in a league that has honestly lacked for talent at that position since the greats from the 2000s retired (Berry and Thomas were supposed to take their places, but neither quite had the staying power of Dawkins/Polamalu/Reed.) Saying he's not special because his greatness stems from the mental side of the game is incredibly foolish. You could say the same for Richard Sherman. Peyton Manning. Michael Thomas is probably the league's best WR with a very similar athletic profile as Adams, on paper. Zach Ertz ran a 4.76 40. This idea that you could find a better athlete and just "coach that athlete up" is absolutely wrong. If it was that simple, the league would be full of guys performing on Adams's level, and it's not. It's funny, because you even list his instincts as part of what makes him great, while also saying you could just coach a better athlete to do what he does. Do you know what the word instincts means?

I can certainly understand the idea of not wanting to pay him premier money. He's asking for money no safety has really gotten before. But stop downplaying how great he has been just because he now doesn't want to be a Jet. This is the kind of stuff that happens every offseason on here, where fans start to downplay the quality of the players that are leaving or have left their team. Jamal Adams can be a special player, and still annoy you for loudly trying to leave the team. Those things can coexist.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, Daimonas said:

I have no opinion on this situation but comparing the job security of a safety, even if he's amazing, to probably the best player in the nfl isn't the greatest comparison. Mahomes doesn't need to "throw a tantrum", no team is going to let him go without a massive contract.

The Chiefs have also been pretty vocal, publicly and privately, about when they'll be working on a deal with Mahomes, how long it will take, etc. Adams seems to suggest that hasn't really been the case with the Jets.

57 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

A Thornhill, Adams and Mathieu trio*

Basically just throw Juan back in deep centerfield and let the other two make plays underneath.

As much as I’d love this, we don’t have the cap space for it. I’d prefer we keep Jones if it came down to the two. But adding Adams would allows us to use Mathieu in even more ways. 

49 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I'm going to be honest, this entire chunk of text just comes across as bitter. Adams is absolutely special. He's a great S, in a league that has honestly lacked for talent at that position since the greats from the 2000s retired (Berry and Thomas were supposed to take their places, but neither quite had the staying power of Dawkins/Polamalu/Reed.) Saying he's not special because his greatness stems from the mental side of the game is incredibly foolish. You could say the same for Richard Sherman. Peyton Manning. Michael Thomas is probably the league's best WR with a very similar athletic profile as Adams, on paper. Zach Ertz ran a 4.76 40. This idea that you could find a better athlete and just "coach that athlete up" is absolutely wrong. If it was that simple, the league would be full of guys performing on Adams's level, and it's not. It's funny, because you even list his instincts as part of what makes him great, while also saying you could just coach a better athlete to do what he does. Do you know what the word instincts means?

I can certainly understand the idea of not wanting to pay him premier money. He's asking for money no safety has really gotten before. But stop downplaying how great he has been just because he now doesn't want to be a Jet. This is the kind of stuff that happens every offseason on here, where fans start to downplay the quality of the players that are leaving or have left their team. Jamal Adams can be a special player, and still annoy you for loudly trying to leave the team. Those things can coexist.

Thanks for saving me the time and effort of writing this myself.

”Just coach someone up,” like we can assign points to them every week of practice like Madden until Johnny 4th round pick is a 99 overall.