You Get One Move

Sugashane

Hypothetical here. You get to be the GM for one move in the 2020 offseason for free agency and one for the draft. What do you?

Has to be at least somewhat plausible, so no trading a scrub or single pick for Mahomes or just drafting Lawrence 1st overall without a major draft capital. If you want to go for a 2021 FA then all are on the table, but remember if you're going for Prescott you're going to pay a massive deal. If you go for Henry you're going to have a benchmark contract for that position as well, same for an OT like Stanley, etc. 

Mine - 

Draft : I trade up for Lawrence 1st overall - I mirror the Goff trade with two first-round picks, two second-rounders, and two third-round selections. 

- He is the total package and if I'm going to mortgage my future on a QB, he is the one I'm going to go for. He walks in and is instantly the best QB the Bears have and Foles doesn't stand a chance of holding him off. If Nagy can't produce with him then he and Pace deserve to be fired, and with Lawrence on his rookie deal and a top defense Chicago becomes the undisputed top choice for coach and GM landing spots. ARob and Miller get to thrive, Montgomery gets his chance to prove he is a true number one back. The draft capital lost hurts like hell but having him and a cheap vet backing him up make the overall cap situation MUCH more team friendly. So after ridding ourselves of Graham as a band aid (+$7 mil), Leno (+$6.2) and Massie's (+$6.7)deals, extending Fuller to a reasonable deal, and potentially with Foles opting out as he sees a trade for the top pick (+$9.3 mil) there is plenty of cap space to make a move for one solid OT at least in FA, very plausibly to make a move for two to hold the fort down as Lawrence develops. 

That being said there is a bust factor for every player, Lawrence being no exception. I could see the benefit of going after a vet QB since Chicago has virtually no history of developing QBs. Draft Fields is still a high upside move that should be (at least slightly) less expensive to move up for. 

What move do you make?

Option 1) like you said, mortgage the future for Lawrence or Fields... Whoever the staff picks because things change so much year to year. Go get the best LT in fa. If the receiving corps doesn't show, try and get another #2/3... Hopefully Kmet can prove SOMETHING. Defense I'd just shore up the depth.

Option 2) Roll with whoever shows up this year in the QB competition. If nobody impresses, go get a stopgap qb or trade for a guy. Get the best OL possible in FA/draft. Get the QB the best possible weapons and overload the O while basically forgetting the d.

What if Foles takes them to the Super Bowl? You still shelling out for Lawrence/Fields?

I find it weird that the bulk of Bears fandom has bought into the media huckstering that the team sucks--which is simply because of Trubisky.

It's crazy. 

Edited by Heinz D.

9 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

What if Foles takes them to the Super Bowl? You still shelling out for Lawrence/Fields?

I find it weird that the bulk of Bears fandom has bought into the media huckstering that the team sucks--which is simply because of Trubisky.

It's crazy. 

I think the assumption is they finish middle of the pack or worse, judging by his post

Going from 32 to 1 is impossible

• Like 2

I think unfortunately when you get a prospect like Lawrence he usually gets taken not traded.   Only time top ‘sure thing’ guys get traded is if they force a trade by saying they won’t play for a team and that doesn’t always work.   I think only Eli Manning and Elway pulled that off and Elway could have played baseball so he had leverage.   I don’t remember why SD caved to Manning, but E. Manning wasn’t Elway or Luck. 

Lawerence is going to be thought of and hyped like Luck was.  

P. Manning was hurt and his future was questionable, but Indy may have still wanted Luck regardless because he was long term play.  

I think first you have to get through Covid responses and political unrest.  2020 still could be really weird to come, will be weird, only question is how weird or how extreme things get.

College football may be effected too.  That would effect draft considerations and so on.  But Lawerence may have gone 1 this year, so it isn’t going to effect him.

In any event if you want Lawerence you will likely have to earn the number 1 pick by losing a lot.  

I would have traded multiple first rounders and what not for Burrow this year, I think so would other people.

He wasn’t for sale and I think he won’t get half hype that Lawerence is going to get.   

Edited by dll2000

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

@dll2000 is right. I'd definitely trade up to 1 for Lawrence should the QB spot be an issue again, but he's going to be thought of so highly that I doubt a team will trade out of that spot.

I'd move up to 5 for Fields though.

That might be a possibility. 

I think after Mack trade our lack of young talent in pipeline would start to become a real issue.  Still another massive trade and we could become like an expansion team shortly.  A good young QB yes, but a terrible team around him.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

That might be a possibility. 

I think after Mack trade our lack of young talent in pipeline would start to become a real issue.  Still another massive trade and we could become like an expansion team shortly.  A good young QB yes, but a terrible team around him.

Look at Wilson in Seattle. The only real talent he had for the first few years was Lynch. Anything to get a good QB is worth it, even if it doesn't work out... at least you tried.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

What do you think of the consolation prize QBs that will likely land near the Bears pick. Trey Lance any good?

Heard mixed things. Who knows what accurate or not... People saying he's the best of the class, just hidden talent. Others saying he's all hype. Not worth listening to until the year plays out.

25 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

What do you think of the consolation prize QBs that will likely land near the Bears pick. Trey Lance any good?

He was really good last year. It remains to be seen if he can do it again & with more film if D's can adjust to him.

As of now, I'd say he would be a nice consolation.

• Like 1

My one move would be to draft or sign(a young one) OFFENSIVE TACKLE. Not that either of them are terrible, but the combination Leno/Massie might be the WORST pair of bookends in the league. If we just swap out 1 of them the OL goes from average to pretty much elite.

As for the QB discussion, I really have to kind of see the season, like someone else said so much changes in a year. Also like another person said again, there is no way the Lawrence or Fields pick will be for sale.....especially if we are picking in the 15-20 range. Jags, Colts, or Broncos will have higher picks than us.