What would you trade for Adams?

dll2000

Just now, Duluther said:

Not much could be funnier than @Matts4313 earnestly quoting a random twitter account named “Dak”.

It was the one posted in the Cowboys forum. And I am lazy. But I have seen it posted by multiple people on here and reddit. Apparently the news broke by Mike Fisher. 

8 hours ago, M.10.E said:

It wont change. Siding with management usually means it's for the better of the team. The team will be around a lot longer than any individual player.

My point being when management look out for their best interests, there’s no issue. When the player does the same it is met with resentment. It’s a business, we have long known that so why is it an issue?

17 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

My point being when management look out for their best interests, there’s no issue. When the player does the same it is met with resentment. It’s a business, we have long known that so why is it an issue?

Because the player holding out usually hurts the team, which the fan cares about the most. Not saying it's right or not.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t trade for Jamal Adams even though he’s the next big thing at safety. Good teams build through the draft, not trading away capital and then paying top dollar.

With a 1st and 3rd he likely demands you could luck out and get a comparable player and another contributor, and both would be on cheap rookie deals.

as well a safety is a luxury position to be paying out the wazoo.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 1:04 AM, KingOfTheDot said:

Maybe they said the Cowboys were willing to pay him X amount but no meeting/dialogue took place between Cowboys/Adams. Especially mid season.

Also because it's called tampering.  The only one Dallas could negotiate with is Joe Douglas, not Adams.  Unless Douglas gave Jerry jones permission to discuss numbers with Adams.  Mid season....?  I doubt highly there were any such discussions.  But it doesn't really matter.  Adams threw a tantrum when the deal didn't happen.  Pointed finfgers at the Jets, particularly Joe Douglas, at how he was disrespected because Joe Douglas answered a call from Jerry Jones.  In reality, as we can now see, the tantrum was because the trade didn't happen.   He's not handling the situation very well.  He has no leverage.  His agent I guess told him to use the only weapon he has: Social Media: mission to enrage the Jets fans, management, coaches and fellow players.  So far he has checked every one of those boxes.

wait... hear that silence?  .......................................................................................................................................................................    the sound of Joe Douglas responding to Adams.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Zopound said:

In no world would I pay Adams $5+M more than Eddie Jackson like he wants. That’s the problem here. He’s easily worth a mid-late 1st and change but with his unreasonable contract demands it’s hard to say. 

I always find these trade valuations a bit bizarre.

The value of picks is based on your hope of getting young ascending talent at very cheap contracts. Adams may or may not be worth what he wants money wise but regardless you aren't getting any value whatsoever from the draft picks you are trading away if you paying him top of market prices. 

There was talk of it on the Packers board. Yes maybe he is better than the player you draft with a 1st and 3rd. But with the money you pay him, you probably aren't signing Kenny Clark. So we basically give up Kenny Clark, a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick which is clearly bonkers.

Its no knock on the player at all but I don't see why anyone would give up more than say a 6th or 7th. They are throwaway picks so if you really want to pay him what he wants then it buys you priority. 

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

I always find these trade valuations a bit bizarre.

The value of picks is based on your hope of getting young ascending talent at very cheap contracts. Adams may or may not be worth what he wants money wise but regardless you aren't getting any value whatsoever from the draft picks you are trading away if you paying him top of market prices. 

There was talk of it on the Packers board. Yes maybe he is better than the player you draft with a 1st and 3rd. But with the money you pay him, you probably aren't signing Kenny Clark. So we basically give up Kenny Clark, a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick which is clearly bonkers.

Its no knock on the player at all but I don't see why anyone would give up more than say a 6th or 7th. They are throwaway picks so if you really want to pay him what he wants then it buys you priority. 

But the caveat that makes him worth additional value is the first part of your statement, Young ascending talent. You’re not getting him at a “cheap contract” Which is the quandary of his actual value. But in the draft you have probably (Just conjecture) a 5-10% chance of landing an All Pro talent in the first round. With Adams you suddenly increase those chances up to 100%; that surety over the quality of talent you’re receiving is certainly worth additional compensation.

Like you, I definitely don’t subscribe to that additional compensation reaching up to a 1st round pick because of the contract you will also have to provide and the hit rate on a first round safety being something like 40-50%... of which I’d rather bank on my teams drafting ability than to overpay twice (for the contract and for the trade value). But if we drop down to the late second round those hit rates begin to drop to a level where I would consider it; but if were only talking a third round pick and I definitely think I’ll take a 100% all pro over a 15% hit rate in finding a productive player.