2020 Packers Linebackers

Shanedorf

Next up in the offseason series is a look at the LB Corps for the 2020 Packers

Coaching these dudes are 2 veteran NFL assistants, Kirk Olivadotti for the ILBs and Mike Smith for the OLBs

ehb1d6xl0pyko0bna2rl.jpg

Olivadotti is entering his 18th season as a coach in the NFL

For the OLBs, they have Mike I couldn't be bothered to shave for the picture Smith

uvbcofzp5jbp7vdbrurk.jpg

ILB Room

Christian Kirksey
Oren Burks
Ty Summers
Curtis Bolton
Kamal Martin
Krys Barnes

OLB Room

Za'Darius Smith
Preston Smith
Rashan Gary

Tim Williams
Greg Roberts
Randy Ramsey
Jonathan Garvin
Delontae Scott
Tipa Galeai

A little fluffery on Tim Williams, one of several guys vying for snaps as OLB 4

https://packerstalk.com/2020/06/19/tim-williams-looking-forward-to-a-fresh-start-with-packers-2/?

Despite the slow start to Williams’ career, Z Smith has expressed excitement that Green Bay had signed his former Baltimore Ravens teammate. He called it a fresh start for Williams and promised to take him under his wing, something he has always tried to do with younger players..

It only took one day and one practice for the Green Bay Packers to get a taste of the natural talent and athletic ability that helped make Tim Williams a third-round pick. Coach Matt LaFleur and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine could both see the “juice” in their new outside linebacker, who was officially claimed off of waivers from the Baltimore Ravens on Thursday.

“What I saw today, obviously a really good athlete. He’s explosive,” LaFleur said. “He was a really good pass rusher coming out of Alabama. Just a really good talent. ‘Z’ was with him in Baltimore, so we have some familarity in that regard.”

wbflsst5pajph3gih5zo

ILB Kirksey in a packers jersey, courtesy of photoshoppers

th?id=OIP.g7Ty5hDiz0nCInMFfr6STAHaEK%26p

Joe Thomas on Kirksey via PackersWire

“The respect that I have for Kirko goes beyond just what he is as a player. And I think he’s a fantastic player,” Thomas said. “He’s not your biggest linebacker, but he’s one of the biggest hitters I’ve ever been around. He’s so bright. He’s so smart. He was always the quarterback of that defense. He’s played for Mike Pettine in that defense before, so he’s got incredible familiarity, and I think that was a big reason why they were excited to sign him because they know he’s going to be a great fit.”

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/20/joe-thomas-believes-packers-got-a-real-steal-in-lb-christian-kirksey/

“Going through those tough seasons, one win in two years, he was still the guy that was putting in max effort. He was putting in extra time after practice getting guys ready. He was motivated guys on the practice field during times when it would have been really easy to just mail it in,” Thomas said. “He was still going above and beyond. The energy he brought to practices and games was infectious. And it kept that team together in a situation when most teams would have fractured. The Packers should feel extremely lucky.”

Edited by Shanedorf

21 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

OLB Room

Za'Darius Smith
Preston Smith
Rashan Gary

Tim Williams
Greg Roberts
Randy Ramsey
Jonathan Garvin
Delontae Scott
Tipa Galeai

I've tended to view the OLB group as Big-3 and then some fringe guys who may or may not belong on the fringe of the league. 

But in Pettine's press conference a couple weeks back, he had a different perspective, and talked very positively about the **depth** and talent of the OLB group, talking as if it's the deepest and most talented OLB group he's ever had.  The big 3, for sure... but really the depth guys?  Interesting.  

The guy he specifically mentioned was Williams, and said he's looked good in practice as the season had progressed.   Not sure how many snaps there will be for the 4th guy, but it would be kinda fun if Williams was to emerge as a good player.  

I've kinda gotten the impression that he may not have been the smartest or most professional personality?  I know he didn't play a lot or produce much for the Ravens before they released him.  But I've kinda wondered how much they released him strictly for football talent reasons?  Or if perhaps he'd had some attitude/behavioral issues, and as a no-nonsense organization they just said forget it and released him?  

Anyway, hoping for his sake that he can settle in with the Packers and get the very best out of whatever football ability he's got.  HOpefully if the big three stay healthy, there won't be many snaps for #4.  But injuries can change that; Pettine said he wants to reduce snaps for Z and Preston; and if Z and/or Gary are getting a lot of snaps inside, maybe there will be more than we expect for the 4th guy, *IF* the 4th guy looks worthy?  Maybe there is some opportunity for Williams, *IF* he can earn some snaps?  

2 hours ago, craig said:

The guy he specifically mentioned was Williams, and said he's looked good in practice as the season had progressed.   Not sure how many snaps there will be for the 4th guy, but it would be kinda fun if Williams was to emerge as a good player.  

Last season per Football Outsiders: (defensive snaps only)

Zadarius Smith: 883

Preston Smith: 880

Kyler Fackrell:  422

Rashan Gary:  245

Assuming both Smiths will be taking a few more plays off, and that Gary will get more snaps, there still is enough to have a pretty decent amount of PT for a fourth. If we were to give both Smiths 800, and Gary 600, and play the same amount of defensive snaps, there are 230 defensive snaps left for a 4th.

26 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If we were to give both Smiths 800, and Gary 600, and play the same amount of defensive snaps, there are 230 defensive snaps left for a 4th.

You probably want the Smiths in the 670- 700 range to keep them fresh. It might not work out, but 800 is definitely on the high side.
And because both Gary and Z will get some action at 3-tech in pressure situations, there's even more OLB snaps up for grabs

15 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Last season per Football Outsiders: (defensive snaps only)

Zadarius Smith: 883    Preston Smith: 880 .   Kyler Fackrell:  422 .   Rashan Gary:  245

Assuming both Smiths will be taking a few more plays off, and that Gary will get more snaps, there still is enough to have a pretty decent amount of PT for a fourth. If we were to give both Smiths 800, and Gary 600, and play the same amount of defensive snaps, there are 230 defensive snaps left for a 4th.

Yes.  I admit I'd like Gary to improve enough to be worth full-time snaps.  If the big 3 got 800 each, that might not  leave many more.  But obviously Gary's got a lot of improving to do to be worth 800 or 600 snaps.  :):) . And we can't assume zero injuries.  So yeah, having a couple hundred snaps available seems likely.

I also think the composite snaps might increase?  DL was bad and they didn't invest in bettering it, plus Pettine has noted that Clark was overworked and maybe Lowry too.  He also noted that analysis was positive for snaps in which they used Z inside, and that he thinks Gary might fit there, too.  So, it wouldn't surprise me if an extra couple hundred snaps that were last year taken by d-linemen might shift to the OLB?  

Fortunately, those kinds of assignments can depend on player quality.  In a sense, probably Williams is kind of competing not only with Gary but also with Keke, Adams, Lowry, and Hester for some discretionary snaps.  

5 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

You probably want the Smiths in the 670- 700 range to keep them fresh. It might not work out, but 800 is definitely on the high side.
And because both Gary and Z will get some action at 3-tech in pressure situations, there's even more OLB snaps up for grabs

I just dropped them both to a lower number.  I wasn't going for any specific number, just lowering what they did last year.  Probably should have gotten both Gary and Fackrell more snaps last season.  I just hope that Gary improves enough to offset the difference in talent between Fackrell and whichever guy is #4 this season.  

I'm itching to see Galeai in camp. If he's 20-25 lbs. heavier, he would've been drafted. The explosion is off-the-charts. Hope he gets moved around the front-7 a bit, maybe slips inside a la CMIII from 2014...

57 minutes ago, Joe said:

I'm itching to see Galeai in camp. If he's 20-25 lbs. heavier, he would've been drafted. The explosion is off-the-charts. Hope he gets moved around the front-7 a bit, maybe slips inside a la CMIII from 2014...

I'm hoping for a Stormin' Mormon like Fackrell in 2018.