2020 Packers Linebackers

Shanedorf

2 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

This guys been quietly on the roster. A 3rd round pick by Baltimore a couple years ago... I remember there were plenty of guys on this board who were excited about this guy. His highlights are pretty fun to watch. 

This guy is 26 years old now .. about time he shows something or gets a new line of work. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 8:03 PM, ReadyToThump said:

This guys been quietly on the roster. A 3rd round pick by Baltimore a couple years ago... I remember there were plenty of guys on this board who were excited about this guy. His highlights are pretty fun to watch. 

I loved him coming out...the player, not the person.

And...despite me saying that, he was a one trick pony back then.  Pure edge speed rush.  And that isn't a bad trick to have if he's your last EDGE player.  I hope he's got his head on right, because it would be great to see that kind of quickness off of the line.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I loved him coming out...the player, not the person.

And...despite me saying that, he was a one trick pony back then.  Pure edge speed rush.  And that isn't a bad trick to have if he's your last EDGE player.  I hope he's got his head on right, because it would be great to see that kind of quickness off of the line.

As Ghost mentioned, Williams is rather old to be viewed as a developmental prospect.  He's one of the older guys on the roster.  He's 26, turns 27 mid-season.  On the 90-man roster, the Packers only have 15 guys who are 27 or older.  So Williams is definitely within the oldest quartile of Packers.  

*IF* he's ever going to prove he deserves some regular package snaps in the NFL, this would probably be the year for that.  

From The Athletic and Shel Kapedia

Za’Darius Smith was one of the best pass rushers in the NFL last year. He finished eighth among edge rushers in pass-rush win rate, but that number is especially impressive considering how often he was double teamed.

Preston Smith ranked 10th in pass-rush win rate. The pair combined for 25.5 sacks and 60 quarterback hits. Kenny Clark was very good at defensive tackle. And if the Packers can get contributions from Gary, they could have one of the best pass rushes in the NFL.

Because the pass rush was so good, Pettine did not have to blitz a lot.
The Packers sent five or more rushers just 23.6 percent of the time, which ranked 27th in frequency.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

From The Athletic and Shel Kapedia

Za’Darius Smith was one of the best pass rushers in the NFL last year. He finished eighth among edge rushers in pass-rush win rate, but that number is especially impressive considering how often he was double teamed.

Preston Smith ranked 10th in pass-rush win rate. The pair combined for 25.5 sacks and 60 quarterback hits. Kenny Clark was very good at defensive tackle. And if the Packers can get contributions from Gary, they could have one of the best pass rushes in the NFL.

Because the pass rush was so good, Pettine did not have to blitz a lot.
The Packers sent five or more rushers just 23.6 percent of the time, which ranked 27th in frequency.

This makes me feel like our defense should be much better than it looked. We have 3 very very good players in Smith, Smith and Clark up front. 

Reading this makes me sour on Pettine even more :(

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

This makes me feel like our defense should be much better than it looked. We have 3 very very good players in Smith, Smith and Clark up front. 

Reading this makes me sour on Pettine even more :(

Because Pettine sucks.

• Like 1

I know this is about LBs, but with all this talk about great edge pressures, I'd like to give a shout out to Kenny Clark's as the reason QBs can't simply step up to avoid the great edge rushers.

What I thought I saw of Tim Williams, he has absolutely amazing quickness, honestly reminded me of Adams getting off the line a bit, as he was getting started with a move, but the problem has been, if an OT can get his hands on him, he's done.

And while I'd like to have hope for Williams, I don't exactly have high opinions of our OTs last year out side Bak, Bulaga and Veldeer. So did Williams get those guys, or just flashing against the guys that shouldn't be in the field?

One UDFA that I've thought has really gone unnoticed is Delontae Scott, who played 3-4 DE in college, so he's raw and not ready, but hopefully keep him on the PS, as I thought that when he got further away from the middle, he showed a ton of potential, and a 3-4 potential could be perfect for him, long and athletic. 

A couple of other young guns vying for play time and roster spots

From Packers Wire

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/06/30/packers-have-stockpile-of-young-edge-rushers-vying-to-replace-kyler-fackrell/

The Green Bay Packers have at least six young players who will compete to replace backup edge rusher Kyler Fackrell, who departed in free agency.
Tim Williams, Randy Ramsey and Greg Roberts and rookies Jonathan Garvin, Delontae Scott and Tipa Galeai should all get opportunities to win the job as the team’s fourth outside linebacker.
The Packers also reportedly claimed outside linebacker Jamal Davis off of waivers from the Miami Dolphins in April, but he likely hasn’t had an opportunity to pass a physical and isn’t listed on the team’s roster.

They're facing an uphill climb with a limited offseason and limited time in TC

gettyimages-1171014072.jpg?w=1000&h=600&