2020 Packers Linebackers

Shanedorf

On 6/20/2020 at 4:00 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Zadarius Smith should be rushing from the 3 Tech on every 2nd down longer than 7 yards and every 3rd down longer than 3 yards. 

Against pass heavy teams can we just use an a heavy OLB (Zadarius/Gary) in the 3 Tech for the entire game?

I'm interested if it'd work, also if it would, then consider signing edge rusher Clowney too to add to the group, and play it early and often (yes, I know, not realistic).

• 3 weeks later...

from PackersWire

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/17/packers-olb-zadarius-smith-tops-farrars-rankings-of-nfls-best-edge-rushers/

Packers OLB Za'Darius Smith tops Farrar's rankings of NFL's best edge rushers

From Farrar: “Smith led the NFL with 105 total pressures, the most by any edge defender since Von Miller matched that total in 2015, and he did it from all over the field — everywhere from wide-nine end to inside linebacker Wherever he aligned, trouble was coming for opposing quarterbacks. As great as he was on the edge, he was perhaps more effective inside the tackles.”

usatsi_13364682.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

https://www.eventusa.com/2020/07/20/packers-d-under-pettine-set-to-soar/

** The Packers’ defense was one of only five (San Francisco, Minnesota, New England and Pittsburgh) to allow fewer than 20 points per game, post 40-plus sacks and notch 25-plus takeaways in 2019.

** Green Bay’s defense was No. 1 in the NFC and sixth in the NFL in opponent passer rating at 81.1. Essentially, it means Za’Darius and Preston Smith and the gang turned every opposing quarterback – on average – into Mitchell Trubisky.

** I’ve long believed the opposing passer rating is the single-most accurate statistic in gauging a defense’s competency. The Packers were 11-0 when holding opposing QB’s to less than a 100 passer rating.

** One reason the Packers swept the NFC North was that Green Bay’s defense allowed only 42 points to the Vikings and Bears (combined) in four games – the fewest since 1994 (32).

** The Packers’ 17 interceptions tied for third in the NFL, and their 25 takeaways tied for seventh.

On 6/30/2020 at 11:41 PM, Beast said:

Against pass heavy teams can we just use an a heavy OLB (Zadarius/Gary) in the 3 Tech for the entire game?

I'm interested if it'd work, also if it would, then consider signing edge rusher Clowney too to add to the group, and play it early and often (yes, I know, not realistic).

I think Gary also can play that role. Watched some film of him after Packers drafted him. He forced a lot of double-teams when lining up inside. 

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

https://www.eventusa.com/2020/07/20/packers-d-under-pettine-set-to-soar/

** The Packers’ defense was one of only five (San Francisco, Minnesota, New England and Pittsburgh) to allow fewer than 20 points per game, post 40-plus sacks and notch 25-plus takeaways in 2019.

** Green Bay’s defense was No. 1 in the NFC and sixth in the NFL in opponent passer rating at 81.1. Essentially, it means Za’Darius and Preston Smith and the gang turned every opposing quarterback – on average – into Mitchell Trubisky.

** I’ve long believed the opposing passer rating is the single-most accurate statistic in gauging a defense’s competency. The Packers were 11-0 when holding opposing QB’s to less than a 100 passer rating.

** One reason the Packers swept the NFC North was that Green Bay’s defense allowed only 42 points to the Vikings and Bears (combined) in four games – the fewest since 1994 (32).

** The Packers’ 17 interceptions tied for third in the NFL, and their 25 takeaways tied for seventh.

Wait.  I thought our defense was terrible?  Kevin King was up and down, more down than up.  Martinez only got tackles 5 yards plus down the field.  Everyone ran all over our line.

But we gave up, on average, less than 20 points a game?

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 11:41 PM, Beast said:

1)  No.  You don't play Z in there full time just because of wearing him down.  You save it for certain sets.  Same goes for Gary.  Funny you mention Clowney, I think Gary has a similar skillset.

2)  I'd love Clowney.  His run D and setting the edge against the run is an underrated part of his game.  He also disengages really well and can flat out chase when he wants to.  And we know he is a good rusher.  I don't think he's a great/elite rusher, but he's very good.  I could see him a bunch of different ways.

And I'm a Clowney fan.  But, I feel like he wants elite money.  And he's a good player, but not elite.  I question his desire to play hard if he gets elite money on a long term deal.  Also there's the injury thing with his leg.  Not sure if it hangs in there long term.  Long story short....I'm not sacrificing a top salary roster spot on a guy that I have questions about concerning long term attitude/play.  I'd rather pay up for Clark, Bakh.    Especially since Gary has a similar athletic profile. (Check that better.)

Clowney RAS score...9.7.

Gary RAS score....9.95.

Thinking their scores are based as a defensive end.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Wait.  I thought our defense was terrible?  Kevin King was up and down, more down than up.  Martinez only got tackles 5 yards plus down the field.  Everyone ran all over our line.

But we gave up, on average, less than 20 points a game?

Red zone defense. Packers D was middle of the Pack in terms of yardage, but 8th in preventing TD's in the red zone.  Can't find the stats to prove it, but I suspect that King with his length was especially tough in the red zone. 

On 6/30/2020 at 9:41 PM, Beast said:

Z's a monster, but if you put him at 3T all game teams are just going to run at him.  Sure, he'll make his share of plays, but the last thing I want is my best pass rusher trying to eat double teams and anchor against the run all game.  

You absolutely want Z in the interior on every down that that you're relatively confident may be a pass, but you still need a real 3T to play on other downs.  Honestly, Lowry would be OK-ish in that role, if they were playing a 2-4; unfortunately, as @AlexGreen#20 brought to my attention, Pettine instead decided to inexplicably play a 3-3 with Lancaster at the other 3T/5T instead.  Like, a 3-3 with Gary instead of Lancaster sort of makes sense to me; at least you can play a wild Z/Gary/Clark/Lowry/Preston front and just plan on someone winning their 1v1 hard enough to make the play.  With Lancaster instead, you get exactly what happened in the NFC Championship Game; they run at Lowry and away from Lancaster and completely neutralize both.

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

Z's a monster, but if you put him at 3T all game teams are just going to run at him.  Sure, he'll make his share of plays, but the last thing I want is my best pass rusher trying to eat double teams and anchor against the run all game.  

I know the problems, but if they could stop the run out of that (which I'm not sure they could), but if they could, they could potentially be unstoppable up front. Also Gary and the DTs of course would take some snaps I'm there as well (hopefully Keke steps up), Pettine seemed to really like Lancaster at times but suggests he needs to be more consistent with the positives.

But yeah the OLBers struggled to stop the run on the edges so they'd probably struggle more on the inside, though Pettine really talked up Gary's ability to be powerful and stop the run, so I wonder maybe...

2 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

You absolutely want Z in the interior on every down that that you're relatively confident may be a pass, but you still need a real 3T to play on other downs.  Honestly, Lowry would be OK-ish in that role, if they were playing a 2-4; unfortunately, as @AlexGreen#20 brought to my attention, Pettine instead decided to inexplicably play a 3-3 with Lancaster at the other 3T/5T instead.  Like, a 3-3 with Gary instead of Lancaster sort of makes sense to me; at least you can play a wild Z/Gary/Clark/Lowry/Preston front and just plan on someone winning their 1v1 hard enough to make the play.  With Lancaster instead, you get exactly what happened in the NFC Championship Game; they run at Lowry and away from Lancaster and completely neutralize both.

Lancaster got run on plenty in the NFCCG too unfortunately.

18 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Lancaster got run on plenty in the NFCCG too unfortunately.

Fair point, but I do kinda expect that out of my UDFA run plug against one of the best rushing teams in the league; it's still bad, but I can't really blame him for being what he is, and at least he's in the position you'd want him to be in as Pettine.  But the scheme we ran so much of means that if you run away from him he's more or less not on the field and all you had to do for that big advantage was target the other half of the field.  The fact that the other half of the field also contains Lowry, a man you really don't want as your point man on power runs, is just a bonus for teams.

What on earth was Pettine thinking?  I know we've beaten this horse to death but running a 3-3 with Lancaster\Clark\Lowry still confuses and frightens me.  What offensive scheme is that group actually effective against?  I mean, I assume they basically ran it to try to snag Kenny a 1v1 as much as possible, but you still need a certain level of DT for that kind of under front shenanigans.