Greatest Hitters in NFL History

kwolf68

I watched the NFL Top 10, have googled it and the lists make no sense. Did they watch these guys? Who do you think are the greatest hitters in NFL History. Here are my Top 5

1-Jack Tatum-How he is not the consensus number 1 is mind boggling. This guy was downright dangerous. Forget the Stingley hit, Tatum's a legend period. His collision with Earl Campbell is Cat 5 earthquake level stuff. His hit on Riley Odoms is incredible, the Super Bowl hit on Sammy White. He played the game to destroy people. In fact, the Immaculate Reception probably doesn't even happen had Tatum just played the ball instead of trying to destroy Frenchy Fuqua. But that was Tatum...to destroy. Given he actually was not a big guy makes his ability to hit all the more impressive. 

2-**** Butkus-A player that defined brutal football, arguably the greatest MLB in NFL history. Watching highlights of Butkus and the guy looks like a predator ready to unleash a brutal end to any opponent. He has a hit against Detroit that is one of his signature hits. 

3-Ronnie Lott-Could hit nearly as hard as Tatum and I think was bigger, but didn't play it quite over the edge like Jack, of course rules changes didn't help him also the Raiders just didn't care about rules. On a personal level, Ronnie Lott is one of my favorite non-Bears, no Baltimore Colts players ever, the dude is just awesome. And he had part of a finger amputated so he could keep playing football. Is that awesome or what? Lott is the absolute man and unlike Tatum is probably a lot more likable (though I understand Jack was a nice dude off the field)

4-Jack Lambert-A true enforcer. Like Jack Tatum he really was not a big guy, but he could destroy people. Lambert doesn't rise above the top 3 because I can't remember any signature hits. Lambert was a stud, but his signature plays are enforcer type things (the SB 10 Cliff Harris deal, and running down the sidelines to confront an opponent who had run one of his teammates against the Bengals I think). Lambert was like a hockey enforcer. 

As far as #5, guys like Ray Lewis, John Lynch, Ray Nitschke, Nighttrain Lane, Hardy Brown, and Mike Singletary come to mind. 

One thing I notice here is there are no D-Lineman. That's probably because many hits by LBs and Safeties are out in space where things are moving faster. 

Any other ideas from you old school football fans? 

17 minutes ago, Totty said:

Steve Atwater.  Some of his hits were absolutely brutal.  

Yea I like this one. Atwater for sure. Good call. He's certainly in the mix. The Okuya hit was insane. 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Sean Taylor. 

Gonna go ahead and have to disagree with you there. Taylor could have been a Hall of Fame safety, but I would rank guys I didn't even mention like Dawkins, Atwater, Harrison, Mel Bount all ahead of BT. Don't get me wrong, Taylor was turning into a special football player who could play both run and pass equally well, and while he was a great tackler I can't rank him with those other guys.

Just now, kwolf68 said:

Gonna go ahead and have to disagree with you there. Taylor could have been a Hall of Fame safety, but I would rank guys I didn't even mention like Dawkins, Atwater, Harrison, Mel Bount all ahead of BT. Don't get me wrong, Taylor was turning into a special football player who could play both run and pass equally well, and while he was a great tackler I can't rank him with those other guys.

I feel Taylor is immensely overrated, but there’s no way I would ever say Dawkins (who certainly played with unmatched tenacity, aggressiveness, and effort) was a harder hitter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Duluther said:

I feel Taylor is immensely overrated, but there’s no way I would ever say Dawkins (who certainly played with unmatched tenacity, aggressiveness, and effort) was a harder hitter.

I wouldn't have either in the Top 10. Perhaps Taylor's star rose after he died, but I do think he was becoming a great player, especially after they moved him to FS. 

I feel like safeties will have more opportunities to lay someone out so they'll be overrepresented. I'd suspect ceteris parabus you'd rather not get hit by the linebackers on these lists. The old timers will be overrepresented too since they tackled in ways where they'd be suspended in today's NFL. I don't think I've seen sometime hit as hard and as clean as LT. Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis were great too.

This list is not complete without both "the hitman" and "the hammer". Bob Sanders and Jessie Tuggle.

Other worthy mentions that come to mind

Kam Chancellor
Earl thomas
Bill Romanowski
Derrick Brooks
Junior Seau
Luke kuechly
Mark Barron (for better or worse)
Adam Archuletta
Ed Reed
Greg Lloyd
Mike Brown
Brock Marion (not sure if I'm confusing him with someone else though)

11 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Well that’s just dumb then. Taylor obliterated people. 

• Like 1