Why didn't the Green Bay Packers four-peat as NFC champions from 1996-1999?

Championshiporbust

Follow up question: Why did Holmgren leave? Super Bowl > Super Bowl > Playoffs with close end against dynasty team. That doesn't seem like a normal time to leave a team as a head coach. Did they shaft him on pay or credit or something?

29 minutes ago, Fidgit said:

Follow up question: Why did Holmgren leave? Super Bowl > Super Bowl > Playoffs with close end against dynasty team. That doesn't seem like a normal time to leave a team as a head coach. Did they shaft him on pay or credit or something?

He wanted full control of operations. The Packers wouldn't give it to him.

Edited by PapaShogun

9 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

That seems...ironic. He went to Seattle who stripped him of full control like 5 years later, didn't they? Like right after he drafted Alexander and Hutchinson in the first round too. Maybe I have my timeline wrong.

2 hours ago, Fidgit said:

That seems...ironic. He went to Seattle who stripped him of full control like 5 years later, didn't they? Like right after he drafted Alexander and Hutchinson in the first round too. Maybe I have my timeline wrong.

It's not ironic that he left for a team that gave him full control. That's just...ronic.

20 hours ago, Fidgit said:

That was a few years later though. 

On 6/25/2020 at 12:48 PM, PapaShogun said:

I think this happened back in 1968 with Lombardi.  He wanted part ownership or something like that and the BOD balked at that.  I believe he got that from Washington and that is one of the reasons why he left.  Another reason was he hated being only the Packers' GM in 1969.  I heard stories of him going ballistic up in the owners/GM booth watching Bengston screw up. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 12:48 PM, PapaShogun said:

Which was stupid...Holmgren left for Seattle, they brought in Rhodes for 1 yr and 2 yrs after that, gave Mike Sherman full control (arguably 1 yr, as I've heard that Wolf let Sherman direct the '01 draft, which was ended up being a flaming dumpster fire for GB). So "no, we can't give you full control!" became "eh, Wolf is done" within about 700 days. 

Granted, Holmgren wasn't great as tsar of football in Seattle, but he was definitely better as GM than Sherman was in GB, and was a better coach in the first place (though Sherman wasn't a bad coach; Sherman the coach got completely undermined by Sherman the GM). 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Which was stupid...Holmgren left for Seattle, they brought in Rhodes for 1 yr and 2 yrs after that, gave Mike Sherman full control (arguably 1 yr, as I've heard that Wolf let Sherman direct the '01 draft, which was ended up being a flaming dumpster fire for GB). So "no, we can't give you full control!" became "eh, Wolf is done" within about 700 days. 

Granted, Holmgren wasn't great as tsar of football in Seattle, but he was definitely better as GM than Sherman was in GB, and was a better coach in the first place (though Sherman wasn't a bad coach; Sherman the coach got completely undermined by Sherman the GM). 

Honestly, I thought Holmgren got A LOT better in Seattle when he went back to focusing solely on coaching. 

6 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Honestly, I thought Holmgren got A LOT better in Seattle when he went back to focusing solely on coaching. 

I'm certainly not defending him as a great GM. But he did OK. 

But you are right, the proof is in the W/L record - 31-34 as coach/GM with 1 playoff berth in 4 yrs, 59-46 as HC with 5 playoff berths in 6 yrs. 

On 6/25/2020 at 12:18 PM, Fidgit said:

On 6/25/2020 at 12:58 PM, Fidgit said:

As stated, Holmgren left for full control of an organization, it was something he wanted in Green Bay, but would never get.

The writing was on the wall his entire last year in Green Bay.  And despite the team still performing well, it did have a "lame duck" head coach effect on the team.

Just because he was stripped of full control didn't mean he didn't want it, badly, when in Green Bay.

The real shame for those Packer teams with White/Favre is that the Cowboys were just that darned good at that time.

When GB won their title with Favre/White, White was already aged.  While the team was still very good, I think they were better years before when they couldn't clear that Cowboy hurdle, which was their offensive line.

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

The real shame for those Packer teams with White/Favre is that the Cowboys were just that darned good at that time.

When GB won their title with Favre/White, White was already aged.  While the team was still very good, I think they were better years before when they couldn't clear that Cowboy hurdle, which was their offensive line.

I don't know about the '94 team, but the '95 team was good enough to win a SB. And might've had the chance if not for Erik Williams' cheap shot on Jurko.