Jump to content
Championshiporbust

Why didn't the Green Bay Packers four-peat as NFC champions from 1996-1999?

Recommended Posts

Jerry Rice clearly fumbled and the game should've been over. Absolute bull.

 

The Power of Simplicity – Fairwinds CrossFit

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Packers got out powered by the Broncos in the Super Bowl

The next season they lost to the 49ers in an epic finish, T.O made an amazing catch for the game winning TD. If I remember right Green Bay got a decent return on the final kickoff but the returner just ran out of bounds?

After that Mike Holmgren left for Seattle and that was the big dagger to Favre, plus I believe Reggie White retired as well 

They had a great team but like most, they fall apart after so long 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fave got drunk as hell at super bowl parties the night before and played the game against the Broncos hungover as ****.

Jerry Rice fumbled the next year but they didn't have instant replay.

White retired, Holmgren left, and Ray Rhodes was the worst in 99

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, DannyB said:

Jerry Rice clearly fumbled and the game should've been over. Absolute bull.

 

The Power of Simplicity – Fairwinds CrossFit

Payback for the 1996 MNF game when Don Beebee was clearly touched by Marquez Pope. :)

Edited by PapaShogun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Payback for the 1996 MNF game when Don Beebee was clearly touched by Marquez Pope. :)

...You mean the play in the middle of the 3rd quarter that if called correctly, was still a 30 yard pickup and 1st down in field goal range? You're equating that to a LITERAL game-ending play in the playoffs?

Yeah sorry, you'll have to do better than that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DannyB said:

...You mean the play in the middle of the 3rd quarter that if called correctly, was still a 30 yard pickup and 1st down in field goal range? You're equating that to a LITERAL game-ending play in the playoffs?

Yeah sorry, you'll have to do better than that.

So? It was a free touchdown. The Packers won by 3 points. 49ers win that game they have the HFA in the postseason, and Steve Young doesn't have cracked ribs maybe which he got in the wild card against Philadelphia. You don't know what could have happened on the following set of plays if Beebe was ruled down. Maybe they score anyway. Or maybe Favre fumbles the snap on the next play. I'd rather take the 30 yard gain into FG range instead of a free touchdown. 49ers were leading by 11 at that point. 

You want playoffs, then the 1997 NFC Championship is your game. William Henderson clearly fumbled at the start of the second half after being hit by Lee Woodall, and then Gary Plummer picked it up to run it back for a TD. That would have cut the score to 10-13. Of course the officials missed it. 

This is why I chuckle when Packers fans are bitter about the 1998 wild card game. They had gotten breaks before that. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

So? It was a free touchdown. The Packers won by 3 points. 49ers win that game they have the HFA in the postseason, and Steve Young doesn't have cracked ribs maybe which he got in the wild card against Philadelphia. You don't know what could have happened on the following set of plays if Beebe was ruled down. Maybe they score anyway. Or maybe Favre fumbles the snap on the next play. I'd rather take the 30 yard gain into FG range instead of a free touchdown. 49ers were leading by 11 at that point. 

You want playoffs, then the 1997 NFC Championship is your game. William Henderson clearly fumbled at the start of the second half after being hit by Lee Woodall, and then Gary Plummer picked it up to run it back for a TD. That would have cut the score to 10-13. Of course the officials missed it. 

This is why I chuckle when Packers fans are bitter about the 1998 wild card game. They had gotten breaks before that. 

The point is, in one instance, you have to string together a series of "what ifs", "maybes", and "could haves" to make it work out in your favor.

In the playoff game, all they had to do was get the call right and the Packers win. Boom. Automatically. Game was over. But nope, had to make sure it wasn't Jerry Rice's fault. After all, that was his FIRST catch of the day, with like 30 seconds left, to continue a streak of like 20+ playoff games with a catch. Couldn't let it go down that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holmgren left.  White retired.  That is the "why".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DannyB said:

The point is, in one instance, you have to string together a series of "what ifs", "maybes", and "could haves" to make it work out in your favor.

In the playoff game, all they had to do was get the call right and the Packers win. Boom. Automatically. Game was over. But nope, had to make sure it wasn't Jerry Rice's fault. After all, that was his FIRST catch of the day, with like 30 seconds left, to continue a streak of like 20+ playoff games with a catch. Couldn't let it go down that way.

Ok, and my point is wrong is wrong any way you want to slice it. If you want to start complaining about calls screwing a game for you, don't be in a tight game in the first place. Get a 50 point lead. Don't turn the ball over 4 times. Yeah, if the fumble is called correctly the game is 99.9% over. I've seen stranger things though. Oh well, we'll never know. :) 

Edited by PapaShogun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the Packers in 1998, they probably weren't getting past the Vikings or Atlanta anyway, let alone beating Denver. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of the time when people ask why a team or player didn't win more championships, they don't consider that other great players/teams would necessarily have had to not win as well. The 1995 season/1996 game champions were the Dallas Cowboys triplets dynasty, then the 1997/8 and 1998/9 champs were those great Elway Broncos teams. Finally, the 1999/2000 champions were the GSOT Rams. Not sure which of those teams shouldn't have won or was prime for supplanting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2020 at 1:55 PM, Championshiporbust said:

Favre was in his prime, why didn't the Packers get back to the Super Bowl in 1998 and 1999, I think Favre could have won two in that period? 

Because the NFL isn't the NBA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They passed on Randy Moss. Plain and simple. Several teams made that mistake, but I think that the Packers, Dolphins, and Cowboys were the ones that messed up the most when they passed on the star Marshall WR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Ok, and my point is wrong is wrong any way you want to slice it. If you want to start complaining about calls screwing a game for you, don't be in a tight game in the first place. Get a 50 point lead. Don't turn the ball over 4 times. Yeah, if the fumble is called correctly the game is 99.9% over. I've seen stranger things though. Oh well, we'll never know. :) 

You don't want to own up to the fact that your team directly won the game because of a bad call. I get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...