Why didn't the Green Bay Packers four-peat as NFC champions from 1996-1999?

Championshiporbust

41 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I don't know about the '94 team, but the '95 team was good enough to win a SB. And might've had the chance if not for Erik Williams' cheap shot on Jurko. 

As much as I love my Packers, especially back then....  I still think Dallas wins that game.  Their o-line was as dominant a line as there ever was.  They would wear yah down and break your back while taking your soul in the fourth quarter.  And the thing that made them so great?  They KNEW they would.  It wasn't a matter about knowing they could, they knew they would.

It was odd both respecting and hating a team at the same time.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

As much as I love my Packers, especially back then....  I still think Dallas wins that game.  Their o-line was as dominant a line as there ever was.  They would wear yah down and break your back while taking your soul in the fourth quarter.  And the thing that made them so great?  They KNEW they would.  It wasn't a matter about knowing they could, they knew they would.

It was odd both respecting and hating a team at the same time.

Still, in a close game vs a ground and pound team, you lose your starting NT? Could've been the difference. 

The Packers were gassed against Denver....The defense was sucking air....Eugene Robinson was telling his defensive playmates the Broncos weren't a very good team, and that the Packers were letting them take the championship away from them....I think when Terrell Davis went out with the migraine, GB relaxed some....

I believe this SB was Denver's first championship...It was clear the team wanted to win one for John Elway....Watching Elway run the ball fighting for the endzone that they (Denver) was willing to do whatever it would take to take home the Lombardi trophy...

19 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Still, in a close game vs a ground and pound team, you lose your starting NT? Could've been the difference. 

Also, on Dallas's first TD drive, they benefited from a blatant pick play that wasn't called (Holmgren was yelling at the refs). Then, after Favre threw a bad INT to Lett (that put GB in a 14-3 hole), he overthrew a wide open Anthony Morgan after they came back to take a 17-14 lead.

22 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

The Packers were gassed against Denver....The defense was sucking air....Eugene Robinson was telling his defensive playmates the Broncos weren't a very good team, and that the Packers were letting them take the championship away from them....I think when Terrell Davis went out with the migraine, GB relaxed some....

Nah, Gabe Wilkins injured his knee and could have played, but didn't because he was going to be a FA. And I've watched the tape - Darius Holland replaced him and got BLASTED off the line by Denver's OL all day; the only time he got a hand on TD was a 15 yd facemask penalty. So in addition to Holmgren falling into his own trap ("Dorsey is really running the ball well, so let's cross 'em up and pass!"), the Wilkins/Holland DE combo shares a good chunk of blame.