Jump to content

Cobra Kai - Season 3 out now - Season 4 in production


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Miyagi  Miyagi'd so it had that going for it.  Aren't all movies cash grabs?

Technically yes...but cash grabs usually refer to movies that arent even really trying to be good, and are usually just leaching off of big names (actors or franchises) to make their money.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Season 3 may have even been better than season 1...IMO, of course.   They packed so much in and it was all done well.   Again, some of the fight choreography was sloppy, but you cant expect perfection from a bunch of young, non professional fighters.   Most of the action was entertaining, though.

There were a few things I wasn't a fan of, but nothing that hurt the season as a whole.

Now, I get to be depressed waiting another year+ for season 4.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang that was fantastic.

I LOVE that Ali was the one to finally get Daniel and Johnny to reconcile. 30 year payoff to the start of the conflict. Fantastic by the writing team

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This season was the best one yet and left me anticipating next season. Kreese is the ultimate villain. This show btw will have gone through the entire trilogy by the end of this season and the tease at the end are anything to go by. 
 

I’m glad they are embracing the whole series and not just the first one. It would have been easy to do that. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Dang that was fantastic.

 

  Hide contents

I LOVE that Ali was the one to finally get Daniel and Johnny to reconcile. 30 year payoff to the start of the conflict. Fantastic by the writing team

 

  Hide contents

Im glad they didnt have Johnny and Ali get  together.    I was worried about that when she said she was single and was basically throwing herself at him.    Just seems too easy.   Although the drama that could unfold next season if Miguel finds out about Johnny and his mom could be....something.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 43M said:

 

  Hide contents

Im glad they didnt have Johnny and Ali get  together.    I was worried about that when she said she was single and was basically throwing herself at him.    Just seems too easy.   Although the drama that could unfold next season if Miguel finds out about Johnny and his mom could be....something.   

I had a brief worry that he would F things up with Carmen but throughout all the Ali stuff I realized that Shue probably only wanted to have a cameo stint and not really become a regular character again. Honestly I am most excited about a potential return of Silver next season.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is one thing I didnt really like....

  Hide contents

Hawk's change, much like Miguel's in season 1, seemed to come out of nowhere....except even more abrupt.

He broke Dimitri's arm, told Kreese about Johnny's new karate school, robbed the money from the charity car wash, beat the fat bully into a bloody pulp and helped stage a full on ambush at the LaRusso home, and then all of a sudden, just decides to become good again and they just accept him back immediately?    Im not saying it cant happen where someones conscience just all of a sudden catches up to them, but there wasnt really natural progression.   Yes, there were times during the season where Hawk seemed to have doubts, but It just seemed like they were either unsure what to do with him, or were just doing everything possible to throw people off about him, that it just ended up feeling forced.

After he broke Dimitri's arm, I feel like they shouldve locked him into Cobra Kai, at least until next season.   Wouldve been more natural IMO if he had refused to break Dimitris arm, got into it with Kyler and the other Corba's for showing mercy, at which point Kyler broke Hawk's arm, and he was kicked off Cobra Kai by Kreese for being weak. 

Not a huge knock.     I loved season 3.     But that

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 43M said:

Here is one thing I didnt really like....

  Hide contents

Hawk's change, much like Miguel's in season 1, seemed to come out of nowhere....except even more abrupt.

He broke Dimitri's arm, told Kreese about Johnny's new karate school, robbed the money from the charity car wash, beat the fat bully into a bloody pulp and helped stage a full on ambush at the LaRusso home, and then all of a sudden, just decides to become good again and they just accept him back immediately?    Im not saying it cant happen where someones conscience just all of a sudden catches up to them, but there wasnt really natural progression.   Yes, there were times during the season where Hawk seemed to have doubts, but It just seemed like they were either unsure what to do with him, or were just doing everything possible to throw people off about him, that it just ended up feeling forced.

After he broke Dimitri's arm, I feel like they shouldve locked him into Cobra Kai, at least until next season.   Wouldve been more natural IMO if he had refused to break Dimitris arm, got into it with Kyler and the other Corba's for showing mercy, at which point Kyler broke Hawk's arm, and he was kicked off Cobra Kai by Kreese for being weak. 

Not a huge knock.     I loved season 3.     But that

 

 

I can definitely see where you are coming from, but let me play devil's advocate here. I think they drop hints throughout the season that he isnt really Cobra Kai and is just kidding himself the entire time. Each moment of choice you see him hesitate or become unsure. He hesitated before breaking Dimitri's arm for instance. However, despite all that, I think what kept him in Cobra Kai was simply his own insecurity. When Kyler and the others joined, you saw his emotions on that pretty clearly. However he saw what happened to buttface and his insecurity tripled so he leaned into it. In his mind, he is nothing without Cobra Kai. That is why we see him internally questions EVERYTHING throughout the season. In actuality he knew he didnt want to be in THIS Cobra Kai, but he did it anyways because he was petrified of going back to pre-hawk. When he sees that other CK about to do to Dimitri what he did, it was like having an out of body experience and he realized just who he had become and he didnt like what he saw. 

Yes, you can still argue that even with all that in mind, it seemed a tad sudden. Honestly though, it didn't bother me all that much. If it was Robby, Miguel, or Sam who had a sudden flip it'd probably bother me a lot more. I do think, when it comes down to it, Hawk will always be a slave to his insecurities. It's why he beats the ever living ISH out of Kyler in the dojo. It's why he stuck with Kreese for so long. He finally gets an outside perspective during that fight and realizes this is not his Cobra Kai anymore. He doesn't like what Kreese has done. 

As a viewer, seeing him accepted into the new dual group IS weird. However, when you consider that Dimitri and him had been friends all their lives their rift in season 2 to the end of season 3 was only a few months out of maybe a decade of friendship. Him and Miguel never really stopped being friends. I think he will be a source of contention for the new group a lot next season. Although ultimately I am glad he is in a position where I can root for him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

 

  Hide contents

I can definitely see where you are coming from, but let me play devil's advocate here. I think they drop hints throughout the season that he isnt really Cobra Kai and is just kidding himself the entire time. Each moment of choice you see him hesitate or become unsure. He hesitated before breaking Dimitri's arm for instance. However, despite all that, I think what kept him in Cobra Kai was simply his own insecurity. When Kyler and the others joined, you saw his emotions on that pretty clearly. However he saw what happened to buttface and his insecurity tripled so he leaned into it. In his mind, he is nothing without Cobra Kai. That is why we see him internally questions EVERYTHING throughout the season. In actuality he knew he didnt want to be in THIS Cobra Kai, but he did it anyways because he was petrified of going back to pre-hawk. When he sees that other CK about to do to Dimitri what he did, it was like having an out of body experience and he realized just who he had become and he didnt like what he saw. 

Yes, you can still argue that even with all that in mind, it seemed a tad sudden. Honestly though, it didn't bother me all that much. If it was Robby, Miguel, or Sam who had a sudden flip it'd probably bother me a lot more. I do think, when it comes down to it, Hawk will always be a slave to his insecurities. It's why he beats the ever living ISH out of Kyler in the dojo. It's why he stuck with Kreese for so long. He finally gets an outside perspective during that fight and realizes this is not his Cobra Kai anymore. He doesn't like what Kreese has done. 

As a viewer, seeing him accepted into the new dual group IS weird. However, when you consider that Dimitri and him had been friends all their lives their rift in season 2 to the end of season 3 was only a few months out of maybe a decade of friendship. Him and Miguel never really stopped being friends. I think he will be a source of contention for the new group a lot next season. Although ultimately I am glad he is in a position where I can root for him.

 

Didnt bother me enough to effect my feelings about the season.   Just felt like it couldve been done better.

As well as everything else is written, this just sticks out to me.     There have been maybe 3 or 4 instances of odd character developments in this series.    Miguel's change in the first season was one of them.   This is another instance.

Again, nothing that notably damages the quality for me...but I have to nitpick a little.  😏

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...