Cobra Kai - Season 3 out now - Season 4 in production

On 1/1/2021 at 10:15 PM, 43M said:

Hide contents

Im glad they didnt have Johnny and Ali get  together.    I was worried about that when she said she was single and was basically throwing herself at him.    Just seems too easy.   Although the drama that could unfold next season if Miguel finds out about Johnny and his mom could be....something.   

This is the direction that I thought they were heading too. And I felt sorry for Johnny too because that's part of what is missing in his life is a significant other and he JUST got one with Miguel's mother at the same time he has a opportunity with Ali.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

Finished watching season 3 tonight and this was definitely needed after what I thought was a pretty average season 2 IMO (felt too much like a teen drama show you would find on CW) after coming off of a very good season 1.  

But this season has certainly brought back some of those great aspects from season 1 and even expounded on it even more by offering much more detail into each of the characters past.   Even going as far as to explaining how and why Kreese is the way that he is and how he even came up with the name "Cobra Kai" in the first place.  

There are parts that did feel rushed but I really like how this show doesn't stray away from it's origins while also not overdoing it with nostalgia just for the sake of nostalgia. 

A few things small notable things I really liked and others I disliked the most. ( I'll add spoilers to these). 

What I did like:

1) Miguel's recovery was slow paced, not rushed, and done perfectly overall.  The idea that Miguel could never walk again was just added for extra drama, and only used to setup the "punchline" per-say,  but I don't think any viewer really believed he was never going to walk again.  We all knew what was going to happen and so did the writers/producers, and they did a really good job of never trying too hard to sell it that way either-- ala daytime soap opera or something to that effect.   

I was really afraid they would rush it and make Johnny look like some sort of inspired healing hero and they didn't.  Especially when Johnny ran into the hospital and immediately yelled at Miguel, just because he had just got yelled at by his (former) trainer, and told Miguel to get up and reach for the phone while the suspenseful, built-up, inspiring music played in the background.  I was so relieved when Miguel didn't get much further than he would have if Johnny hadn't moved the phone from where it was at initially and did an immediate face plant straight to the hard ceramic flooring--at least he "fell like a champ".....haha.   Add in Johnny's comedic reaction and it was great. 

We saw these type of "failures", and good scenes, happen multiple times throughout the season, and even got a glimpse at how Johnny had exhausted every crazy *** idea he had to the point that he had to resort to learning how to internet.  
And yes, he had some crazy ideas......he set the kid on fire for Christ sake and the list he had included; electric shock, hypnosis, and LSD....Haha.  Thank God for "webbemmed" huh lol. (Gotta love Johnny....he is hands down my favorite character). 

Anyhow, these were small but impactful scenes that showed Miguel's slow progression at perfect pace while also offering some comedic relief at the right times and in the right places. 

2) Daniel going back to Japan. This was probably one of my favorite ideas of the season but I do think they rushed this part and I really wish they had more time to include atleast one more episode ---too much happened at once (more on that later as part of my disliked parts of the season).  All in all though, I loved the idea of him going back and being reuniting with Kumoko and Chosen and also learning more about Miyagi, and most importantly learning a part of "Miyago-do" that he didn't even know existed.

I think this small detail is very important to recognize because it shows that even the great "Daniel-san" is still learning after all these years and not even he knows all there is to learn about it yet.  They could expand on this idea in a variety of different ways if they really wanted too.  But nevertheless, it was good "twist" (for lack of a better word) that again keeps to origin of the Karate Kid and one that makes alot of sense.   

What I didn't like:

1) This is kind of a 3 part thing expanding off one of my liked parts about Daniel going to Japan and why I feel it was very rushed.  

For one, when Daniel pulled up to the "Village" in a cab he was shocked to see that it was turned into a mall. But why was he surprised? It's modern times and he has access to all available modern devices with modern apps that could've told him all of this information before hand.  One quick google search would've told him everything he needed to know. Especially a bustling "Village" like that one. It's not as if it's out in the sticks anymore. 

For two, he isn't even there 5 minutes and he just happens to see Kumoko on stage.  

For three, I didn't like how Daniel seemingly learned an entirely new technique in a matter of hours (remember it was daylight when he and Chosen had met and it was still daylight when Daniel was leaving).  Now I know Chosen gave him the scroll but cmon...he still had to time to learn it, perfect, AND teach his daughter??? Remember Daniel was so busy that he didn't know something else important that he should have (I forget what it was now). 

I know these are just nit-picks but it stood out enough worth mentioning and if they had spent one more episode of him being in Japan then this could've been avoided. Or at the very least make it seem like he was there longer than 1 day and a half. 

2) WAY too much emphasis on fighting.   Alot of which seemed very unnecessary.....  I know it's "karate show" but cmon.....not every scene needs to end in a fight.  Alot of which didn't even make any sense or did anything to further the storyline.  It seemed like they were just putting fighting in because it's a fighting show. 

---The priest sweep kicking Johnny in front of his crowded church was totally meaningless.  He could've easily just ended the conversation and asked Johnny to leave and it would've have damaged the storyline at all. 

---The random fight scene in the car shop was straight out of every B action movie in the 80's where they need just ONE scene where the hero beats up multiple guys for no apparent reason.

---Robby's fights in jail. Why? If the whole point of this was to have Kreese come to and basically say "you can't always rely on defense" then they didn't need to do the typical "bullies in jail doing typical bully things--even though they know Robby is a martial artist" angle to accomplish this.  We've seen this angle too many times.....especially in this series.

---Kreese's fight with the landlords two nephews. Again, none of this was needed and was way over the top.  Landlord goes in to confront a person he knows is a former military personnel with decades of martial artist background and the "calls" his nephews from the middle of the building, who BTW are waiting outside, while facing in the opposite direction of them with his light raspy voice and expects them to hear him AND beat this guy in a fight. 

Way too much, IMO.  In fact, IMO, it would've made more sense to have had Kreese kicked out of the place and move his dojo to the park while Johnny gets his original place back. This was over the top for me. This just seemed like the typical "bad guy has the best equipment, best tools, etc and the good guy has the worst to work with" cliche.  

3) Kumoko bringing Daniel and Chosen together to mend their differences was too closely compared how Ali inadvertently did the same thing with Daniel and Johnny.  I know this VERY nit pick but it bothered more because of how the season ended. 

4) The ending was similar to season 2-- an all-out brawl--which seemed to over the top, IMO.  Not as bad as the 2nd but still basically the same ending.  

5) Hawks sudden epiphany.  43 already mentioned this and I agree......that was lazy.  He just stops mid-fight and suddenly has an epiphany that what he is doing is wrong?!  They could've done much better here.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 2

A lot of very good things about this season. Overall I enjoyed it a lot. A couple of thoughts:

Johnny and Miguel are the best duo going in television right now. Both are so so good in their own right, but together they take the show to the level that made the first movie great for many of the same reasons.

They're so good, that it juxtaposes very glaringly with some of the weaker subplots. This is an issue that's existed since the beginning, (Daniel's butthurtedness over the existence of Cobra Kai in the midst of his perfect life was annoying in the first two seasons) but it's particularly glaring now that we seemingly have run out of things for Sam to do.

She's always been the weakest character, but she took it to an entirely different level this season. None of the main kids actually look like karate kids (Miguel comes the closest, but even he's not there) but she doesn't even look like she participates in athletics at all. It's jarring when she's "fighting". She also doesn't do anything interesting. Much in the way that all of Daniel's problems are first world rich dude problems, her problems are somehow more inane in that they're first world rich teenage girl problems. It doesn't help that her foil is Tori who was having her landlord issues which were legitimate ******* problems.

The character assassination of Tori is so frustrating. I get that kids coming up in bad situations don't always learn their lesson, but she was doing SO SO SO WELL. There was an arc there that could have been something more than her ending up in the exact same ******* spot. She works with both Miguel and Robby. Just pick one, so I can stop dealing with both of them working with Sam. 

and as always **** Dimitri. So god damn annoying. 

7 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

I wouldn't exactly call it sudden. That character is questioning every decision they make the entire season. The signs are there early.

The signs are there, but events leading up to it really don't support it...

I mean, the orchestrating the snake theft, that was all Hawk. He was trying to get into Kreese's good graces...

• Like 1

One thing I thought of when finishing up...

- I don't want to see Cobra Kai: The College Years

- I don't want Cobra Kai: The Next Generation

- I don't want Cobra Kai: Mission to Mars (in case they really want to jump the shark).

In essence - whenever they get to the 51st Annual All Valley Under 18 Tournament, the story should be coming to an end. I think that should be about two seasons long, but no talk of Sam taking Miyagi-Do to Berkley or Miguel prepping for a space mission.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The signs are there, but events leading up to it really don't support it...

Reveal hidden contents

I mean, the orchestrating the snake theft, that was all Hawk. He was trying to get into Kreese's good graces...

I mean kind of. The result of that scene drives home what company they've kept which is pretty much what leads to what happens later.

17 hours ago, ET80 said:
  Hide contents

One thing I thought of when finishing up...

- I don't want to see Cobra Kai: The College Years

- I don't want Cobra Kai: The Next Generation

- I don't want Cobra Kai: Mission to Mars (in case they really want to jump the shark).

In essence - whenever they get to the 51st Annual All Valley Under 18 Tournament, the story should be coming to an end. I think that should be about two seasons long, but no talk of Sam taking Miyagi-Do to Berkley or Miguel prepping for a space mission.

While I dont really disagree at all, if the show continues doing well, Netflix will try to find a way to keep it going...for better or worse.

That being said...the focus doesnt necessarily have to stay on Robby, Miguel or Sam.  They could perhaps be involved with the show, but they might just have minor parts.

It could possibly fast forward a few years and maybe Daniel's son gets involved or have a new group of students.

Personally, I would like to see it wrap up after 4 or 5 seasons, but something to consider....

Hide contents

....everyone assumes that Johnny and Daniel will beat Cobra Kai at the next All Valley, which is the most likely outcome, but what if that doesnt happen?     That could set up something entirely different.

And we know guys like Terry Silver and Mike Barnes are likely to come along at some point....as soon as next season.      What if one of them were start a new dojo, or take over Cobra Kai in some way?

Again, I would prefer they end the show with the next All Valley, because I would hate to see the show jump the shark....but there are a number of directions they could go to take the show into future seasons.

I just wrote up a long review, only to lose it when editing.   This is why when I make long posts on here, I usually type into Microsoft Word first, and then transfer it over.    

Ugh....maybe another time.  😡

3 hours ago, 43M said:

While I dont really disagree at all, if the show continues doing well, Netflix will try to find a way to keep it going...for better or worse.

I agree, I can see this. Don't like it, but I see it.

3 hours ago, 43M said:

That being said...the focus doesnt necessarily have to stay on Robby, Miguel or Sam.  They could perhaps be involved with the show, but they might just have minor parts.

It could possibly fast forward a few years and maybe Daniel's son gets involved or have a new group of students.

See, this feels like a "The Next Generation" sort of change. I really have little interest in that, it'll feel like a money grab at this point.

This story feels fresh and clean, largely in part due to the dynamic of Daniel, Johnny and Kreese. We've investigated their pasts and the paths they took to get to this point, and that was the overarching story that wove itself into the stories of Sam, Miguel, Robby. How do you infuse that with another Generation... and keep it fresh? I don't think you really can.

3 hours ago, 43M said:

Hide contents

• Like 2

Finished last night. Amanda Larusso is actually the best character. She saved us from a potential Ali/Carmen/Johnny love triangle that would have been awful for everyone.

I can't see it having more than one more season, there isn't much room for more allegiance switching and betraying left. Ending with a final tournament seems appropriate. Was kind of disappointed that this one ended with an all out brawl again.

Still the show was an absolute pleasure to sit through.

Edited by skywindO2

Hope we get season 4 this summer. I think we'll get at least 5 seasons. Terry Silver and probably Mike Barnes make an appearance next season. Then season 5 allows them to pull it all together and finish it off. 

The main characters are all still in the middle of their junior year of high school at the end of season 3 (slightly before it actually).  The first two seasons took them from sophmores to the beginning of their junior year.  If they can stretch the storyline over 2 more All Valley Tournaments, they could get 6 seasons and have them as high school grads at the end of it without rushing it too much, but they would need to add a couple other dynamics to the story.  If they stretch it beyond that, it would just be milking it beyond what one can reasonably expect.

• Like 1

I'll post more tomorrow when I have more time, but one crazy *** prediction that could help move the plot to the Sr year All Valley championship:

Some random wins the all valley and none of Cobra Kai, Eagle Fang, or Miyagi Do win.

• Like 1