Should roster size be increased because of Covid-19?

jofos

I just heard a quarter of the Clemson team just tested positive for covid.

So these guys are working out with weights and cardio to be in absolute peak physical condition. And none of them knew they had it.

I want to trust the CDC and take their advice on public health but with the statistical evidence we now have, I can't see any justification to continue restricting the overwhelming majority of the population.

• Like 1

I think the owners have to consider it for this season at least and here is why - Lets say for example the Minnesota Vikings have an outbreak of Covid and it hits the O-Line room during a meeting and next thing you know 5 or more of one teams O-Line has Covid, has to quarantine, and miss a game or two....could you imagine an NFL team rolling into a big game with say only 1 stater on the O-Line while the others sit out? I think we have to get back to normal but adding depth to teams is a must I believe

It's far too late to implement something like that, but I do think they should expand the rosters if they they intend to have a regular season play out as usual because of the high risks.

That said, they should cancel the season altogether until things return to normal and AFTER we have a working vaccine atleast, IMO. 

I have not heard of any hospitals in our country getting overloaded, in fact many are sending nurses home Early due to the money they’ve lost in other areas. I think we will be fine. Just because someone tests positive for coronavirus doesn’t mean anything bad will happen. They might get sick for a few days then move on. To the topic at hand, if I was a player and had any immuno-compromised family member or an elderly family member, I would just social distance from them until a vaccine is ready for them. This virus has been overblown so badly. 

I agree with most so far, increasing the roster simply increases the chance of infection. I read that they were thinking of increasing the PS but the same applies there unless of course you can fully separate your roster from practice squad.

Edited by GordyTheGoffer

The rosters should be expanded even without COVID. The season is going to get longer and guys are putting more wear and tear on their bodies. We already have teams every year who get hit with the injury bug so bad that they are signing guys off the street just to keep a full roster. Let the teams have more guys to begin with. It would result in a better product when players inevitably get hurt. Someone mentioned expanding the practice squad, which is a good idea.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The rosters should be expanded even without COVID. The season is going to get longer and guys are putting more wear and tear on their bodies. We already have teams every year who get hit with the injury bug so bad that they are signing guys off the street just to keep a full roster. Let the teams have more guys to begin with. It would result in a better product when players inevitably get hurt. Someone mentioned expanding the practice squad, which is a good idea.

I think its ridiculous when a team is down to their "last" anything because of injuries/suspensions.  The league should set aside X amount of money in the salary cap for more reserve players.  There's plenty of talent coming out of college every year and more than enough money to make it happen.

Bigger practice squads make a lot of sense.

Maybe they will stick with it and NFL can change way it practices and actually start developing players at a better clip.

QBs could actually be developed while not starting.  

It would be nice to be able to change an athletic TE or DL into an OL.   Or a basketball player into a WR or TE.  Or teach a Rugby player to play football.  

Think about it.  Almost every coach puts their better big athletes at TE or DL first and OL second at every level of football.  A lot of those guys are better athletes than current NFL OL, but lack the skills.    

NFL can't get it done as is.  Or rarely does.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, blizofoz45 said:

I just heard a quarter of the Clemson team just tested positive for covid.

So these guys are working out with weights and cardio to be in absolute peak physical condition. And none of them knew they had it.

I want to trust the CDC and take their advice on public health but with the statistical evidence we now have, I can't see any justification to continue restricting the overwhelming majority of the population.

122,000 dead people would probably disagree with you.  

• Like 2